How do deal with a hook punch? Which version here is best?

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, I think that leaving your side open to a hook punch isn't very safe. I want to see what this guy would do in a real fight when he gets hit.

This is like saying I need no bullet proof vest I simply make sure I shoot him first. How silly is this?
Well no one here actually cares what you think since you know absolutely nothing about martial arts and you're to lazy to turn up to a class and make every excuse under the sun to not train

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
By the way boxing might be a bit of you. It is simple honest. Generally pretty cheap. No gradings or uniforms.

And you get out what you put in. So if you are crap at least you will know it.
Nah this guy thinks boxings boring this was his words "boxing doesn't interest me because it doesn't look good in videos and they don't even block just cover their face with their hands "

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm a what if person, so what?

I think asking questions and thinking is better than simply believing ah wing chun is the best my teacher says it has solutions for everything.

Seeing wing chuners being beaten up certainly does not make me feel more confident.

If anyone of you knows videos of real fights where wing chuners actually win and where you can clearly tell that they even use wing chun
instead of just throwing punches like a streefighter then please show it to me. I haven't come across such videos ever.

All the fancy Saus work in videos where the attacker just stands there and throws a punch. I would like to see it work in a realistic situation.

In a static situation you can as well simply kick the attacker in the balls and you've won. Does this mean all you have to know is how to kick
somebody in the balls and this way you win every fight? Of course not.

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

I think asking questions and thinking is better than simply believing ah wing chun is the best my teacher says it has solutions for everything.

Seeing wing chuners being beaten up certainly does not make me feel more confident.

If anyone of you knows videos of real fights where wing chuners actually win and where you can clearly tell that they even use wing chun
instead of just throwing punches like a streefighter then please show it to me. I haven't come across such videos ever.

All the fancy Saus work in videos where the attacker just stands there and throws a punch. I would like to see it work in a realistic situation.

In a static situation you can as well simply kick the attacker in the balls and you've won. Does this mean all you have to know is how to kick
Yes, a kick in the balls is a good counter to a hook, straight, uppercut etc. Now go practice kicking people in the balls, the best way to learn is by doing.

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score

No dipshit, this isn't how "just asking questions" works. You've been pulling this nonsense for two months straight now and you haven't even gone to one class, and yet you're attempting to give insight into something you know absolutely nothing about. You're not just asking questions, you're being an insufferable prick.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No dipshit, this isn't how "just asking questions" works. You've been pulling this nonsense for two months straight now and you haven't even gone to one class, and yet you're attempting to give insight into something you know absolutely nothing about. You're not just asking questions, you're being an insufferable prick.

@ Marnetmar: Now, now! There's no need to resort to using such crude language and putting into print what most of us are already thinking. Language like that only gets threads locked ....which actually might not be a bad idea in this case ....anyway, I don't want to see the mods come down on you. Remember, this is supposed to be a friendly forum.

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

I remember... I think it was WSL, though it may have been another teacher, who commented on how silly and fruitless "what if" discussions are as they apply to martial arts, and that he would rather respond "I don't know. Let's try it and see."

I think most martial artists will agree.

You can ask what if's all day long, and have every answer to every question "decided," be it right or wrong. But until you actually train, and experience it first hand, you won't know what is right or wrong, to say nothing of actually being able to execute it.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm a what if person,
The "what if" can help you (general YOU) to design a more complete training program. For example (by using my favor "side kick" training example again).

When you side kick at your opponent, your opponent can

1. step back and let you kick into the thin air,
2. block your kick with his leg,
3. block your kick with his arm and spin your body to your right,
4. block your kick with his arm and spin your body to your left.

This will force you to train 4 different re-counters against your opponent's 4 different counters.

With "what if" in mind, you can train:

- attack,
- counters,
- re-counters (counters to those counters),

Your training program will force you to understand MA in much deeper level.

Last edited:

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'll play along in this nonsensical thread. You ask what's the best way to deal with a hook punch. Very, very simple answer: don't be there, move out of the way.

How you address a hook punch or anything else for that matter all depends on the situation. You can move forward and deflect it with your arm, backward and deflect, duck, slip, etc. Sometimes you have enough space to move forward, sometimes you don't. Sometimes you've got enough room to go backward, sometimes you don't. Sometimes you can duck, other times you'll get kicked in the teeth.

I didn't watch the videos you linked to. Did anyone get hit? If not, they are all equally effective.

And even if there's one best way, if an opponent blocked my hook punch the same way every time, I'd use it to open him up for other stuff.

Go watch a MA class in person. Not on YouTube, DVD or anything other than live and in person.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
^^^^ Exactly my point. Youtube is no place for a noob like the OP to be looking for instruction.

That last video isn't really typical WC. Wong does his own thing. But I agree, his approach as shown is pragmatic. I personally do something similar ...because it works! ;)

FMA "cover", at least that's where I learned it. ;)

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You could:

A) yes, 'attack the centreline' with a strike, but TWIST YOUR HAND INWARD so you block the punch with your shoulder instead of your face.
B) weave, duck under the punch. The puncher's body and face is open for a split second.
C) close distance. Get inside the punch so it clips you rather than landing. You can go to town with elbows or a clinch.
D) avoid hook range, kick.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could:

A) yes, 'attack the centreline' with a strike, but TWIST YOUR HAND INWARD so you block the punch with your shoulder instead of your face.
B) weave, duck under the punch. The puncher's body and face is open for a split second.
C) close distance. Get inside the punch so it clips you rather than landing. You can go to town with elbows or a clinch.
D) avoid hook range, kick.

E) go and actually train so you know what all of the above actually is..............

Latest Discussions