How do you tie your belt?

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Basically I'm lazy... I use the Okinawan method with cross in the back... Used to do the double wrap (originally a Tae Kwan Do thang)... But it takes too much time, doesn't really add anything to the experience, and mainly teaches you how to ... tie a belt.

OP
K

Kenpomachine

Originally posted by Sigung86
Basically I'm lazy... I use the Okinawan method with cross in the back... Used to do the double wrap (originally a Tae Kwan Do thang)... But it takes too much time, doesn't really add anything to the experience, and mainly teaches you how to ... tie a belt.

And the cross in the back doesn't mean either the belt is not neat in the end. You can do the cross and have one part of the belt going under the other side.

OP
P

progressivetactics

I start on the right, as most others that posted have. I was taught from my Jujitsu Soke, that Beginners were taught the same way most karateka does, with the middle at the navel, and wrap around (with the crossover in the back). Once they achieved 1st dan, they showed them the wrap around method, for a more cleaner appearance. Who knows if it is true, but Since I was a hard fist dan when I started with him, he converted me when I started in Jujitsu.

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Without a thought.. :)

with a thought.. I start on the right hip.. wrap twice.. Tucking tail in left hand push it from top down under both wraps, pulling from bottom the tucked end..on the right side... then right over left knot.. females in our school wear the knot on the right.. the guys... on the left

If you want to know some really wild ways to tie a belt.. ask Mr. C.
*he tied mine at one of the seminars.. it was really cool*