how do you get more power in head kicks?

TraditionalTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
1. Don't ask Kenpo guys for high kicking advice, since they don't tend to focus on it. Take that with a grain of salt, but it is basically true.

2. Learn to relax. One of the biggest problems people who try to high kick have is tightening up. Practice the high kicks slowly until your body gets used to the actions.

3. Work on flexibility. If you are going to kick head level, you must have adequate lower body flexibility.

4. Practice turning your body over during the kick so that you finish with your armpit and hipbone facing the target. You will need to develop core strength and stopping power for this to happen.

5. make sure your leg is chambered high enough. Your chamber must be high enough relative to the target. Middle target-middle chamber. High target-high chamber.

And make no mistake-high kicks done effectively with speed and focus are extremely dangerous to the person being kicked. One of the reasons we don't allow high kicks at our tournament.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
You don't allow high kicks because they are too dangerous yet you say you are Taekwondo. Sorry, I just don't get this. If you were Karate or Kung Fu maybe, but Taekwondo???????????????????

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
1. Don't ask Kenpo guys for high kicking advice, since they don't tend to focus on it. Take that with a grain of salt, but it is basically true.

Hello, Maybe to the guys you know...but NOT true for us...those who can kick to head is train to be more effective here, (Kicking to the head when done right and at the right time...will take you down or out). Never limit you technique's, if you can use them. (we are a Kempo system). We also know...it is a dangerous technique to use too! But like all the technique we train with ,can be unwise if choosen the wrong time! Duck when you should move? ...block when you should hit? ...hit when you should block/run.....DO NOT unestimate and generalize Kempo guys....we do get our share of losses and wins.....just my thoughts here....Aloha

2. Learn to relax. One of the biggest problems people who try to high kick have is tightening up. Practice the high kicks slowly until your body gets used to the actions.

3. Work on flexibility. If you are going to kick head level, you must have adequate lower body flexibility.

4. Practice turning your body over during the kick so that you finish with your armpit and hipbone facing the target. You will need to develop core strength and stopping power for this to happen.

5. make sure your leg is chambered high enough. Your chamber must be high enough relative to the target. Middle target-middle chamber. High target-high chamber.

And make no mistake-high kicks done effectively with speed and focus are extremely dangerous to the person being kicked. One of the reasons we don't allow high kicks at our tournament.

HIPS is the most important part of most techniques thrown...study this well!

TraditionalTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
We don't allow high kicks in our tournaments precisely because they can be dangerous. In class we practice them all the time.
The last thing we want is for some guy to get caught witb a high roundhouse during a match and get knocked out. I've seen it happen. Explain that to his parents or wife.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
We don't allow high kicks in our tournaments precisely because they can be dangerous. In class we practice them all the time.
The last thing we want is for some guy to get caught witb a high roundhouse during a match and get knocked out. I've seen it happen. Explain that to his parents or wife.

We allow high kicks with control.

From what I've seen over the last 15 years or so, it isn't the head kicks that people get hurt with during tournaments.

The No. 1 technique for causing injury (and TKOs) has been the punch to the face.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Why not practice running up to a guy and punching him in the toe? I can offer some reasons...it causes you to compromise your mechanics; it's strategically a bad idea as it leaves you vulnerable to being crashed into and overtaken, just for starts.

Kicking to the head creates the same problems. Use upper-body weapons for upper body targets, and lower body weapons for lower body targets. You get to keep your health longer that way.

D.

Tell that to mirko cro cop ( :

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
chris_มวยไทย;717057 said:
does anybody have any tips or advice?

thanks in advance,

chris

Stretch, stretch and stretch and throw your hips in!

Its come with practice though bro...i know everyone says this but it's so true...talk to you kru for advise though he should be able to tell you if your doing anything technically wrong.

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Why not practice running up to a guy and punching him in the toe? I can offer some reasons...it causes you to compromise your mechanics; it's strategically a bad idea as it leaves you vulnerable to being crashed into and overtaken, just for starts.

Kicking to the head creates the same problems. Use upper-body weapons for upper body targets, and lower body weapons for lower body targets. You get to keep your health longer that way.

D.

Dang. I was just going to suggest you flip the dude upside down and kick the snot out of him. :)

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
chris_มวยไทย;717057 said:
does anybody have any tips or advice?

1. Learn
2. Practice
3. Repeat

:asian:

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree with Last Fearner, and add plenty of stretching to limber your legs up.

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

D.

I believe the topic of the thread was "how do you get more power in head kicks," not "are head kicks a practical technique?" Otherwise, your comments here would have been appropriate. However, to change the subject is better done in a separate thread on the topic of your choice (IE: "To kick the head or not").

In 32 years of studying Taekwondo, I have never had a problem with learning when, and how to kick someone in the head effectively. I have always noticed that those who downplay the effectiveness simply don't know how to do it. However, for the sake of staying on topic, I will start a new thread which addresses this issue. Others may join in if they wish.

http://martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=725470#post725470

CM D.J. Eisenhart

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
1. Learn
2. Practice
3. Repeat

:asian:

I would add: "on the heavy bag."

Work on sinking your body weight into the kick: ROCK that bag. Once you can do that, you will worry more about not hurting your opponent than you will worry about having enough power.

Latest Discussions