How do deal with a hook punch? Which version here is best?

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Can you guys tell me what you think of these 3 versions here?

1) Go to 5:50. What do you think of this? He says he does not even have to block the punch
and instead simply hit the center line. This sounds questionable to me. I want to see what he does
when he gets hit by the punch. He's probably unconscious on the floor soiling himself...

2) This version looks better imo. But then again why make it so complicated? Why turn my arms into
pretzels? The Mr Wong version looks WAAAY better and easier.

Go to 5:15

3) This is how Mr Wong does it. I don't know if it's "authentic" wing chun but it looks effective AND
rather simple! No pretzel arms. Go to 0:25

----

I am really confused that not even among wing chun teachers there is a CLEAR consenus on how to
block a certain punch!

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
gosh the last one saved the thread! he does karate/kung fu style block with his left and boxing block with his right. both work, the latter is better.
the 2 videos above are total crap. can't believe what i've just watched.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There are different ways to deal with various round or hooking punches. There are different kinds of punches that people refer to as "hooks", delivered at different angles and ranges. Depending on the situation, you have options. You learn what works best for you through experience ...by getting coaching, training and sparring. Not by watching Youtube.

Now go get some instruction, then come back and tell us what you learned!

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
gosh the last one saved the thread! he does karate/kung fu style block with his left and boxing block with his right. both work, the latter is better. ...the 2 videos above are total crap. can't believe what i've just watched.

^^^^ Exactly my point. Youtube is no place for a noob like the OP to be looking for instruction.

That last video isn't really typical WC. Wong does his own thing. But I agree, his approach as shown is pragmatic. I personally do something similar ...because it works! ;)

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So this means that you guys who do WC cannot simply tell me HOW do block it?

Why can't you just tell me unless you don't know it?

The first 2 wing chun methods look way too complicated and uneffective compared to what Wong does. Especially the first guy who doesn't even feel like he needs to block the punch.
Is he delusional or what? If this is really how wing chun guys tick then I'm really done with WC.

I thought WC was about keeping it simple but this isn't keeping it simple. Wong actually keeps it simple.

It's stupid to act like "this non-wc method is actually better but nooooh I have to stick to traditional wing chun and instead twist my arms into pretzels".

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

No, I can't tell you how to be good at martial arts. Teaching involves a lot more than that, otherwise you could just read how to do it in a book. Learn by training and doing.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score

Why can't you just tell me unless you don't know it?

The first 2 wing chun methods look way too complicated and uneffective compared to what Wong does. Especially the first guy who doesn't even feel like he needs to block the punch.
Is he delusional or what? If this is really how wing chun guys tick then I'm really done with WC.

I thought WC was about keeping it simple but this isn't keeping it simple. Wong actually keeps it simple.

It's stupid to act like "this non-wc method is actually better but nooooh I have to stick to traditional wing chun and instead twist my arms into pretzels".
What is the distance from the opponent?
Where are my hands? What is my weight distribution, forward, back, to the right, to the left? What lead am I in? It is a low hook, midline hook, head hook? Is it a short tight hook? Is it a step off slapping or pulling hook? Is it a long range hook?

It has already been explained to you there are different ways to deal with various round or hooking punches. There are different kinds of punches that people refer to as "hooks", delivered at different angles and ranges. Depending on the situation, you have options. You learn what works best for you through experience ...by getting coaching, training and sparring.

That is not what you want to hear.
So... Ok Mister 'Just Tell Me'
Do this; Recognize a hook punch is coming, lift your arm to the point it is between your opponent's target (You) and block it.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
The thing about martial arts skills is they can't be taught but they can be learned.
You have to physically do the work. Do it properly, do it often and you will learn.

Last edited:
Reactions: KPM

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the distance from the opponent?
Where are my hands? What is my weight distribution, forward, back, to the right, to the left? What lead am I in? It is a low hook, midline hook, head hook? Is it a short tight hook? Is it a step off slapping or pulling hook? Is it a long range hook?

It has already been explained to you there are different ways to deal with various round or hooking punches. There are different kinds of punches that people refer to as "hooks", delivered at different angles and ranges. Depending on the situation, you have options. You learn what works best for you through experience ...by getting coaching, training and sparring.

That is not what you want to hear.
So... Ok Mister 'Just Tell Me'
Do this; Recognize a hook punch is coming, lift your arm to the point it is between your opponent's target (You) and block it.
This.

You want "the answer". It doesn't exist in any art, anywhere. Any instructor who offers you "the answer" is lying. There are answers. Many of them. None of them works every time, and some are worse than others but still valid for specific circumstances. If you gave me a crystal clear example of the situation (both people's posture, distance, environment, etc.) and definition of "hook punch" (as others have said, this is not a specific, single attack as defined by all arts), I could probably give you 6 effective responses without thinking too hard. Others here could give you other numbers, and there would be overlap, but no two lists would probably be exactly the same.

This is just more excuses from you.

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ok, so you can't give me a simple answer how you would block a hook punch like shown in these videos. I find this weird.

But can you at least tell me if the defenses of the wing chun guys in the first 2 videos suck? Or is this also not possible unless you stand
there right besides him and can measure exact distances and calculate everything with a computer?

