How does it move...

crash2806

White Belt
Reaction score
My statement refers to fighters representing the Tracy system in points competitions. Al Tracy developed the checkered gi and it is used to recognize a Tracy fighter. There are other types of competition where it wouldn't be seen, such as shoot fighting. Al Tracy works closely with Bart Vale (7th degree black) to promote shoot fighting in America. By the way, the Gathering of Eagles will be held in Chicago on June 22-23. Go to tracyskarate.com for more details. Michael, talk to Mr. Sumner, he'll be giving a seminar there.

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My statement refers to fighters representing the Tracy system in points competitions. Al Tracy developed the checkered gi and it is used to recognize a Tracy fighter. There are other types of competition where it wouldn't be seen, such as shoot fighting. Al Tracy works closely with Bart Vale (7th degree black) to promote shoot fighting in America. By the way, the Gathering of Eagles will be held in Chicago on June 22-23. Go to tracyskarate.com for more details. Michael, talk to Mr. Sumner, he'll be giving a seminar there.

Joe Lewis developed the checkered gi for the Tracy's National Fighting Team. Not all Tracy fighters were on the team. There have never been enough checkered gis for everyone who fights under our banner to wear one. They were not even available when I was fighting.

Bart Vale is an 8th. And Dr. Sumner will indeed be teaching at the GoE III.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I think that if you went to any point karate tournament and found a Tracy kenpo person competing, there is a high chance that he would not be wearing a checkered gi. I doubt there is a mandate that all Tracy competitors wear a checkered gi.

I have recently become a student of Mr. Sumner. I will see him again Tuesday night.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
As for competition, if you don't see a black and white checkered gi there is no competition. Tracy fighters only compete in the checkered gi.

So you are saying that the Tracy's still field the best fighters, I assume that is what your statement of "if you don't see a black and white checkered gi there is no competition" means. So how many nationally ranked Tracy fighters are there right now, say in the NASKA or NBL leagues? THey should be pretty easy to spot running around in those gis. Just curious.

Lamont

Latest Discussions