How close do UFC fights come to real life self defence?

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
shane23ss said:
I have been a police officer for some time myself. As far as the fights/struggles going to the ground. Most police officers will tell you they try to do that as soon as the struggle starts. As for me, I can't recall a single time a fight/struggle has gone to the ground without me doing it on purpose. Most officers try to do this quickly to get the situation under control. But to answer your question point blank Danjo, I have never ended up on the ground without doing it on purpose.
Thanks Shane23ss,

that seems to be a common thing with the various LEOs here, i.e., they DO end up on the ground, but mostly because the LEO takes it there. However, be prepared to handle yourself there in any case because you never know.

R

RMACKD

Kane said:
Because I have an experiance in fencing, meaning I know how to use a weapon. I've done fencing for a long while now, so I can apply the moves I learn in fencing to a tire-iron or some crow bar lying around. Basicly any type of object I can use to my advantage with fencing skills. I doubt any UFC fighters have any weapons training, especially fencing.

Plus I am a pretty tough SOB without weapons too. I am a 4-time All American in freestyle wrestling and greco wrestling. I have also done ju jitsu for so long I don't even remembered when I started. I am also pretty strong guy. I think even without weapons I would give them a run for their money, but maybe they will win in the end due to more experiance but in a weapons battle I will own.
Personally I do not think the techniques of fencing are that applicable to a streetfight. I really doubt you could give any UFC fighter a run for their money. Being good at wrestling is one thing but Ultimate Fighting is a whole other sport and just knowing wrestling and jiu-jitsu will not cut it. But you could always challenge them. They are not some monks living in a mountain and they are very accesible. Most have taken a few challenge matches.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Danjo said:
Thanks Shane23ss,

that seems to be a common thing with the various LEOs here, i.e., they DO end up on the ground, but mostly because the LEO takes it there. However, be prepared to handle yourself there in any case because you never know.
Since you seem pretty interested in the topic, i've got a story of a ground fight involving a fellow officer. He showed up at a disturbance call. When he walked in to the guys bedroom the guy attacked him. They both fell on the ground, fortunately with the officer on top. The suspect kept saying he was going to kill him. This officer had no ground training what so ever, so all he could do was try to lay on top of the guy and wait for backup. Law Enforcement ground fighting skills are a lot like ejection seats in jet fighters. You may never need one, you hope to never need one, but when you need one, nothing else will do.

shane23ss

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have had LOTS of grappling training, and see where it is useful in this line of work. I have never trained in Aikido, but could see how that could also be helpful.

Kane

Black Belt
Reaction score
RMACKD said:
Personally I do not think the techniques of fencing are that applicable to a streetfight. I really doubt you could give any UFC fighter a run for their money. Being good at wrestling is one thing but Ultimate Fighting is a whole other sport and just knowing wrestling and jiu-jitsu will not cut it. But you could always challenge them. They are not some monks living in a mountain and they are very accesible. Most have taken a few challenge matches.
You think fencing wouldn't be helpful for weapons fighting? It works quite efective with long blunt objects as well as knives.

Actually I am not too bad at striking either. I'm not trying to say I can beat any of these fighters in a UFC match. I am saying I already have a good amount of default fighting power and adding my weapons skills would make me very powerful. I don't think many UFC fighters have practiced in weapons as much as I, because their focus if for MMA, not weapons fighting. That is why I think that I can match them in a street fight IF I had a weapon.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kane said:
You think fencing wouldn't be helpful for weapons fighting? It works quite efective with long blunt objects as well as knives.

Actually I am not too bad at striking either. I'm not trying to say I can beat any of these fighters in a UFC match. I am saying I already have a good amount of default fighting power and adding my weapons skills would make me very powerful. I don't think many UFC fighters have practiced in weapons as much as I, because their focus if for MMA, not weapons fighting. That is why I think that I can match them in a street fight IF I had a weapon.
I used to fence. That barbed wire cuts you if you aren't careful when you unroll it, though. I'm not sure what good it does in a fight, unless you smack someone with a fence post.

Kane

Black Belt
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
I used to fence. That barbed wire cuts you if you aren't careful when you unroll it, though. I'm not sure what good it does in a fight, unless you smack someone with a fence post.
LOL, not that type of fencing.:rolleyes:

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sometimes just being big, bad and willing to fight trumps training. In those cases you need a bigger hammer. Or faster feet.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kane said:
LOL, not that type of fencing.:rolleyes:
I'd actually back that kind of fencer over the other type. Most fencers I've met were blue collar workers with gigantic arms (doe to extremely strenuous work) and not shy of a blue or three.

