Hidy Ochiai and Washin-ryu.

DerekMMA

White Belt
Reaction score
My former Shotokan Karate Sensei trained under and received his Black Belt from Hidy Ochiai back in the 70s. He spoke very highly of him which then sparked my interest to find out more about Ochiai. My former Sensei told me about Ochiai's kata performances and demonstrations with the katana. He even said he was incredible in kumite. However, despite the incredible impression he gave me he did say that Ochiai had a huge ego. And as everyone else is concerned about Ochiai's background, so am I.

I have gone through many magazine articles featuring Ochiai and have looked through his books. All I can really say is what everyone already knows, that his background might trace back to a random temple, yet he cannot give information on this temple. The temple story definitely throws up a red flag. Even many of the anecdotes he has provided sound fraudulent. His background is most definitely questionable considering many Sensei's are very open about their backgrounds. Why Ochiai cannot be open about his background certainly baffles me.

There seems to be a majority agreement that Ochiai is talented, but in my opinion his kata tournament wins aren't really that impressive. There are many different tournaments/championchips with winners. Furthermore, some of his self-defense techniques are just plain silly. The multiple attacker techniques aren't really that practical.

I myself have had the opportunity to have participated in a local Connecticut tournament a few years back with Washin-Ryu participants. They were Black and Brown Belts, and I can say that I was not impressed. In fact, my former Sensei even said that they were terrible and commented on how Ochiai's standards must have taken a dive. If you are going to choose a Karate organization I would simply pick JKA, SKIF, SKA, or some other JKA-split organization. I myself am a fan of JKA's organized methods of training and the instructors have proven themselves. The history is also unquestionable.

Jason Striker II

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Without attempting to sort out GM Ochiai's background, I can tell you from personally having seen the man's technique close-up, he's a tremendous Karateka!

For example, on the classical side, his Sanchin Kata and Iaido (sword-drawing art), were highly impressive. On the application side, I remember, I think this was in the 1980's, a student of Ochiai quit Washin Ryu and took up full contact kickboxing - then the guy came back and challenged Ochiai to a three round match! Ochia knocked the guy out with little trouble.

I've also seen Ochiai as a chief referee at big tourneys twice - very fair and competent.

Von

White Belt
Reaction score
I can give some insight as I am a former student of washin-ryu for over 10 years, and have trained with Sensei Ochiai.

Hidy Ochiai, a native of Japan and a U.S. citizen, came to the United States in 1962 with the mission of teaching the martial arts. In 1966, after receiving his B.A. from Albright College, Master Ochiai moved to Binghamton, NY and established Washin-ryu (wa-harmony, shin-truth) Karate-do in the United States. Washin-ryu now includes 25 branch schools across the United States.
From 1967-1980, Master Ochiai established himself as one of the world’s premier martial artists. He was rated the number one kata (form) competitor by the PKA (Professional Karate Association), having won the United States Grand National Karate Championship for five consecutive years, an unduplicated record. He has been inducted twice to the Black Belt Magazine’s Hall of Fame in 1979 as “Instructor of the Year” and in 1980 as “Man of the Year.” In 2004, Hidy Ochiai was inducted to the Martial Arts History Museum’s Hall of Fame in Los Angeles. He received a record number of votes.
In 2001 Hidy Ochiai founded the Hidy Ochiai Foundation, which encompasses his philosophy and life-long teachings, the basis of which is expressed in the dynamic relationship between the mind and the body. With training, the mind and the body become unified in such a way that the individual becomes the true master of the self. Dedicated to promoting the principles of non-violence, the Foundation especially focuses on helping children and young adults learn and practice a positive and peaceful way of life – based on respect, self-discipline, self-confidence and mental and physical health, so they become constructive citizens, living in harmony with others.
Hidy Ochiai is the author of five books, including two comprehensive texts on self-defense, The Complete Book of Self-Defense and Hidy Ochiai’s Self-Defense for Kids: A Guide for Parents and Teachers. His book, A Way to Victory: Miyamoto Musashi’s Book of Five Rings is an English translation and commentary of Musashi’s ancient text and represents a seven-year effort to render the wisdom and spirit of Musashi’s timeless teachings. First released in Japan,A Way to Victory has been republished in the United States by the Overlook Press.
Additionally, he created two permanent college course offerings for the State University of New York. First, “Zen and the Martial Arts of Japan” in the Anthropology Department at Binghamton University and secondly, “Self-defense in the Martial Arts” for the School of Professional Studies at SUNY-Cortland. His accomplishments have been praised by the media nationally and internationally including Black Belt Magazine, and ABC’s Wide World of Sports, You Asked For It, and ESPN.
In 1994, Hidy Ochiai founded the non-profit organization called the Educational Karate Program (EKP), which was validated by the NYS Education Department as a program suitable for all public schools in New York State. EKP teaches students of all ages an attitude of anti-drugs and anti-violence. EKP is currently taught in several hundred schools by over 1400 certified teachers.
Hidy Ochiai’s humanitarian efforts have been recognized world wide. He has been named a Paul Harris Fellow by Rotary International, he is the recipient of Albright College’s 1999 “Distinguished Alumnus Award” and SERTOMA’s 2001 “Service to Mankind Award.” On November 1, 2002, the Japanese Government honored Master Hidy Ochiai as “an ambassador” of traditional Japanese culture and art. His Excellency, Ryozo Kato, the Ambassador of Japan, recognized Hidy Ochiai during the Embassy’s celebration of Japan’s Culture Day, which was held at the Ambassador’s residence in Washington, D.C. Master Ochiai was one of twelve traditional martial arts masters chosen by the Japanese government to receive this honor and recognition.
In the pursuit and expression of his art, Hidy Ochiai’s fundamental aim has been to help
individuals walk the path of self-development with dignity.

