Piper System - South African Knife Combatives

Trent

Green Belt
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhpAsE8z6JI&NR

I've heard of this system for quite some time now, and that it had a great deal of Malaysian influence. I surely see the silat movements, but on a conceptually more simple level that what I'm used to seeing. It appears that it has been stripped down for use as quickly as possible while maintaining the core movement principles. Very interesting and good stuff.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've heard of this system for quite some time now, and that it had a great deal of Malaysian influence. I surely see the silat movements, but on a conceptually more simple level that what I'm used to seeing. It appears that it has been stripped down for use as quickly as possible while maintaining the core movement principles. Very interesting and good stuff.

It's definitely not Silat. It's good movement, but it's its own thing. Interestingly enough, a few really good Silat players have been playing with it recently. One of them, Mushtaq, picked up a fair amount when he was living in East Africa. They're all impressed as hell and say it's not like anything they've seen from SE Asia. As they put it, Silat is a martial art. Piper is how criminals kill people as quickly as possible.

OP
T

Trent

Green Belt
Reaction score
I see that I phrased my statements improperly. I don't think it is silat either, but I do recognize some movements from some Malaysian silat systems I've seen.

I've also seen more direct knife work from criminals for killing people than Piper, although not as a system or any particular method.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's been discussed on Eskrima Digest before. Looks to be big on distracting and controlling with the empty hand. From here:

Piper is chaos, with a blade. Unpredictable constant motion means your enemy has trouble pinning you down. Being difficult to pin you down visually, it becomes extremely difficult to do so physically.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would have to see more before I think I could make a judgement on it's effectiveness. I do not like the changing of the hands with the knife to much. (though it could work well against someone unarmed) I want more knowledge before I give it a full thumbs up. (though it looks interesting)

Hopefully I will get to see more in the future.
icon6.gif

Thanks for the clip.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Changing the knife isn't supposed to work, but somehow they make it work. The last time I trained with Mushtaq the knife was everywhere at once including in his other hand.

OP
T

Trent

Green Belt
Reaction score
My description of "good" was provided as to the release of the material. Like Brian, I haven't seen enough of it to make an proper judgment as to it's effectivness. It appears that Todd has seen more of it than any of us.

From the presentation, it does look to be almost "dueling" in nature which is odd for a criminal type system. Usually, the target feels the knife before it is seen.

jdp29

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I agree w/ Brian. Too much hand changing and another thing I saw is the arms are always crossed which put them in danger of a trap. I one was to charge in at the right time they could be in trouble.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I tried to trap Mushtaq when he did that. And my trapping is pretty good. I ended up with both arms fileted and lost a kidney. The duelling part is for practice. The guys in SA spend a lot of time working with each other live knives and fast speed. In reality the idea is to stick the person many times before he knows you're after him. If that doesn't work, it's knife against knife or knife (sucks flatus out of sitllborn warthogs) against empty hands (doesn't suck for the guy with the knife).

OP
T

Trent

Green Belt
Reaction score
I tried to trap Mushtaq when he did that. And my trapping is pretty good. I ended up with both arms fileted and lost a kidney. The duelling part is for practice. The guys in SA spend a lot of time working with each other live knives and fast speed. In reality the idea is to stick the person many times before he knows you're after him. If that doesn't work, it's knife against knife or knife (sucks flatus out of sitllborn warthogs) against empty hands (doesn't suck for the guy with the knife).

Nice, thanks for the heads-up. It seems to make more sense with your input. And a question which I'm sure you've considered: could it be Mushtaq's skills that make the system much better than the average Piper?

Bill Bednarick

Green Belt
Reaction score
Brian,

Come to the gathering of tribes...

That is one of the best places in the states to see it.

Hell it may be the ONLY place in the states to see it.

That is if Mushtaq pulls it out of his bag -o- tricks.
I have a feeling you and he would hit it off.

You coming this spring Todd? I've made some nice saps for show and tell.;)

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hard to say. He's certainly got better Silat than I do. But he was blown away when he first saw it in Tanzania and played with a couple guys who had, hmm, plenty of on the job training in the tradition. A couple of the things he found:

1. None of the empty hand defenses he knows and has used many times IRL worked.
  2. Neither did most of the knife-on-knife stuff he's been doing going back half a century.
  3. A lot of the gross movements were familiar. Their sense of timing and rhythm made it vastly different from the FMA and IMA he's conversant in.
  4. Most White guys simply don't know how to move. They especially don't or can't move their hips. This makes things a lot less effective.
  5. You can't think defense against these guys. If you do you will die. Good attacking is the key to survival. So is appreciation of distance.
Some of Mushtaq's thoughts on Piper are on his blog Traceless Warrior

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Brian,

Come to the gathering of tribes...

That is one of the best places in the states to see it.

Hell it may be the ONLY place in the states to see it.