As Tgace said, big bad and willing to fight.

OP
Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
RMACKD said:
What would stop the UFC fighter from grabbing a weapon and attacking you? Especially since many UFC fighters have more street experience than most martial artist have and a lot more than a lot of the so called reality self defense experts out there. Ken Shamrock ran away from home when he about twelve years old and was arrested for fighting several times. Bas Rutten has knocked out as many people outside the ring as he has inside the ring. kimo was a former gang banger. Both Brazil and Russia have some violent areas and many fighters come from them. Not to mention considering how much some of these fighters can bench. I bet Mark Kerr can swing a mean table. But if you are against a UFC fighter in a streetfight I do not think you would have an oppurtunity to bite their throat.
Yeah I see that, not that its revelant to UFC but look at upbringing of some of MA of our time seem to have rougher backgrounds. Then again thats cultural conditioning to force people to get an advantage over their environment when it comes to fighting. Best way to learn to fight is to learn a martial art.

J

JKD_Silat

In my humble opinion, there is a world of difference between ground fighting/self defense, and mma/grappling. The difference can be a combination of physical, and mental training. Grappling tends to have more of a sport mentality, where as groung fighting, in my opinion, tends to have more of a survival/self defense ideal, where foul tactics are viable, if not encouraged. It's kinda tough to expect foul tactics to be there when you need them when you train countless hours NOT to use them because you train for a mma/grappling/submission wrestling competition.
I believe that would put one at a marked dissadvantage in a fight against a comparably skilled adversairy, with comparable size/attributes. You fight like how you train.
That being said, even though the early UFC fighters had no real weight classes, time limits, and a lot of rules, they still "made an appoinment to fight". They even knew for the most part WHO they were fighting, and had the time luxury to train accordingly. Unfortunately, in real life, we ALWAYS have to be in reasonable "combat ready" condition to protect ourselves, and loved ones. Thats my 2 cents worth.

R

RMACKD

JKD_Silat said:
In my humble opinion, there is a world of difference between ground fighting/self defense, and mma/grappling. The difference can be a combination of physical, and mental training. Grappling tends to have more of a sport mentality, where as groung fighting, in my opinion, tends to have more of a survival/self defense ideal, where foul tactics are viable, if not encouraged. It's kinda tough to expect foul tactics to be there when you need them when you train countless hours NOT to use them because you train for a mma/grappling/submission wrestling competition.
I believe that would put one at a marked dissadvantage in a fight against a comparably skilled adversairy, with comparable size/attributes. You fight like how you train.
That being said, even though the early UFC fighters had no real weight classes, time limits, and a lot of rules, they still "made an appoinment to fight". They even knew for the most part WHO they were fighting, and had the time luxury to train accordingly. Unfortunately, in real life, we ALWAYS have to be in reasonable "combat ready" condition to protect ourselves, and loved ones. Thats my 2 cents worth.
How do you really "train" these dirty tatics when you can not use them against fully resisting opponents. It would be like practicing punching without ever using it in an alive sitiuation. I would not say the first UFC's had a lot of rules. The two rules were no biting or eye gouging. However if you did do any of these two techniques the fight would not be stopped and the only penalty was that they had to pay the other competitor a small fee if they caused any major damage. Gordeau actually bit Royces ear and Tank Abbot had been eye gouged during his match and Frank Shamrock has been eye gouged but they still made no difference in the outcome of the match. There has been many mma matches that have had biting or eye gouging occur. Just my .9 cents.

A

agatanai atsilahu

It could be argued that because of the underlying knowledge of the rules that any bites or gouges performed were done tentatively and/or without malice. After all they all know that they are merely in a competion, not fighting for their lives. A properly executed eye gouge, would likely rupture the eye, or cause its removal, that might sway the outcome, same with biting, the human mouth can apply a great deal of bite force, but mentally this would not come about in a competitve arena.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I counted at least five or six 'fouls' that we practice in self-defense, and that's just trying to keep it confined to Tae Kwon Do and similar wihout getting 'dirty'. Just today I practiced a small-joint manipulation to move a guy down followed with a knee to the face and/or head.

Number 22 seems to be a catch all that could cover a lot of stuff. I'm not sure if a sidekick to break the knee or a few moves designed to potentially hyperextend or break elbows would be allowed

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If one enjoys to see or participate in such contact events-whatever "floats the boat".

I just have a little strange feeling when I see something worded that is beyond the actual representation.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just have a little strange feeling when I see something worded that is beyond the actual representation.

Not in sales, are you?

Latest Discussions