How Important is Fighting in YOUR Martial Art?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
once again we come to how much knowledge each of the people have. Also we must consider what the length of the blade is and the arm reach of each person along with if either person is unable to move quickly.
I have practiced blade work for about 40 years and yes have faced a few on the street when empty handed so I can say from experience that there are many many things to consider in situations involving a blade.

Practice will condition some skills so that they become almost instinctual and that helps whom ever is in a fight situation. Therefor the more you practice and spar/fight no matter what strength the better your reflexes should become

Oh and one last word on this a dull blade causes some nasty and I do mean nasty cuts

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Usually, the winner of a Knife vs. Knife fight is the guy who dies at the hospital, later :)

Very dramatic statement. Completely untrue, but very dramatic.

Being sent home with some stitches is by far the most common outcome for the "loser" of the fight. A trip to the OR would be second (generally as a a result of stab wounds; slashing wounds are far less likely to cause significant injury) is second, and actually dying is a distant 3rd.

But what do I know? I've only been in the ER for like 30 years, and it's not like actual real world experience matters, when there's YouTube and hearsay instead, right?

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For myself when the rubber hit the road in the really real world I didn't do any of the fancy stuff I've been taught to handle the stabber. I used a barricade approach by holding a large object between me and them and used it like a shield till I could bash the blade out of their hand. Came away without a scratch (miracle).

OP
elder999

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score

Being sent home with some stitches is by far the most common outcome for the "loser" of the fight. A trip to the OR would be second (generally as a a result of stab wounds; slashing wounds are far less likely to cause significant injury) is second, and actually dying is a distant 3rd.

But what do I know? I've only been in the ER for like 30 years, and it's not like actual real world experience matters, when there's YouTube and hearsay instead, right?

Thanks, Double-D...I'm busy, tired and cranky of late, and don't have the energy to waste on a keyboard, trying to share what little wisdom and experience I have with those who insist on clinging to ignorance (not saying that mr. friedrice falls into that category, but I'm too busy to bother finding out....)

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Thanks for this informative post coming from a person with the experience to speak with some authority.

On the other hand, it's probably just as well to keep in mind that it is quite possible for both participants in a knife fight to sustain serious, even life threatening injuries. Maybe this would be more common in a culture where settling scores with knives is more common and access to modern medical care is not as available?

Another unpleasant factor to consider is the fact that both participants in a "knife fight" (does that mean a duel as compared to self-defence?) will have to deal with the legal consequences of their actions. I can't imagine that that would be fun either.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I was just joking really, more to stress how I wouldn't want to be involved in any knife on knife fight.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for this informative post coming from a person with the experience to speak with some authority.

On the other hand, it's probably just as well to keep in mind that it is quite possible for both participants in a knife fight to sustain serious, even life threatening injuries. Maybe this would be more common in a culture where settling scores with knives is more common and access to modern medical care is not as available?

Another unpleasant factor to consider is the fact that both participants in a "knife fight" (does that mean a duel as compared to self-defence?) will have to deal with the legal consequences of their actions. I can't imagine that that would be fun either.

Possible? Sure. Likely? Not so much. Most knife wounds are slashing wounds. Most are fairly superficial. Most will heal just fine without medical care. Closing a knife wound is done to minimize scarring. Without closure, wounds like this will still heal just fine. They'll just be more visible.

And "settling scores with knives" (and guns) is extremely common in the USA. I don't really know that it's any more common in other countries.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
And "settling scores with knives" (and guns) is extremely common in the USA. I don't really know that it's any more common in other countries.

I don't know either. I have a Filipino friend who said that said that settling scores, and even dueling with blades was more common back in his country. That was his perception. I really wouldn't know if he's correct. Even here in the U.S., I don't hang out where fist fights are common. Much less knifings and shootings.

My only contact with that stuff since I moved to my current neighborhood was when a neighbor's 14 year old daughter caught a bullet in the head and dropped dead while sitting in her back yard talking on the phone. The yard is protected by a high block fence, and it appeared that the bullet pretty much fell from the sky. Nobody even heard a shot. The shooter was probably at least a half mile away and never knew he killed someone. 16 years later, it's a cold case, no leads. Just goes to show, nobody's ever totally safe, wherever you are. Stuff happens.

