Honorary Black Belt certifications and wording on them. Need suggsetions

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So a couple of years ago I heard some people talking at work. One of them stated that person X had just gotten their black belt. I interrupted them and asked about the name, to get it right so I could go talk to them. Working as an engineer and with engineers, martial artists are few. So when I approached the guy and congratulated him on his black belt, I asked what style? He looked confused. I repeated the question, and told him my rank and styles. He said he got it in DFSS - Design For Six Sigma. There is a certification programs that uses three ranks. Green Belt, Brown Belt and Black belt.

I tried to be polite and leave. The guy was embarrassed and even if I said hi to him in passing he would ignore me. He would not make eye contact.

Please give them an award and certificate of appreciation. Not of rank. I know others have done it. I could also say others have shot themselves in the head as well. I still would not recommend that either. (* My apologies to anyone who might be upset for a lost family or friend per my description above. *)

Just my opinion and my comments or advice.

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Why the need to have a honorary belt? Won't a simple plaque or dozen roses do the trick? :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see, I like the red roses angle.

Depends on who it's for, red roses could send the wrong message :ultracool.
Seriously though there's a lot of ways to show appreciation rather than an honorary belt, flowers are good too, I like chocolates myself lol!

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Depends on who it's for, red roses could send the wrong message :ultracool.
Seriously though there's a lot of ways to show appreciation rather than an honorary belt, flowers are good too, I like chocolates myself lol!
Mashed potatoes and gravy. <mmmm>

Nuts. Now I'm hungry.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Latest Discussions