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
To the OP,

Didn't watch the videos, don't care to. When dealing with any self defense situation you first have to understand what your natural inclinations are. Are you inclined to duck, run, grab, clinch, hit etc. when force is applied to you? We all have preferences based upon our natural instincts when subjected to stimuli. This determines what we will or will not use in a defense situation. How one person reacts to something can vary greatly from how another reacts. This natural reaction should be exploited in training to maximize efficiency in dealing with applied force. There is no one magic movement or application that applies to all people or situations equally. Thus, a technique can not be qualitatively measured by individuals who would approach it based upon biased actions of their individual preferences. They are inclined to approach the situation in a manner that best suits their level of comfort, skill, & knowledge which will be determined by their constitution and emotional state. It's too easy to criticize an application as effective or not when the individual being evaluated isn't factored into the equation. What one can do, another may not be able to for a myriad of reasons. It's easy to judge as a spectator, not so easy when a participant. It's meaningless to ask what is good, proper or effective technique/application based upon another actions & understanding if you have no intention of trying it out for yourself. Study something, ask questions and try it out for yourself to come to an educated decision as to its validity.

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thus, a technique can not be qualitatively measured by individuals who would approach it based upon biased actions of their individual preferences.

I don't agree with this. If somebody defends against an attack and the way he defends simply sucks then it sucks period.

If somebody punches him and he leaves his whole side open then this cannot be the proper way. It goes against everything I have seen so far

in all kinds of videos. I am sure that a silat guy would also say that this is not how you do it. You have to protect yourself and not just hope that you

hit him first and that the attacker will be blown away by your hit and fly against the next wall. This is silly.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't agree with this. If somebody defends against an attack and the way he defends simply sucks then it sucks period.

If somebody punches him and he leaves his whole side open then this cannot be the proper way. It goes against everything I have seen so far

in all kinds of videos. I am sure that a silat guy would also say that this is not how you do it. You have to protect yourself and not just hope that you

hit him first and that the attacker will be blown away by your hit and fly against the next wall. This is silly.

Well, seems like you have it all figured out. Congrats.

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

Simply not true. Everyone will have an "opinion" as to what is correct & what isn't, and it will be based upon their own knowledge & preferences to dealing with the approach. To get a clearer picture we need to understand, not only, personal theory to fighting , but also, their strengths, weakness, agility, body type, mental disposition, pain tolerance etc. There is no way to quantify this in a general "one size fits all" method. Everyone will have different approaches based upon factors influenced by the situation. Until you know what your preferences are, by actually being in the situation, how can you make a fair and valid judgement to as to the validity of someone else's approach? Once you've done this, how can you say it isn't the best approach for them? You cannot, you can only apply it to yourself.

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well, I think that leaving your side open to a hook punch isn't very safe. I want to see what this guy would do in a real fight when he gets hit.

This is like saying I need no bullet proof vest I simply make sure I shoot him first. How silly is this?

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, I think that leaving your side open to a hook punch isn't very safe. I want to see what this guy would do in a real fight when he gets hit.

This is like saying I need no bullet proof vest I simply make sure I shoot him first. How silly is this?
Let's put this in a different perspective.

Let's say that a 6' 6", 285 lbs. weightlifter with roid rage is intent on smashing my skull in. I'm 5'8", 185 lbs. How I approach him will be very different than how I approach a 5'6", 115 lbs. crack head looking for drug money.
If the weightlifter tries to hook punch my head, Im not going to put myself in a situation to be that close to him. What I am going to do is find something of decent weight to throw at his head while I run away. With the crack head, I've got a decent jaw, so not too worried if I muff up my counter to his hook. Plus I'm going to be way more confident with someone I perceive weaker than me than with someone 3x my strength & 100 lbs. heavier. If I couldn't get away from either, my main goal is the neck, no blood to brain, no fight. So whatever has to be done to accomplish that will be done. Spit, scratch, bite, improvised weapons etc. My goal is to get back to my family. I don't care about sport, fairness, morality or legality when forced to defend myself. If given no option, I'm all out. My attitude to the situation determines how I will approach it. It will not be the same every time.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok, so you can't give me a simple answer how you would block a hook punch like shown in these videos. I find this weird.

But can you at least tell me if the defenses of the wing chun guys in the first 2 videos suck? Or is this also not possible unless you stand
there right besides him and can measure exact distances and calculate everything with a computer?

They are more interested in playing the man. It is about being able to separate your butt hurt from the argument.

Conversation should be more like sparring. I where you test ideas rather than shut the guy by refusing to engage fairly.

Hooks can come pretty quick so unless you have a lot of tools in the tool belt you are best served getting your hand up like you are answering the phone.

Then if you want to be really slick. Return a shot with that same hand you blocked with and nail him before he can cover his own head

But with all techniques the rules change a bit depending on the person and what they can physically do in that situation.

If you were maywhether you would have more options.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
By the way boxing might be a bit of you. It is simple honest. Generally pretty cheap. No gradings or uniforms.

And you get out what you put in. So if you are crap at least you will know it.

Latest Discussions