Home-made Mook Jong (wooden Dummy)

LordOfWu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Wooden Dummy's, eh...at my work we call them Vice-Presidents, but that model is not as durable and costs a heck of a lot more!

Nicely done, though, just from the perspective of tackling a project yourself! I don't know anything more about the technical pieces.

Old Duag

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello, I'm completely new at this and while I'm busy getting my weight, and overall fitness back to a starting point I thought I would spend some of that time making the wooden dummy. Have some plans I bought, but the biggest obstacle so far is - Where do I find a 9 inch diameter log?

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this.

Thanks
Bill

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hello, I'm completely new at this and while I'm busy getting my weight, and overall fitness back to a starting point I thought I would spend some of that time making the wooden dummy. Have some plans I bought, but the biggest obstacle so far is - Where do I find a 9 inch diameter log?

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this.

Thanks
Bill

The best way is to laminate five good kiln-dried 2X10s together. Fir or pine will do fine, although hardwood is nice. To get a good fit the pieces should be run through a joiner first, then glues and clamped well. Then use a large saw, such as a bandsaw, or whatever, to knock off the corners to make an octagonal post. Then round it out with a carpenter's plane and a belt sander. If a bit of the faceting still shows up after sanding, make sure to have one flat surface facing due front, and then the side angles will line up evenly and provide a good, if slightly flattened, surface to strike when you are angled off to each side. The advantage of laminating the center post is that it will be much stronger and never crack like my old one-piece dummy has. And generally, the posts were always shaved down by hand this way since a log of that size won't fit on an ordinary lathe. On my old Chinese dummy you could still faintly make out the facets if you ran your hand carefully around the surface. Laminated "bentwood" would be an ideal choce for the leg too, since it si stronger than two pieces joined together at the "knee" or bend, like on many commercially sold dummies. Otherwise use a naturally bent branch cut to fit. That's what mine has. Funky looking but strong.

BTW I once had a room-mate who was a first class woodworker and he explained all this to me after taking a look at my dummy. Still, I've had a hard enough time just refurbishing my old dummy... I'm not about to make one from scratch. On the other hand, you might just come out with something better than you can buy. Good luck.

Old Duag

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Geezer.

I was thinking of glueing up boards like you discribed, but thought it would be too weak. I see now it would be just the opposite. I'll do it that way.

Thank you.

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nice Jong!
We used to make our dummies out of pvc piping and believe it or not even though it was super cheap & semi stupid looking it held up pretty well. Plus all the materials cost way less than a $100. Actually we even build a stand for it out of the same material, but now a few years ago I bought a Muk Jong from China. It was around $700 but decent quality, im definitely happy with its performance, however pvc will do the trick as well if you dont have the extra $$$ to spend.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
The best way is to laminate five good kiln-dried 2X10s together.

You know that has never ever occurred to me to do it like that , in my mind I've always thought of it as a single piece of wood , a big log.
But that would work great , awesome idea Geezer.
Now thats what I call lateral thinking.

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Question:

What would you guys/girls recommend for the wall mount?

For instance what dimensions?
What type of wood should the wall mount be composed of to allow longevity?

Thanks,

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Also would you recommend Floor stands as opposed to wall mounts?

Basically I would have to attach it to my wall in my house which may over time & practice cause damage to the wall which I'm trying to prevent.

In the past I had a wall mount made out of regular pine, it held up well however I've never used a floor stand so I'm not sure as far as quality if its as sturdy as a wall mount or if there are cons to it as well.

Thanks,

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Just thought I'd throw this out there for those who wish to own a Mook Jong but can't afford the ridiculous prices:), I've made one this weekend using a tree trunk, a couple of limbs and some lengths of timber (for the supports etc). Here's some photos of the (almost) finished project...

http://sandstormfighter.blogspot.com/

If you are interested in making one yourself, I can try and give some tips/advice, and I can put up the dimentions etc.

Just thought I'd share it with you

Kind regards

John

I like it, but then the version of Sanda I trained used trees for strike training.

As for Wing Chun, I never got to the Mook Jong forms, but I still think it is very cool

chinaboxer

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just thought I'd throw this out there for those who wish to own a Mook Jong but can't afford the ridiculous prices:), I've made one this weekend using a tree trunk, a couple of limbs and some lengths of timber (for the supports etc). Here's some photos of the (almost) finished project...

http://sandstormfighter.blogspot.com/

If you are interested in making one yourself, I can try and give some tips/advice, and I can put up the dimentions etc.

Just thought I'd share it with you

Kind regards

John
nice! yea, it's ridiculous how expensive wooden dummys are! =(

simplewc101

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
currently making my own jong and its a lot of hard work.

OP did the hardest part, which is finding a log for the body.
My goal is to make a professional grade mook jong
I have made my arms and the leg with a band saw, beltsander, drillpress and accessories, tablesaw, laminate, wooden pegs, a billion clamps, and alot of engineering and know how.
OP alluded that given access to the proper equipment, one could make a nice lookin mook jong in a short amount of time. Unfortunately, this is not so... unless you have access to proper sized hardwood trees. even then there are hours of cutting and sanding ahead...mostly sanding.

I set out with an idealistic vision in mind to build a professional grade mook jong like the one made by caesjong,
but along the way I encountered problems. Even with tons of woodworking experience, know-how, and proper tools/ facility ,building a mook jong is a large task.

problem #1) Hardwood trees I had access too were not straight, and would require around 15 hours or more to steam it straight.
problem #2) finding a source for hardwood log/pole or proper wood and dimensions and quantity.
problem 3) know-how. Given the proper tools and resources, the actual building of the mook jong is difficult, especially if you like to do things right the first time without messups. Sometimes its downright dangerous.

what I ended up doing:
-used very hard, thoroughly dried oak wood cuts for the arms. laminated oak pieces together and used wooden pegs and glue for stronger hold and solid wood look with no screws or nails.
-used very hard, thouroughly dried fir cuts for leg, lamination and wooden peg methods..
-forgoing the wood body and opting for a body made from Schedule 80 piping. (pretty sure ill fill it with sand, and make it so the sand can be easily added and removed from the base for transportation) as geezer was suggesting earlier in the thread.

The design for the stand has not been completed yet, although I think I'll go with a stand alone method, as it will be easier to move from place to place.
in the future, the Schedule 80- piping can be replaced, temporarily or permanently with a suitable wood log.
The stand can also be replaced or changed for future circumstances.

it took me about 40 hours ( 4 complete working days) or so to make three arms and a proper leg twice (lol @the first messup). the hardest part was making the leg, as all your cuts had to have very precise angles to make the fit correct.

I know my oak arms will be durable. the fir leg worried me until I picked it up and felt how dense that 40 yr old dried fir timber was. It'll be durable.

I have to finish:
Final sanding before coating wood with a particular oil. (anyone who knows about metal polishing knows what it takes to get a good final surface)
cutting schedule 80 piping
stand

I'll post some pics of my arms and leg soon , and later one when its all done.
I can be more detailed of the processes if anyone wants, this is just a long post already, and I don't want to bore people.

Latest Discussions