Who do YOU look up to?

Nyrotic

Green Belt
Reaction score
Has there ever been anyone out there that really inspired you? For me, people like Jet Li and Bruce Lee sit fairly high on my list (I watch alot of movies), but honestly there's no one whom I can aspire to be %100 (Jet's a chain smoker and Bruce was later discovered to be a pothead). Now there's no one on MY #1 spot, but what about everyone one else here? Anyone that truly encourages you just to do what you do?

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Within martial arts or just in general?

BudoTiger

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
just in general probably my dad (i know sounds hokey), but i learned alot from him even though i didn't realize it at the time. even now at 32 i still call him for advice or if i just need someone to talk to.

martial arts related chuck norris. hes the reason i started in MA and keep going. i have read both of his autobiographies and look up to him for everything he has over come in his life to get where he is physically, mentally, spiritually, and personally.

also anyone who has achieved what my ultimate goal is and that is to receive my black belt and eventually have my own school and give back what i have gotten out of MA

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
Lance Armstrong, John Blais RIP, Chris McCormack, Mark Allen, Greg Welch.

There are no martial artists I really look up to as my experience with my last long term instructor has made me somewhat cynical of the whole student/instructor relationship
Cheers
Sam:asian:

Whitebelt

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Has anybody here heard of Sifu Queck Heng Choon? He is the Grand Master of the system I study. I have heared lots about him from my instructors and it seems to me that he is quite a ledgend.
For those of you who have not heared of him I have copied out a section of Nam Pai Chuan's history beneath.

Cho si seh koh san was renowned in the style known as fatt gar kune (buddhist fist) and brought the shaolin arts from mainland china setting up schools throughout southeast asia. sifu quek hen choon was one of his students and studied with him until his death in 1960, aged 74.

Sifu quek consequently moved to malaysia and set up schools in penang and kuala lumpur. even today, he is known as the iron palm for his abilities to shatter traditional chinese marble tables with a single strike, despite being in his late seventies. it is in his introduction to malaysia where he met and taught sifu lai khee choong, our sifu of shaolin nam pai chuan.

from 1968, the then student sifu lai studied and trained intensely under sifu quek in shaolin kung fu, with sessions lasting from 4 hours to all day on sundays. he undertook the task of composing the first syllabus and grading system allowing for new regulatory standards.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Almost all of my old sensei and sahbum. They've been a supportive group, and in some cases, even been like parental figures at times, when it was needed the most. Some of them have become some of my best friends that anyone could ever ask to have.

While some of them were hardass characters at times, they all knew when it was the right time to be strict, and when it was the right time to remove the shell.

They've been patient folks, willing to put aside initial feelings, so that they could see how things would turn out in the long term. That's not very easy to do, considering how there are always going to be incidents that can test one's steel.

Now that I'm in their shoes, I find that their lessons on dealing with people, and not just on the dojo floor, but also off the floor, are quite invaluable.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I aspire to be me, myself, and I. How far can I really get by following somone elses map? But, there are people who Isee as my heros. My Mom being on top of the list (she raised me and my sis without going nuts by herself). My Sensei is also pretty high on the list. Why is a longer story, and I'm not sure how much he would mind if Idisplayed it all over the web. Tat aside, he is great Martial Artist and person.
Tere are other people who are high on the list. O'Sensei Ngo Dong (founder of Cuong Nhu) being REALLY high on that list. Aong folks like Lance Armstrong, Masahiko Kimura, Mas Oyama, any and all Soldiers, LEOs, or Fire Fighters.
Martial Arts shows/some movies (like that Martial Arts show on Fit TV and Human Weapon on Histroy Channel) inspire me to train harder, faster, and better. But, I suppose that's a side topic.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My teacher's firm at times but their firmness is wrapped in compassion and good intent.
Personally it is not so much who I look up to but who looks up to me
and how I can make sure not to let them down.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My sahbum, his sahbum... and most especially my students.

Jutt-

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Martial Art Wise.

No order preferance here ..

My Thai Boxing Instructor - as well as the obvious teacher respect , the training techniques used definitely inspire me to train harder.

The owner of the centre I train at , for showing that dedication and hard work can help you achieve your goals.

Also from tonight my new Boxing instructor , for showing alot of passion in training. I.e when something went well , a ( maybe over exagerated ) appraisal was given. On the other hand however , due to my fitness levels not being that high at the minute , he bellowed out motivation terms in an army style method.

All good in my opinion.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In general or in Martial Arts it would be my father, to me he was what a person should always be honest and forthcoming and always stand up for what you believe.

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Has there ever been anyone out there that really inspired you? For me, people like Jet Li and Bruce Lee sit fairly high on my list (I watch alot of movies), but honestly there's no one whom I can aspire to be %100 (Jet's a chain smoker and Bruce was later discovered to be a pothead). Now there's no one on MY #1 spot, but what about everyone one else here? Anyone that truly encourages you just to do what you do?

For Kenpo, I look up to Larry Tatum. For sparring, I like Bill Wallace and Frank Trejo.

As a person, there is only one that I try to look up to: Jesus Christ.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
First: My sixth grade teacher, Mr. Richardson (RIP), who was everything I was not, and yet who had unlimited compassion for the nerdy, out of step, orange-haired scrawny little geek, cowlicks sticking up and out like I was the prototype for the heavy metal spiked hair look decades later, socially inept and usually tripping over my own feet, who liked writing poetry as much as playing sports (badly). Now that is a Warrior-Shepherd. :asian:

Second: my friend and mentor Tue (real name unpronounceable by us non-Samoans), 5' 6" tall, 300 pounds of rock-crushing ferocity, who gently took the scared, 6' gangly teen under his wing, and taught me about life. An officer once said to Tue, I could have you court-martialed for (something that was the right thing to do for someone in need). Tue responded, I could kill you. Now that is the Warrior spirit. :asian:

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
My Grandpa and My Wife. They have done the most for me in My life and will always.

bookworm_cn317

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

Generally: my mom(single parent who had to be both mom AND dad)
Martial Arts-wise: my instructor (who believes in me and knows I have potential- I just haven't figured that out yet! :uhyeah:)

Latest Discussions