How have Movies/TV effected Martial arts.

OP
R

Ronin

Have been a martial artist and a part time actor I can tell you there is several factors that come into play on this subject. First martial artists on screen do the scene over and over again, sometimes a scene 5 minutes takes a month to film. The camera angles are also carefully crafted to put the star in the best light. Often stars go on a quick diet to look sharp. Which adds to the film "coolness" After the fight scene the are ofen covered up and during the shots their bodies arent shown their ripped quality fades. Remember Stallone in Rocky III he had a bodybuilders body at 3% fat. No heavyweight boxer in the world would reduce their bodies to that ripped condition. It simply wouldnt hold up to the constant pounding a boxer goes through. Most stars that are martial artists in real life perform feats that only can be done on film. They are employed and often have to do what the producer and director say regardless if the action or movement would be considered impractical. Jet Li, like Bruce Lee is a fine martial artist. Bruce even performed basic movements in his films due to the fact that advanced techniques would confuse the audience. As for the UFC they too are at what they do, however placed in a movie setting how many of us would pay to see a guy sit on top on another and pound him for five minutes until he submits. Each person provides us with entertainment lets enjoy them for what their worth.

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by Ronin
They are employed and often have to do what the producer and director say regardless if the action or movement would be considered impractical.

How often are they told to perform fights in such a way that is
outside their style's foundation? E.g. a TKD guy being told to
perform Kung Fu?

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
WOW this thread has brought out the best people!

Bruce lee against tito no ring no rules? my money would be on bruce lee. Once you leave the ring its all heart it depends who wants the victory more, of course first you must have skills but what kind doesnt matter everyone thinks thier style is the best and i think they should but is it really. I like to be in close maybe my oponent like the distance, If I cant get in on them then I am forced to fight their fight wich gives them the advantage, so who knows what would really happen outside the ring!

As far as the movies I can see your points and agree that movies have done good and harm to the M.A.'s.

OP
M

Master of Blades

Originally posted by DAC..florida

As far as the movies I can see your points and agree that movies have done good and harm to the M.A.'s.

As with everything.......:asian:

Happy birthday DAC..florida by the by :rofl:

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thank you!!!.....I am impressed that you noticed. One more year older by age but i feel two younger.

OP
M

Master of Blades

Originally posted by DAC..florida
Thank you!!!.....I am impressed that you noticed. One more year older by age but i feel two younger.

LOL I make a habit of sending members pm's saying Happy Birthday, but today I figured seeing as I was replying to your post might as well add it in :D