Hidden weapons in case of home invasion

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So how many people here have hidden weapons in the night stand, under the bed or else where just in case someone decides to try and break in. Where and what are they? Do you have them in more then just the bedroom?

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lisa said:
So how many people here have hidden weapons in the night stand, under the bed or else where just in case someone decides to try and break in. Where and what are they? Do you have them in more then just the bedroom?

I have hidden weapons throughout the house-3 loaded firearms, and other things, all within relatively easy reach. If I didn't tell you, you wouldn't know-and odds are you wouldn't find them.

If I told you, well, they wouldnt be hidden, would they?

Think..."garbage can," though...

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lisa said:

Do the swords on my bedroom wall gun rack count?

Or the swords, daggers, and knived on the mantle and hearth of the fire place count?

The basement where other weapons are stored?

The kitchen with the steak knives?

The Hall Closet with the large scale mag light? This is really useful when the lights go out.

The Pool balls and and the billiard sticks in my pool room?

Not sure as most of these would not be considered hidden. ;) :D :p

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I purposely do not go about hiding weapons for self defense. I can't explain it well, but I don't feel like I need it/them if someone were to break in. They are there, if I need them, but anything can be a weapon. The biggest weapon in the home is the element of surprise, of which everyone has. The criminal does not have the advantage.

Don't get me wrong, I have guns in the house and right at this moment, there is a loaded .45ACP on my night stand. But I don't feel compelled to have to get to it, if someone breaks in. Another words, my first thought isn't going to be "where's my gun?" I will respond however it is necessary to deal with the bad guy. To me it is the same as a toe-to-toe situation, I am not going to jump back into some posture or expose a weapon, giving away my element of surprise. I try to have no favorites, no preferences, and no anticipations/expectations of the bad guy. This way I am free to respond as the situation unfolds.

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
My wife is afraid of firearms, and I have teenagers, so we have no guns.
Our bedrooms are all on the upper floor, accessible only by an "L" shaped stairway. We have an alarm system, and I have insurance, so intruders at night can have whatever they please downstairs. In my nightstand, I keep a
large can of Bear Spray, which is industrial strength pepper spray that will stop a charging bear, and shoots a shotgun-like pattern up to about 30 feet.
It looks like a can of "Yard-Guard". If our alarm goes off, or I am aware of an intruder downstairs, I can grab the can and in about 3-5 seconds, assume a prone position at the top of the stairs where I can see anyone coming up, but they can't see me.
When I'm done with them, they won't see anything but tears for awhile, assuming they can even breathe!

I also don't have to worry about accidentally shooting my son when he comes in without warning from college a day earlier than planned.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know that nothing trums a firearm for overall self-defence, but I don't have one at the moment and am reluctant to purchase one while living in an apartment with children above and to the side. However, I have pepper spray near my bed and several "early warning" systems set-up to provide advance warning of an intruder - you have to knock LOUD stuff over to break through a window or come through a door. Plan? Grab my cat and jump out of the window while calling 911.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I used to keep a large Rambo-esque type hunting knife in it's sheath (of course :rolleyes: ) behind my pillow against the wall. It's very sharp and very sturdy. Right now it's in storage and inaccessable.

But of course I am my own best concealed weapon for home defense. :uhyeah:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Numerous blades scattered in various places both hidden and in plain view. This doesn't include the bokken, sais, pocket sticks, or other items as well. Oh and 3 night stick size mag lights around the house, chains, wire, bottles, and at least another dozen improv weapons. 1 way in, and it's easily barricadable. Also, 3 killer cats who will shed on any intruder until they hand over the kibble. LOL

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
Numerous blades scattered in various places both hidden and in plain view. This doesn't include the bokken, sais, pocket sticks, or other items as well. Oh and 3 night stick size mag lights around the house, chains, wire, bottles, and at least another dozen improv weapons. 1 way in, and it's easily barricadable. Also, 3 killer cats who will shed on any intruder until they hand over the kibble. LOL

LoL!! About the same here, with the addition of a few firearms (all in the bedroom) and a couple of kevelar vests. And a beagle that'll lick them raw while the cats shed on them.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hmm, perhaps I should try to adopt one of the feral cats that roam around my neighborhood. I could always post this sign as well....

Attachments

• $beware_of_dog.jpg
    $beware_of_dog.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 175

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh you guys are going to let the cat out of the bag with regards to pets, huh? LOL I have a tenacious Scottish TERROR that would either sink his huge teeth into them or lick them to death, I am not sure which. He thinks he is a real bad *** especially when on the other side of the window! :rofl:

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah well my shitzu would rip all your cats apart. LOL. My Dalmation wouldn't even here you coming anymore, she is completely deaf. :)

We have a few more things around the house then I realise after reading Rich's post. :) I wasn't even considering household items in the mix.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lisa said:
Yeah well my shitzu would rip all your cats apart. LOL. My Dalmation wouldn't even here you coming anymore, she is completely deaf. :)

We have a few more things around the house then I realise after reading Rich's post. :) I wasn't even considering household items in the mix.

If we add in cats, my all black female cat has put fear into some pit bulls before. She just walks up to them and says hi, no fear. If the dog comes at her, she waits and hits them very hard with her Kit-Kat-Do strike of stunning. Many a person has pulled their hands back and rubbed them in aw and pain of her strike.

;)

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MA-Caver said:
Hmm, perhaps I should try to adopt one of the feral cats that roam around my neighborhood. I could always post this sign as well....

Every martial artist should adopt a feral cat and bring it indoors! It will teach them great footwork against sharp weapons.

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
I know that nothing trums a firearm for overall self-defence, but I don't have one at the moment and am reluctant to purchase one while living in an apartment with children above and to the side. However, I have pepper spray near my bed and several "early warning" systems set-up to provide advance warning of an intruder - you have to knock LOUD stuff over to break through a window or come through a door. Plan? Grab my cat and jump out of the window while calling 911.

You can buy "frandgible" bullets. When they hit something they shatter rather than staying whole to help reduce those kinds of situations IE: shoothing thru 2 walls. Not 100% of a solution but a worthy thing to note.

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
I keep one of my sticks beside the bed, and have a 6 foot 6 boyfriend, which I could hide behind ;) , Also have 3 dogs that bark at the slightest noice and if needed im sure I could turn almost anything into a weapon.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
tanto by the bed, various sticks and knives in the BR. lock on the bedroom door. two easy exits from the bedroom.

some guys comes into my house with mischief on his mind, i'm leaving. nothing to protect but my stuff. killing a man for stuff is the same as killing a man for money, to my mind.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A Mossburg shotgun besides the bed..One of the LOUDEST sounds for a person creeping into a darkened room is the chambering of a round..CHA-CHUNK...

Latest Discussions