The Round Kick: Straight leg/ or bent knee more powerful?

OP
T

ThuNder_FoOt

Its sounds relatively correct to me. However, with the Thai kick, while it is powerful I could relate it which the analogy you used, more easily than the chambered counter-part. When you execute a proper Thai kick, the hip operates like the handle of a whip or chain as you described. The shin would be the ball of the whip or chain... kinda acting like an anchor of sorts. I believe a chain would be more appropriate for the chambered kick though and a whip for the thai kick. With the chain being broken down into individual links, each pivot point could represent a link of a longer chain. But i supposed the analogy can work for both kicks... since they're soooo similar. Its kind of like separating naval oranges from mandarin oranges.... lol.

Damian brings up a good point of the thai kick feeling heavier than the chambered kick. Personally, I think the reason for the Thai Kick feeling heavier is due to the thought process of kick through the target... and using the impact as a rebound to recoil the kick. Whereas the chambered kick "usually" is only taught in terms of kicking into the target instead of through the target. Sometimes I catch myself doing this as well on occasion. Its just a matter of commitment to the kick (in my eyes). Once the kicker knows that the kick will be re-chambered back to the original position, maybe subconsiously the kicker withholds a little bit of power to use for recoil. Just a theory of mine, but I think its pretty valid... when I am consciously aware this it seems as though I can fix it on a small scale. Another possibility may be conscious lack of movement. The kicker may want to keep his/her leg in position to fire another continous kick. For example, repeat round kicks from flamingo stance, or continous side kicks. With that, the kicker would purposely NOT kick through the target.

I was reading through my "Tao of JKD" book for millionth time, and Bruce references this as well. Now, I understand that Bruce is not the "know it all" of martial arts for those whom may try to bash this statement, but I highly respect his teachings and learnings, and value it as a great learning tool. Tell me what you guys think.

:asian: :asian:

THuNdeR_FoOT
.::FOOT_CLAN::.