How Long at each belt level

GSoden

White Belt
Reaction score
I thought for sure I could get this info by searching through old threads but I can't. Anyhow....

I am curious, is there a general time frame between belts? Meaning, how long between promotions. I know time frames will vary depending on the person but I am curious as to what those of you with far more experience have seen. My school is a traditional TKD and is an accredited member of the WTF and is certified through the Kukkiwon (hopefully I got that right).

Thanks for any help you can give.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For the USTF (which I used to belong to, and which based its time-in-rank on Gen. Choi's Encyclopedia of TaeKwon-Do), the minimums are 3 months between gup (color belt) ranks, 6 months from 1st gup to 1st dan, and then the number of years between dan ranks = the rank being tested for (e.g. 1st dan to 2nd dan = 2 years; 2nd dan to 3rd dan = 3 years, etc.). Please remember these are minimums - most people don't meet them.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with Kacey to a point, to me there really cannot be a time frame each and every person developed at there rate of speed and there ability to learn the given material. Some may progress like General Choi's has in his book other may take five to eight years to receive there BB.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with Kacey to a point, to me there really cannot be a time frame each and every person developed at there rate of speed and there ability to learn the given material. Some may progress like General Choi's has in his book other may take five to eight years to receive there BB.
I don't dispute that, Terry - that's why I tried to emphasize the word "minimum" so clearly - very few people reach black belt in the minimum time; I know I didn't.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't dispute that, Terry - that's why I tried to emphasize the word "minimum" so clearly - very few people reach black belt in the minimum time; I know I didn't.

Oh I agree Kacey what I was saying is that General Choi encyclopedia needs to have a better time frame in my opinion, not that you do.

tkd_Jaz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Our school is also a member of the WTF and is certified through the Kukkiwon. Once you reach your green belt we have certain material which we learn during a course of 3 months. Before you test though you have to "challange" for lets say your pattern. What this is, is that the master or instructor watches you go through your pattern and if it is where it's supposed to be then you get a stripe (we use colored tape). When you get all your stripes that means that you are ready to test (this meaning also that you've attended class and have good and optimistic attitude)

mjd

Green Belt
Reaction score
Time should not be an issue, train hard, keep it real, you'll get there.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh I agree Kacey what I was saying is that General Choi encyclopedia needs to have a better time frame in my opinion, not that you do.

Well, like I said, it's a minimum; also, it's in hours of training, not in days/months/years, precisely - so it kind of depends on how much training (not practice time - actual training with an instructor) you can get. People who don't practice/train at home will hit a point where they won't progress any more, because they won't be ready just on the time put in during class. And then, you have to have your instructor's clearance to test, anyway - at which point it comes down to your instructor's integrity in judging your fitness to test.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
My curriculum requires 3 months between gueps until 2nd guep when it jumps to 6 months (so at red belt the student is 1 year away from testing). However, these are minimums and frankly, if I don't have enough people ready to test, I will either wait until I do, or just award someone their next rank on the spot (except for black belt levels).

I don't recall having anyone test for 1st dan who had less than 4 years training. I have several students who are 1st guep who have trained for 6+ years who are nearly there but not quite. I think having a smaller group allows me to be a little selective about when someone tests. I do like the idea that Kacey mentioned about tracking hours of training. I track # of classes within a testing cycle, but that is different.

Miles

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In our organization, students track their training with a goal portfollio. They show it to me at each test. Every part of training (including demos, & tournaments) are listed. It's a great way to track progress for the student & instructor. (All BB's have one as well).

I test beggining students (up to 7th gup) every 3 months (minimum). 6 months minimum after that. 1st gup to BB is a year wait minimum.

OP
G

GSoden

White Belt
Reaction score
great info...thanks to everyone for their input. I really appreciate it.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Many years ago when I studied TKD we tested every 3 months then every year after reaching black belt till we reached 4th. Not sure how long it was between 4th and 5th or anything higher

WMKS Shogun

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just for clarification, Tshadowchaser, when you say testing every year after black belt until 4th, do you mean you tested for 2nd Dan approximately 1 year after you passed your 1st Dan test, and then 3rd one year ofter your 2nd Dan test? If so, to everything I have been taught, that seems REALLY REALLY short. (Not blaming you or saying anything against you or your training, only that it sounds odd to what I had been previously taught, which incidentally, is more in line with the ITF's views of minimum time between Dan testings).

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
At my school we test every three months or so (it isn't written in stone), and if you are invited to test, you test. You can't ask to test ;) Theoretically you could go up in rank every three months until BB, but to my understanding no one has ever done that. If you ask one of the instructors how long it takes to BB from white belt, they'll tell you 5 years for an adult, but you can quicken the pace by practicing a lot outside the dojang.

jim

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
As a general guidline, I test every 3 months, but each student is different so I will tell each one if they are ready to test.

Latest Discussions