hmm which weapon?

J

jkdhit

as some of you might know already, my college is having an open martial arts tournament and one of the sections is a weapon sparring competition which will consist of foam encased weapons including.. nunchucks, tonfas, sais, long and short bos, long and short daitos, and 3-section staves.

so basically almost every weapon is available and there's no way for me to know what other competitors will be using. so my question is which weapon do you think i should sign up with?

i'm mainly skilled with nunchucks, bos, swords, and 3 section staff. i'm thinking a majority of users will sign up for the daito or bo so i think it's safe to rule out using nunchucks. any suggestions?

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Wow, that sounds fun... I would choose the Bo simply because of the reach advantage... The Jo (4 foot staff) would be fun also-

The most challenging would seem to be the Tonfa or Sai (They make foam versions of these?) hard to manipulate quickly and little reach-

Can you sweep with these weapons?

OP
J

jkdhit

yep we're going to be allowed to sweep since they're foam encased. i'm still contemplating between the bo and 3 section staff as my choice

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
jkdhit said:
as some of you might know already, my college is having an open martial arts tournament and one of the sections is a weapon sparring competition which will consist of foam encased weapons including.. nunchucks, tonfas, sais, long and short bos, long and short daitos, and 3-section staves.

so basically almost every weapon is available and there's no way for me to know what other competitors will be using. so my question is which weapon do you think i should sign up with?

i'm mainly skilled with nunchucks, bos, swords, and 3 section staff. i'm thinking a majority of users will sign up for the daito or bo so i think it's safe to rule out using nunchucks. any suggestions?

You mention 3 weapons that you're mainly skilled with. How comfortable do you feel with the other weapons? If you feel confident enough, go ahead and give one of the other ones a try. How much time do you have to prepare for this event? IMO, I'd go with whichever one I felt the most comfortable with.

Good luck in the event! :)

Mike

OP
J

jkdhit

im not really comfortable with the other weapons except for the tonfas. i'm assuming most people will go with a bo staff so i think the best choice for me would be a bo staff or 3 section staff

i have about 4.5 months to practice

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yep the "Bo" sounds like the best choice..Reach out and touch someone...

OP
J

jkdhit

i actually ended up registering for the 3 section staff because i figured it would be most versatile against short ranged and long ranged weapons

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
As long as you think you can handle it in very good form, I think you should go with the bo. It is very difficult to defeat. This has been proven time and again in Gathering of the Pack held by the DBMA. Keep your distance and go for it. Best of luck.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
jkdhit said:
i actually ended up registering for the 3 section staff because i figured it would be most versatile against short ranged and long ranged weapons

So if you hit yourself, does the other guy get points. :) This would be a serious concern of mine when using a three section staff, I have a hard enough time with nunchaku. I'd be using a staff, preferably at quarterstaff length.

Lamont

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
three section staff just seems like it would be hard as hell to use. I'd go with a bo staff personally, or maybe a diato.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The three section staff is cool-looking, but I'd rather have two (unconnected) sticks most of the time.

OP
J

jkdhit

if you hit yourself, the other person doesnt get points unless it looks like an obvious problem hit like your whack yourself in the face lol

i was originally thinking the bo but in the end, the 3 section staff still has a longer reach. i also picked the 3 section staff because its more mobile compared to the bo so i figure i'll have more opportunities to land an attack. i'm pretty good with defense but my attacks still need a bit of work. if i train hard, i think it'll work out great

Latest Discussions