High Kick

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been viewing a bit of high kicks in Wing Chun. In this vid (obviuosly no idea who this fella is) one caught my eye. not so much for the kick height, but from the angle and where contact is made. Is that a Wing Chun kick?

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
1. These are all demos for impression.
2. He may well express his wc in this manner.
3. I do and have my students practice high kicks very similar to these for flexibility, balance, body control..., etc.
4. I instruct these kicks are for #3 and instruct to use them below the waist in a self-defense situation.
5. They are Fun to do.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. These are all demos for impression.
2. He may well express his wc in this manner.
3. I do and have my students practice high kicks very similar to these for flexibility, balance, body control..., etc.
4. I instruct these kicks are for #3 and instruct to use them below the waist in a self-defense situation.
5. They are Fun to do.

Sure. It is difficult being a Youtube video to discern if something is Hollywood or not. That was an acute angle I thought.

tkdwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
Been viewing a bit of high kicks in Wing Chun. In this vid (obviuosly no idea who this fella is) one caught my eye. not so much for the kick height, but from the angle and where contact is made. Is that a Wing Chun kick?

Interesting video:)

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Heinrich Pfaff is an EWTO guy (European Wing Tsun Organization). He was a student of Sifu Keith Kernsphect and was at one time the head instructor of the German HQ. He has since went off to do his own thing.

The kicks he does are not WT, or at least they are exaggerated versions of WT kicks done for the sake of demonstration. They aren't practical kicks but man I love watching his demos. He's an amazing kicker.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Which kick are we talking about?
(thanks)

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Which kick are we talking about?
(thanks)
images
upload_2015-1-1_11-56-2.jpeg

It's not so much that these types of kicks aren't WT kicks, they are just exaggerated. They make for good demos and photo ops.

But I'm guilty of it too.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heinrich Pfaff is an EWTO guy (European Wing Tsun Organization). He was a student of Sifu Keith Kernsphect and was at one time the head instructor of the German HQ. He has since went off to do his own thing.

The kicks he does are not WT, or at least they are exaggerated versions of WT kicks done for the sake of demonstration. They aren't practical kicks but man I love watching his demos. He's an amazing kicker.

Agree, pretty cool.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
images
View attachment 19137

It's not so much that these types of kicks aren't WT kicks, they are just exaggerated. They make for good demos and photo ops.

But I'm guilty of it too.
Not me.I never demonstrate that high kicking stuff anymore. Yep, 'cuz I'm just too old and stiff! :p

BTW is that Alex Richter wearing the blindfold in the first photo? The second shot is from a poster showing LT kicking my si-dei Robert Jacquet in the throat while simultaneously trapping his hands and thumb-gouging him in the left eye. LT himself admitted that it was just for show. --Great poster though!

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Big in the Wing Chun world then?

He's a very knowledgeable person here in US. He had trained in Germany at the castle for a few years then has had a lot of training with Leung Ting and Cheng Chuen Fun (Leung Ting's top HK student) in Hong Kong, among others.

As you may have surmised from your time on the forum, WT is particularly political, which is why several of us here from that particular line are no longer affiliated with the main branch.
Alex Richter is someone who has also broken away and seems to have dispensed with a lot of the politics and is getting to the heart of the matter.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's a very knowledgeable person here in US. He had trained in Germany at the castle for a few years then has had a lot of training with Leung Ting and Cheng Chuen Fun (Leung Ting's top HK student) in Hong Kong, among others.

As you may have surmised from your time on the forum, WT is particularly political, which is why several of us here from that particular line are no longer affiliated with the main branch.
Alex Richter is someone who has also broken away and seems to have dispensed with a lot of the politics and is getting to the heart of the matter.

Yeah I have had thought from day one. My take is that it seems like traditionalists against modernists. Of course that could be my own naivety in play. I will concede that I look upon it in a simplistic fashion. The variations on a common core seem quite strange, as it is counted as a TMA. As I say though, I am more than likely missing a lot of factual data on this, but in simplistic terms, WC is just WC to me. No doubt in the coming months I will be enlightened further, or not :)

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Alex actually strikes me as a pretty traditional WT man, but just one whose had enough of the politics. Transk, you can check out his short videos explaining his take on WT on Howcast on Youtube. I've found that his take on things is very similar to my own, and he appears highly skilled.

Within the "extended WT family" (Yip Man WC as interpreted by Leung Ting) you might also want to check out Emin Boztepe and his EBMAS group, or "Fighterman" Sifu Fernandez' videos to see some other takes on this lineage. The branch I'm connected with is, of course, in my signature.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alex actually strikes me as a pretty traditional WT man, but just one whose had enough of the politics. Transk, you can check out his short videos explaining his take on WT on Howcast on Youtube. I've found that his take on things is very similar to my own, and he appears highly skilled.

Within the "extended WT family" (Yip Man WC as interpreted by Leung Ting) you might also want to check out Emin Boztepe and his EBMAS group, or "Fighterman" Sifu Fernandez' videos to see some other takes on this lineage. The branch I'm connected with is, of course, in my signature.

Thanks Geezer, will do. Don't want my ears to bleed, but such a wealth of information can be a tad overwhelming, but still very interesting. I appreciate the insights ;) Actually wondering just how many Sifu's populate this board!

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not me.I never demonstrate that high kicking stuff...
WHAT??? I Don't Believe You; in all your years you've never shown or done this high kicking stuff...

...anymore.
Ahh! I knew it, I just knew it.

Yep, 'cuz I'm just too old and stiff!
Yeah buddy. I know your pain. lol
But I can still kick that high with no problem.
One time.
After a good warm up.
And a good stretch.
IF it's been a few days since the last time I did so.
And don't ask me to do it twice!!
But I can still kick that high with no problem.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if I should start handing out free bus passes metaphorically speaking :D

Latest Discussions