How do deal with a hook punch? Which version here is best?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am really confused that not even among wing chun teachers there is a CLEAR consenus on how to block a certain punch!
When your opponent throws a hook punch, his hand has to move away from his center, move to the side, and come back to the center. Before his fist can land on your head, his "center" is not protected.

If you can extend you

- left arm between his right arm and his head.
- right arm between his left arm and his head.

You have just "separated" his arms away from his body and you take his center. You can kiss him, bite on his neck, and do whatever that you like to do after that.

rhino_guard.jpg

My answer to your question is the zombie arms.

zombie_arms.jpg

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, so you can't give me a simple answer how you would block a hook punch like shown in these videos. I find this weird.

But can you at least tell me if the defenses of the wing chun guys in the first 2 videos suck? Or is this also not possible unless you stand
there right besides him and can measure exact distances and calculate everything with a computer?
So, now you're going to be snippy with people because you don't like their answers? Many of the folks answering your questions have been training longer than you've been alive. If you can't deliver a respectful attitude, maybe you're better off continuing to whine and never joining a martial arts school. That way you won't get thrown out for lack of respect.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are more interested in playing the man. It is about being able to separate your butt hurt from the argument.

Conversation should be more like sparring. I where you test ideas rather than shut the guy by refusing to engage fairly.

Hooks can come pretty quick so unless you have a lot of tools in the tool belt you are best served getting your hand up like you are answering the phone.

Then if you want to be really slick. Return a shot with that same hand you blocked with and nail him before he can cover his own head

But with all techniques the rules change a bit depending on the person and what they can physically do in that situation.

If you were maywhether you would have more options.
We've engaged him. Have you read how many excuses he's given for not following advice? We're not playing the man - we're addressing his attitude. He needs that, not coddling and being told he's doing fine by ignoring advice he asked for and getting snippy with those who give him honest answers.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Conversation should be more like sparring. I where you test ideas rather than shut the guy by refusing to engage fairly.
This remind me a thread in another forum.

A: What should I do for ...?
B: You should ask your teacher.
C: You should ask your coach.
D: You should ask your sensei.
E: You should take a MA class.
F: Don't expect to get any valuable information online.
G: ...

We should be more interested in thread discussion than to discuss the OP personal information.

"How to block a hook punch by using the WC principle" is what we should discuss. Whether the OP is a 9th degree black belt master, or a 3 months white belt beginner, his personal background should not affect our discussion.

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
non-wc method is actually better...
When your opponent throws a right hook punch at your head, you can throw a right hook punch at him at the same time. Your right arm will hit and lock on your opponent's right arm.

In MA, many techniques can be used to counter itself. Hook punch (or hay-maker) is one of them. Symmetry is what you are looking for.

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
This remind me a thread in another forum.

A: What should I do for ...?
B: You should ask your teacher.
C: You should ask your coach.
D: You should ask your sensei.
E: You should take a MA class.
F: Don't expect to get any valuable information online.
G: ...

We should be more interested in thread discussion than to discuss the OP personal information.

"How to block a hook punch by using the WC principle" is what we should discuss. Whether the OP is a 9th degree black belt master, or a 3 months white belt beginner, his personal background should not affect our discussion.
Though I understand where you are coming from, I personally, cannot stand to discuss counter technique because of the "what if...." factor. So many directions something can be taken & so many variables that can be factored in. The discussion inevitablely degrades and leads one down the "what if..." rabbit hole as everyone argues about how their approach is superior in a hypothetical situation.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We've engaged him. Have you read how many excuses he's given for not following advice? We're not playing the man - we're addressing his attitude. He needs that, not coddling and being told he's doing fine by ignoring advice he asked for and getting snippy with those who give him honest answers.

Does his attitude to training have any bearing on this thread?

How does it effect the blocking of a hook punch?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Though I understand where you are coming from, I personally, cannot stand to discuss counter technique because of the "what if...." factor. So many directions something can be taken & so many variables that can be factored in. The discussion inevitablely degrades and leads one down the "what if..." rabbit hole as everyone argues about how their approach is superior in a hypothetical situation.
If we don't discuss how to apply a certain MA technique, what else can we discuss?

IMO, the "what if" is the most interested part of discussion. It's like a tree trunk start to branch out. How many "what if" can decide how big that tree can grow.

If you are a computer programmer, you want to make sure that you have considered all possibilities. The more "what if" you can come up, the more complete your software design will be.