That following snippet came from here http://www.hidyochiai.org/main/?page_id=5

About Washin-Ryu Karate Do.

Washin-ryu Karate-do is the modern martial art of empty hand. It can be defined as a system of self-defense that enables its students to develop their mental, physical, and spiritual potential to the fullest extent by providing physical techniques so that the student may become more aware of the self’s relationship to the universal principle that is expressed in nature. It should be further stated that true karate-do comprises different elements so that it can be many things to many people, such as a method of self- defense, a sport (as a hobby or competitive game), a physical fitness program, a physical art of self expression, and so on.Ideally, a karate student should try to achieve a balanced view of the art of karate so that it can help to mold the whole person’s character. Although it is the student’s prerogative to emphasize one particular aspect for his personal satisfaction and benefit. It has been said traditionally that there are three main groups of people who engage in the practice of martial arts in general. The first group consists of people who emphasize the spiritual side of the art more than anything else, constantly engaging in meditation but slightly neglecting actual physical training. The second type is the opposite: they believe in physical training and perfection of techniques to such an extent that they often forget that human beings are endowed with spiritual and mental qualities that often become major factor in determining the outcome of any serious physical encounter with an opponent. The third type of participant should be called “utilitarian” martial artists, because they believe that the most important thing in martial arts is to defeat the opponent(s) and that is all that counts.The philosophical aspects and the aesthetic elements of the art are not fully appreciated by this third type of people. Needless to say, these approaches are all acceptable in a sense, each demonstrating one aspect of karate-do. But it must be stated unequivocally that none of the above mentioned extreme practices are truly representative of karate-do in the fullest sense of the word. Karate-do, in its highest sense, is very similar to the meaning of Tao, which can be defined as the basis for all existence that flows naturally, existing in accordance with the laws of nature. Once understood in this light, the modern art of karate can be utilized effectively as a means for educating young people as well as a way of life for the more mature. It is important that we do not lose this perspective of karate-do, no matter what aspect of the art we may choose to emphasize in training, for it is the marrow of the art.

That snippet came from here: http://www.hidyochiai.org/main/?page_id=22

Sensei Ochiai does also teach Iai, as I have taken his seminars. His technique is out of this world.

If there is anything I can answer, please feel free to ask.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back in the late 60s and into the 70s he would come to Syracuse NY and we in turn would go down to Binghamton for tournaments. He had some big name people come to his tournaments, the likes of Joe Lewis, monster man eddy, Jeff Smith, Bill Wallace. Fun times.... He was and is a great Martial Artist.

Von

White Belt
Reaction score
Yep he's held open tournaments at SUNY for countless years, and then Washin-Ryu only at headquarters in Vestal.

captbike

White Belt
Reaction score
Hidy Ochiai is only about 20 minutes from where I live. I never did check out his studio though. I believe he's published at least one book on his art.
I trained in Hidy Ochiai's KARATE-DIAL from 1991A.D. to 1998 C.E and earned BLUE BELT/BLACKBELT under Sensei Ken Jones and Mistress Sharon in Wadhinryu-Shotokan and now,because of SELENA,I have my,own Dojang (Korean Kenpo) and ton of Championship=Grandmaster Hidehiko takes Shotokan to an improved LEVEL.

Latest Discussions