How Brutal Were Your Black belts?

Swagmaster2993

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I remember when I started Karate, the black belts of the class would hit you with a stick if you got a Kata wrong. I don't do this and this practice stopped a long time ago.
Tell me your stories, did your sensei beat your a**?
Did you black belts hit you with sticks?

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
No, but my WC sifu used to hit me really hard if I messed up during chi sau or one of our attack/defense drills.

I guess that's not the same as getting whacked with a stick from behind, but it certainly gets your attention.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Never had a martial arts instructor really hit me in training.
Sparring yes, training no. Tapped or popped during drills with control... yes...may times. Hit no.
My instructors always maintained excellent control.

OP
S

Swagmaster2993

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Guys, I tell you, there are some crazy people out there. But quite often, they are heaps dedicated.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I never think of any of the teachers I have had, including my GM, as being brutal. It wasn't done. Did they sometimes cause pain? Yes, but it was to demonstrate a technique. I am not sure how to say it so it doesn't sound funny, but it was obvious they were ensuring I knew the correct application of the technique and its effects, not taking pleasure in hurting me.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
i have lots of stories,, not all mine but some that were told to me.
....like this one...
(since its not my story, the names have been changed and initialized to protect the innocent :angelic:)
back in the 1960's AR and JM were training in Okinawa. there was one Okinawan senior that had a dislike for Americans or so it seemed. there is an part of training where the sensei or sempai would "test" the students. the student would stand in a sanchin stance and the sempai would punch and kick the student to help the student find his center and work on conditioning. (the point was not to beat the crap out of the student) well this one Senior would really punch and kick AR and JM with everything he had. but AR said he was not going to let this guy win and would not give him the satisfaction to see how much it hurt. after one such session the two students walked down the hill after class heads held high ,, then totally collapsed under a tree, they couldnt walk any further. legs and arms bruised and beaten.. AR said " one day im gonna get that SOB....well that Sensei passed away in 2014. AR is still alive and kicking. so at least he outlived the guy.
(AR also has a reputation to be a very tough guy....he knocked me out demonstrating a technique once back in 2001)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had one who would give a moderate whack with a bamboo stick if your leg was off in some stances. It wasn't often, so you never knew when it was coming. He'd walk around the edges of the mats, and sometimes he'd have that stick behind his back. So, you'd finish a technique and "whack". Not a word, on those occasions.

I didn't get any of that, because I was VERY low rank under him. Those who were higher rank under him did, though.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
the worst and most painfull i ever received was from a Daito- ryu aiki guy named Dan Harden. i walked into his dojo with black belts in karate and aikido, so maybe he wanted to "show" me something. but i was working with him and he did a judo style throw and i landed on my side in a textbook breakfall but this particular throw ends with the nage landing on top of you. i learned that day the meeting the ground with a 200 pound body landing on top of you is worse than any punch someone can dish out. broken ribs? oh yes. something i will never forget.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
the worst and most painfull i ever received was from a Daito- ryu aiki guy named Dan Harden. i walked into his dojo with black belts in karate and aikido, so maybe he wanted to "show" me something. but i was working with him and he did a judo style throw and i landed on my side in a textbook breakfall but this particular throw ends with the nage landing on top of you. i learned that day the meeting the ground with a 200 pound body landing on top of you is worse than any punch someone can dish out. broken ribs? oh yes. something i will never forget.
Wow, broken ribs just because he wanted to "show" you that his dick is bigger?

Did he at least offer to reimburse your medical expenses?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We didn't have any black belts other than our instructor. And he was a pansy.
No disrespect intended.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Not much in that sense. It was more 'inadequate language' for our mental toughness, they said. But they were 'untouchable', even looking sleepy!!

Often we could feel the pain of a strike or lock, but it was almost always with control and no relevant damage. Apart a couple of exceptions for training and evaluation purposes.

Latest Discussions