BTW this happend less than 50 yards from my backyard in a great old neighbohood in central Phoenix. FYI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shannon's_law_(Arizona)

Last edited:
OP
elder999

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Human beings are remarkably resilient. I have my own, rather insignificant knife wounds. I came out "on top," in both of those situations-didn't seek medical attention for the one that I should have, got stitches for the one that I probably didn't have to bother, and now, more than 30 years later, you have to look pretty hard to identify either of them. I'd take pictures, but I don't think they show.....

anyway, human beings are remarkably resilient.
rolling.gif
knifeinnose.jpg
hardtokill.jpg

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Human beings are remarkably resilient. I have my own, rather insignificant knife wounds. I came out "on top," in both of those situations-didn't seek medical attention for the one that I should have, got stitches for the one that I probably didn't have to bother, and now, more than 30 years later, you have to look pretty hard to identify either of them. I'd take pictures, but I don't think they show.....

anyway, human beings are remarkably resilient.
rolling.gif
View attachment 19217 View attachment 19218

Oooh Er!

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Unfortunately no. Kicking is not to create distance if you create distance your attacker will just close again and you will no longer have any element of surprise. If you have to engage you have to tie up the weapon arm. The kick is to give you entry. If you can get away you get away. This is for when getting away is not an option.

Not that I'm all that keen on what's shown here but it gives the idea.

What works better in knife sparring. Creating distance or closing?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
For myself when the rubber hit the road in the really real world I didn't do any of the fancy stuff I've been taught to handle the stabber. I used a barricade approach by holding a large object between me and them and used it like a shield till I could bash the blade out of their hand. Came away without a scratch (miracle).

It would be higher percentage sparring like that as well in my opinion.

But we train to get in close and catch knives.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I have seen some people loose function in their arms from knife attacks and the recovery was months long.

we have had one like that recently that is going to court soon. When it is over I will let you know how it pans out.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What works better in knife sparring. Creating distance or closing?
I'm not sure what you are meaning by 'knife sparring'. It really covers the situations of knife fighting, where both have knives, and empty hand self defence where only one has a knife. Knife fighting is totally different to empty hand against a knife, so my answer is for SD. I'll leave comment on knife fighting for those with more knowledge.

For self defence, obviously creating distance and getting away is the best option. However, if that is not possible then closing as soon as practical would be best. Getting in and controlling is the better option than dancing around avoiding, because eventually he will get you, even if it is cut by cut. Of course you are not really the decision maker here. The guy with the knife is normally going to be the one making the first move.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you are meaning by 'knife sparring'. It really covers the situations of knife fighting, where both have knives, and empty hand self defence where only one has a knife. Knife fighting is totally different to empty hand against a knife, so my answer is for SD. I'll leave comment on knife fighting for those with more knowledge.

For self defence, obviously creating distance and getting away is the best option. However, if that is not possible then closing as soon as practical would be best. Getting in and controlling is the better option than dancing around avoiding, because eventually he will get you, even if it is cut by cut. Of course you are not really the decision maker here. The guy with the knife is normally going to be the one making the first move.

However if?

Obviously the bulk of your training will be the high percentage technique of getting away?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have seen some people loose function in their arms from knife attacks and the recovery was months long.

we have had one like that recently that is going to court soon. When it is over I will let you know how it pans out.

So? Nobody ever said that severe injuries don't occur. What was said is that they're far less common than people like to think.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So? Nobody ever said that severe injuries don't occur. What was said is that they're far less common than people like to think.

And what I am suggesting is serious injury is more common than you are making out.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
And what I am suggesting is serious injury is more common than you are making out.

Based on what? An anecdotal story of a single event?
I'm sure that's a MUCH better way to judge than the literally thousands of knife wounds I've seen in the last 30+ years.
Where's that ROFL gif?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Based on what? An anecdotal story of a single event?
I'm sure that's a MUCH better way to judge than the literally thousands of knife wounds I've seen in the last 30+ years.
Where's that ROFL gif?

based on the sharps attacks I have seen over 20 years. Which while hasn't been thousands there has been a few.

Both of our evidence is anecdotal.

Latest Discussions