That is if Mushtaq pulls it out of his bag -o- tricks.
I have a feeling you and he would hit it off.

You coming this spring Todd? I've made some nice saps for show and tell.;)

Hey Bill I will see if I can make it!
icon14.gif

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have seen similar hand movement with a knife by some chinese and filipino artists less the body movement.
icon6.gif

Once again though you need to see anything in person to get a deeper appreciation. (BTW, I have little doubt that the piper system works)

I will say this though. If this is how the gangs, criminals are moving in South Africa it certainly is different from what I have witnessed first hand and been shown here (by some criminals) in the States. Yet different is always good so I will look forward to meeting a piper exponenet in the future. Hopefully at a gathering of the tribes.
icon14.gif

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I also participated in the Piper Knife training with Mushdaq and i was impressed with some of the "treachery" used in their striking. Like Brian said- you have to see it to appreciate it and when you feel it- it is even better.
Buzz

bonviet

White Belt
Reaction score
yikes! i wrote a very long post about this and visited their website and watched the youtube and i closed the bloody screen on accident so i'll type a short concise version of what i had tried to write earlier, i'm brand new to this forum and it looks great.

The meat.
I'm not very sure how well this system is going to work, i've been on the recieving end of three VERY committed knife assaults escaping hospitilization in only one of those incidents, I've been presented with the knife a few times and gave up the goods.
The only reason i survived the knife attacks was a Rabid immediate counter attack or a Preemptive. he did not answer me, mirrored my side step and his hands went out of view so i leapt in a kneed him full all the power i could muster right in the groin then manipulated his head directly backwards and into the ground.And out clanked two knives,I stomped him repeatedly with the heel of my shoe went to get the police sure i had killed him and when we returned he had gone.
I was stabbed in a multiple assaliant attack. I seized the arm in the secondary pull back of the classic swearing machine pattern i've seen used on a handful of people here when i lived in a transient slum of vietnam to save some money, that was years ago and i was an idiot for making that choice to live there,it was a classic overarm wrap and i proceeded to viciously attack his eyes bite at him and grabbed his testicles and yanked like i was trying to start a push mover, that worked, but i was hit in the head with a Brick and fractured my skull I was so adrenalized i simply pushed off the second man with the brick by stiff arming him in the face or shoulder of the arm holding the brick as he came in he hit me repeatedly but the unbalancing and some of the stiff arms made contact with his throat and eyes and his friend was doing quite badly at the time he lost the brick and stood there for a moment.

I had a knife attacker stab himself while giving me some pretty bad cuts on my hands but the stop of his forward momentum while he was skipping in and rolling the knife over and over I simply pushed at him out of reflex only half my push colided with him and we bounced off one another him swinging(dancing with the knife)and the the blade so close to his body he manged to stab himself badly in his own face directly beneath the eye i don't know if he lost the eye or not but he yelped and the knife clanged to the ground in that little concrete maze called cho lon and i was gone,but blood was already everywhere

And in my own personal defense i've never been able to open a folder once. even though i was armed EVERY INCIDENT i just shared, and if i hadn't focused entirely on getting the knifer or escaping i would have been stabbed repeatedly, sudden vicious counterattack or preemption is it. and luck.

I even disarmed myself in a wild attempt to cut multiple attackers luckily my initial cuts had some effect as he was starting to ball up from the hits si i palm heeled him in the ear and a classic punt to the face he was almost on his hand and kness by then and i ran off. some vietnames guy now has a very expensive knife.his friend didn't follow

So basically after all i've seen. push daggers or very simple and stable small non-folding knives
(i dont know about naming names but if i can feel comfortable snatching a knife out regardless of whether the edge is pointing up or down in forward or reverse grip and i can't jam it into a canvas heavy bag 4-5 times and not cut myself i won't carry it, the small knife i carry fits that criteria and most knife fighters would laugh hysterically if they knew what it was but it's deep enough to get into all the places it should and is idiot proof(i've used it LOL!) the sewing machine approach are what i've seen and what i use now in my training. and what i train against, Squaring off doesn;t happen in assasination attempts and personal survival situations.Those guys get talked down or Pepper-sprayed with the good stuff like Guardian Powerful jet of foam or liquid, it works Great.
Dueling and surviving a knife attack are very different, I can't stand in front of something like the piper system no way. but again you can't stand in front of almost anyone with a knife, How maybe people are killed by knives VERY Dead who never got any training at all? let's face it Antonio banderas character in zorro was right. "the pointy end goes into the other man" it really is almost that simple unfortunately, or get the old petticost pamphlet and workshop that a little bit, it's humbling and you'll Die alot But you'll also start to win on occasion.
My humble opinion, and what the hell i travel to south africa every year or 18 months I'm going to look these guys up and get a demo and some training it's odd for sure
Bon

Latest Discussions