How Far Do You Travel to See Your Teacher?

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just a fun question to pass the time. I have to get on an airplane to see both of my sensei, since they each live on the opposite sides of the country and I live in the middle. :(

Also, what is the farthest you would travel? 5 miles, 50 miles, more?

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
+/- 3000 miles (NY), so needless to say, visits are few and far between.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a fun question to pass the time. I have to get on an airplane to see both of my sensei, since they each live on the opposite sides of the country and I live in the middle. :(

The furthest was about a 30min drive. I ended up leaving that school as I wasn't getting there nearly as much as I would've liked. That was over a year ago.

Currently, my Arnis inst and Kyokushin dojo are about 5min away.

How far would I travel? I'd really prefer if it was no more than a 30min drive, an hour tops. I say that, because IMO, if it were any further, it'd be easier to say, "Gee, do I really feel like driving this far today?"

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have to go from Texas to either California or Japan.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As an underbelt student, my dojo and sensei are close by - about 10 miles, which unfortunately takes about 30 - 40 minutes (no straight shot via local roads).

My sensei's sensei is in Tennessee, about 850 miles from him.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My original Kwanjangnim lives in the UK, so that's something like 700km. I've visited a couple of times, and we use Skype when I have questions.

OKenpo942

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have to travel nearly 1500 miles to see my instructor. This doesn't happen very often. Otherwise we keep in touch via phone or email.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score

My instructors live about 400 miles from me. I travel to see them several times a year. Also, whenever they attend a seminar with GM Choi, Jung Hwa or another very senior ITF master I try to attend the same seminar, if possible.

No limit. Distance wouldn't matter as long as I got to train with them.

Pax,

Chris

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
About 1 minute to my senseis house and about 5 minutes to the dojo.
I'm kinda spoiled!

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Before I moved four years ago, 40 miles to my Kenpo instructor, 200 to my Kali instructor. Now it is 620 to my Kali instructor, 750 to my Kenpo instructor. Needless to say, I don't get to see them as often as I would like.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can get there on foot in 5 minutes.
Less if I jog.
Less if I run.

Its convenient, because I really wouldnt have time to cut off working so that I could drive out to somewere distant, let alone take a flight.
If work werent a factor but, and it was necessary, I wouldnt discard the option.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I drove over an hour (70+ miles) one way to see my insturctor at least once a week.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's nice now, twenty minutes with decent traffic. In the nineties, I flew from Hawaii to L.A. for a week every month.

ks - learning to fly

Senior Master
Reaction score
I - thankfully - live about 10 minutes away from my TKD school but there is no limit on the distance that I would travel to train with my instructor. HE'S THE BEST. :ultracool

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's nice now, twenty minutes with decent traffic. In the nineties, I flew from Hawaii to L.A. for a week every month.

You lived in Hawaii? Who is your teacher in LA? And is your first name ron?

Last edited:

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I trained with local instructors only, my commute time was five to 35 minutes. Expanding away from that, I moved 2500 miles to train with a couple of teachers, and regularly travel up to 5000 miles to continue my training. I also get other, higher level training, often times via telephone, so distance doesn't matter.

Latest Discussions