Mook Yan Jong Purchase advice

MonkeyD

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi all!

New to the forum and already going to pick your brains.

I am purchasing my first Jong next week, my budget is limited and through relatively extensive research on my options price wise I have narrowed my option down to the following two (below)

Note: The arms are available in a rounded spec and have various different leg types on offer.

Space is not an issue so the it really does come down to choice, I would prefer the feedback offered from the standing frame but I am not sure of the jong size is sufficient, I am 5''9 so not a monster by any means but it does seem far smaller than the freestanding.
Please scroll through to the end pics in the album which show the Jongs in a realistic light.

Your thoughts are much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
D

Option 1: Full Frame

Wing Chun Wooden Dummy With Frame And Legs Walnut Color

Option 2: Freestanding

Wing Chun Wooden Dummy Closed Base Walnut Color

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Most commercial made Jongs are going to be a standard size, and since you are of average height it shouldn't be an issue. Definitely go with the rounded arms rather than the "squared" arms that are pictured. There are lots of "rolling" and "clinging" motions in Wing Chun that will just flow better on a rounded arm. Realize that the entire dummy is NOT hardwood. This is no big deal for the trunk, but it can mean the arms would be more prone to breakage. Although my first dummy I built myself out of pine and it held up fine. But I was always a little nervous that I was going to break on of the arms with a good solid Bong Sau.

The frame mounted dummy is going to give you more "give" and "bounce" and more of an "alive" feel. The free-standing dummy is going to allow you more latitude to move around to the side and "flank" the dummy more, and of course takes up far less space. Ip Man WCK doesn't really work on going that far to the side, so if space it not an issue and Ip Man style is your thing, go for the frame mount.

Hope that helps! Good luck! Getting a dummy is like buying a fine piece of furniture that you expect to be in the family for many years. So definitely get as nice a one as you can afford.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Cheeky Monkey! Coming on this forum and "picking our brains" without telling us anything about yourself! How about an introduction? What branch of WC do you practice? And were are you located ...in the UK I presume? :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cheeky Monkey! Coming on this forum and "picking our brains" without telling us anything about yourself! How about an introduction? What branch of WC do you practice? And were are you located ...in the UK I presume? :)

Methinks from the pic they are from my neck of the woods, it's how we show the Yorkshire Rose in North Yorkshire!

OP
MonkeyD

MonkeyD

White Belt
Reaction score
Cheers for the input KPM, much along the lines i was thinking, always good to get a second opinion! haven't trained on one for a while now.
Geezer, what can I say, time is of the essence!
However you're right, a better introduction is warranted If i'm to stick around! Practitioner for about 4/5 years now, Ip man lineage, trained here in the UK with Sifu Colin Ward, briefly with Sifu Ip Chun whilst Living in HK and now mainly alone in the time I can spare, which is very little.
Back in sunny Yorkshire and a little far from a Kwoon, so can't be getting rusty!
Another reason why the need for a Jong!

PiedmontChun

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Most commercial made Jongs are going to be a standard size, and since you are of average height it shouldn't be an issue. Definitely go with the rounded arms rather than the "squared" arms that are pictured. There are lots of "rolling" and "clinging" motions in Wing Chun that will just flow better on a rounded arm. Realize that the entire dummy is NOT hardwood. This is no big deal for the trunk, but it can mean the arms would be more prone to breakage. Although my first dummy I built myself out of pine and it held up fine. But I was always a little nervous that I was going to break on of the arms with a good solid Bong Sau.

This is a good point regarding hardwood arms, although...... you can buy hardwood dummy arms thru a handful of retailers if you ever felt like you had to upgrade them; many seem to be a 1.5" -ish dimension for the square portion which inserts thru the trunk. Meaning if you shop right, you could always add hardwood arms later on if needed that would fit just fine.

I built my dummy with cheaper framing type lumber (syp, pine, fir, who knows?) for the trunk, then I used harder (and much more expensive) red oak for the 3 arms. It gives a more satisfying "clack" and is more durable against breakage for sure. I wouldn't let the higher cost of all-hardwood be a barrier that stands in the way of owning a dummy though.

Latest Discussions