How can you find time to train your solo forms?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you try to develop/maintain your basic skill such as:

Punch:

1. jab
2. cross
3. uppercut
4. hook

Kick:

5. front heel kick
6. front toes kick
7. side kick
8. roundhouse kick

Leg skill:

9. front cut
10. sickle hook
11. inner hook
12. outer hook

You can spend 2 hours daily just for those basic. Where will you be able to find time to train your solo form?

Your thought?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you try to develop/maintain your basic skill such as:

Punch:

1. jab
2. cross
3. uppercut
4. hook

Kick:

5. front heel kick
6. front toes kick
7. side kick
8. roundhouse kick

Leg skill:

9. front cut
10. sickle hook
11. inner hook
12. outer hook

You can spend 2 hours daily just for those basic. Where will you be able to find time to train your solo form?

Your thought?
I don’t have two hours daily to train. I wish I did. I don’t have time to train every day. I wish I did. When I do train, it is typically an hour and a half, but it can approach two hours.

Today I trained for an hour and a half. I spent about forty-five minutes on basics/fundamentals, in the way that you list above. I spent about forty-five minutes on my forms, doing each one once. Unfortunately it was raining so I did not take time to practice any weapons. When I do, that is when it approaches two hours. I usually spend fifteen to twenty minutes on basics/fundamentals for the weapon, and about ten on the form.

I don’t have a good place to hang my heavy bags. If I did, I would work it in and alternate days on some schedule. I hope to rectify that someday.

Mostly I am training by myself now, so don’t have partners to practice with. I am working on putting together a training group and hope to get some more interactive training.

But, when I practice my forms, I typically don’t do the same form over and over. I work through my series, typically doing each one once. The exception is our most fundamental form, Lok Lik Kuen, where I know four variations, so I include all of those in the series. But I typically do my series of forms every time I train.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Can you not consider those basics your solo form?
Can you not train those basics while practicing your solo form?

I guess it depends on what you define as your "solo form".

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Can you not consider those basics your solo form?
Can you not train those basics while practicing your solo form?

I guess it depends on what you define as your "solo form".
My solo form (I have learned about 50 forms) does not contain everything that I want to train. For example, "leg twist" is one of my favor move. There exist no solo drill ever designed for it.

outer-twist-solo-1.gif

Last edited:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think it’s important to train the component fundamentals, i. e. singular punches, kicks, footwork, etc. without mixing it up with other stuff. This is how I focus on the underlying principles embodied in the techniques.

I can agree with also categorizing forms as fundamentals, but in my opinion they occupy a wrung up on the ladder. They are fundamentals strung together in sequence with transitions, which makes them more challenging to do while maintaining the principles. In my opinion, that is where a big part of their value resides and can help tremendously in developing and maintaining a solid foundation while moving, changing, and transitioning.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
At my age, I don't practice a lot of techniques.

I don't need a 200,000 word dictionary. I learned a lot of words to get into grad school (back when it was damn difficult to pass the exam.) My vocabulary was extensive - and seldom used. But, I found I could effectively communicate with a much smaller dictionary in my head. Yes, my Scrabble and crossword game skills have eroded, but my life among literates has suffered little. So, I concentrate on clearly communicating my thoughts, staying on point, paying attention to proper grammar and spelling, putting some logical flow and structure into the composition, and using as few words as possible.

Vocabulary word for the day - "metaphor."

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My solo form (I have learned about 50 forms) does not contain everything that I want to train. For example, "leg twist" is one of my favor move. There exist no solo drill ever designed for it.

outer-twist-solo-1.gif

What do you define as "solo form"? Is it a form within your art? Or is it a form personal to you? If it is personal to you, why not add leg twist?

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What do you define as "solo form"? Is it a form within your art? Or is it a form personal to you? If it is personal to you, why not add leg twist?
To me, a solo form is a form within my art.

I think it’s important to train the component fundamentals, i. e. singular punches, kicks, footwork, etc. without mixing it up with other stuff.
I like to train single move as well. I cannot find any form on earth that contain this move - twist foot at the ankle.

outer-twist-solo-2.gif

Last edited:
OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
At my age, I don't practice a lot of techniques.
I don't worry about those techniques that even if I don't train it, I can still maintain it. I only want to maintain those techniques that if I don't keep doing it, I'll lose it.

This is a move that I don't want to lose it through my old age.

leg-lift-solo.gif

This side kick, back kick combo doesn't exit in my system but I like it very much. Even if I train form everyday, I still don't have chance to train this combo.

Last edited:

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I guess my sessions at home tend to vary. One will be basics-heavy. Another time will be forms-heavy. And another may be more bagwork stuff. And a bunch of other crazy fun stuff to mix it up (conditioning, agility, stance transition, slow-motion, footwork, breathing, balance work, power, advanced complex techniques...).

I think forms do still train fundamentals, but obviously there is more involved. Sometimes my basic technique sessions will be more focused and a 20 count for each. Others I do them all more as a warmup and refresher, going through 10 each and flowing continuously into the next set with no breaks. This allows time for other stuff, while still being a good refresher in your basics :) (and gets a sweat up!)

Ps. Also loved that kick combo, will be sure to try it on the bag ;)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This side kick, back kick combo doesn't exit in my system but I like it very much. Even if I train form everyday, I still don't have chance to train this combo.

Then practice that kick combo. Nothing about practicing forms prevents you from practicing that kick combo as well.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

outer-twist-solo-1.gif
So make a new form that incorporates that move, and your side kick-back kick combo.

Latest Discussions