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
If we don't discuss how to apply a certain MA technique, what else can we discuss?

IMO, the "what if" is the most interested part of discussion. It's like a tree trunk start to branch out. How many "what if" can decide how big that tree can grow.

If you are a computer programmer, you want to make sure that you have considered all possibilities. The more "what if" you can come up, the more complete your software design will be.
In my experience, when a person is focused on what if's, they lose focus on the here and now. To create a pensive mindset that constantly worries about the consequences of their actions significantly diminishes their ability to adequately respond in a stressful situation. It's OK to discuss the pros & cons of a technique when discussing it's structure, mechanics, applied force etc. but this all quickly changes when a myriad of hypothetical "what if's" are incorporated to its application. Discussions on simple core techniques that are proven to have a high effectiveness rate are good. Here, variations on the technique can be introduced, but to have this conversation, requires knowledge of the techniques & theory. When uninformed individuals do not have this knowledge, instead of intelligently diagnosing any fallacy they simply respond with "What if..." based upon preconceived ideas. When something is hypothetical to begin with, and there is no one accepted theory to substantiate any drawn conclusions, chaos ensues and everyone get dragged off to Wonderland :).

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
when a person is focused on what if's, they lose focus on the here and now.
May be "here and now" is not as interested as "what if". Here is an example that "what if" can guide a discussion.

A: Here is how to apply a "wrist lock" that you use "downward force" on your opponent's wrist joint.
B: What if I raise my elbow?
A: You can change that "downward force" into a "sideway horizontal force" and still apply pressure on his wrist joint.
B: What if I rotate my body?
A: You can change that "sideway horizontal force" into a "backward pulling force" and still apply pressure on his wrist joint.

Without "what if", only the "downward force" is discussed. With "what if", the "sideway horizontal force" and the "backward pulling force" are also discussed.

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
May be "here and now" is not as interested as "what if". Here is an example that "what if" can guide a discussion.

A: Here is how to apply a "wrist lock" that you use "downward force" on your opponent's wrist joint.
B: What if I raise my elbow?
A: You can change that "downward force" into a "sideway horizontal force" and still apply pressure on his wrist joint.
B: What if I rotate my body?
A: You can change that "sideway horizontal force" into a "backward pulling force" and still apply pressure on his wrist joint.

Without "what if", only the "downward force" is discussed. With "what if", the "sideway horizontal force" and the "backward pulling force" are also discussed.
That may be so, it may even be relevant, but there is probability. The probability of the individuals ability to understand and implement. What if he is weak, what if he has a bad leg, what if he is dull witted, what if the opponent punches with the other hand while you are trying to push down his elbow, what if he kicks you, what if he has friends that join in, what if he is double jointed, but what if this, what if that.....

Not a discussion I want to have, better to train in person and discover variables based on resistance and changes than speculate "What if's" solely through online chatting. This is especially true with individuals such as the OP who have no understanding of the dynamics, principles, theories, mechanics etc. involved within the movement.

Sometimes a consensus is formed on how a technique is applied, when this happens, so does fruitful discussion about it's applied variations. But generally when something starts off with "How would you..." I head in the opposite direction, simply because it leads to "but what if..." With that, I'll say goodnight.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I wish someone would hook punch you just to shut you up kid

Phobius

Black Belt
Reaction score
If this is really how wing chun guys tick then I'm really done with WC.

I thought WC was about keeping it simple but this isn't keeping it simple. Wong actually keeps it simple.

You should not do WC, seriously.

WC is about keeping the training simple. It does require a basic knowledge of long range fighting which you lack. As for keeping training simple you will not train it anyways so that is pointless as well in your case.

Just let go of WC as I doubt you have what it takes to grasp it. Chances are very high you would become like those YouTube videos you keep looking at and that is just a waste. YouTube already has enough of those silly movies of people thinking they know more than they do.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The proper way to block a hook punch is with your face.

I know what you're thinking.......that you just read a disrespectful, weak joke or a jerk answer. That's what you're thinking, but, you don't really know because you've never dealt with a hook punch other than on a keyboard or watching a video.

NEWSFLASH - nobody on this forum learned on a keyboard or on a video. We have absolutely no frame of reference to answer your question(s). I kind of wish we did, then we could help. But, alas, we can't.

Do you have a dog? Does the dog like you?

Latest Discussions