paranoia

spatulahunter

Green Belt
Reaction score
Anyone in the MAs ever get paraniod that someone is trying to break in or something along that line? Last night i had a little episode, I heard a loud crash from my bedroom that sounded like it was somewhere around my house. I grabbed my knife and proceeded to search my whole house up and down ( i live with my sister and mom and sometimes i worry about them). Im by no means a paranoid freak or anything i just heard something really strange and got freaked out by it especially when i couldnt find anything that could have caused it. Anyone else ever have similiar experiences?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Happens to me. Gawd, am I paranoid? Great! Another problem to address ....

Actually, I don't think you're paranoid for investigating for a possible intruder. I'm a little more relaxed now, actually, because it's usually my cat.

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
For me it would go something like this.
Sleeping...
Hear a crash and wake up.
It's probably my cat knocking something down.
Another crash
Yup with out a doubt he is fighting my sisters cat.
Sigh
Back to sleep.

Now if I hear some on in the house when no one is supposed to be. Then I freak out a bit. This has happend. What was the end result of it
I realize my dad is home from a trip a lot earlier than he was suppoosed to be but was getting in at a strange hour and trying not to wake me up.

cashwo

Green Belt
Reaction score
spatulahunter said:
Anyone in the MAs ever get paraniod that someone is trying to break in or something along that line? Last night i had a little episode, I heard a loud crash from my bedroom that sounded like it was somewhere around my house. I grabbed my knife and proceeded to search my whole house up and down ( i live with my sister and mom and sometimes i worry about them). Im by no means a paranoid freak or anything i just heard something really strange and got freaked out by it especially when i couldnt find anything that could have caused it. Anyone else ever have similiar experiences?
This has happened a couple times to me. I can't wait to buy a house in the country and get away from living in apartments.

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Awareness isn't paranoia.... I will usuually leave the dogs bark, but when the tempo or tone changes in a certain way, esp. at odd hours, it is time for me to go see what is going on. And yes, I was much worse when I lived in the city.

modarnis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yes you were Chad. I remember a stolen car stereo and you having an impromptu sleepout :mp5:

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Your point? There were plenty of other incidents before you joined me in what was then the nation's murder capital.
:idunno:

V

Vadim

It is always good to be aware of what is going on. I would not call it paranoia. In my situation I have three rottweilers who would welcome any intruder that came into my house :deadhorse .

-Vadim

OP
S

spatulahunter

Green Belt
Reaction score
well its good to know that i dont seem crazy, i was pretty freaked out. I guess ill never know what caused the noise

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean someone isn't out to get you.

Cthulhu

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have always been paranoid - or worried about things like that. Noises at night do wake me up. Having a dog, who has a better sense of hearing and smell - and sight, at night - comforts me a little - I know he'll let me know if something is amiss.

I want another dog. Sigh.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've literally done house searches with a gun at the ready. But only twice in twenty years. When in doubt, check it out. You're not paranoid. You're being cautious.

Unless, of course, you suspect it to be government agents trying to tap your phone or aliens trying to abduct you.

But both times I chased them off with my gun...so it worked out okay.

Regards,

Steve

OP
S

spatulahunter

Green Belt
Reaction score
hardheadjarhead said:
Unless, of course, you suspect it to be government agents trying to tap your phone or aliens trying to abduct you.

Steve

now im really freaked out how did you know that govt aliens were trying to do that...........do you also know about the rabbit that tells me to burn things?!?!?!? :erg: :erg:

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Check out branches that have grown too long over the summer, and are banging against your roof or walls now the weather is turning.

But once you've discounted pets, trees, govt. aliens, blue ice, earthquakes and family coming in late and drunk, you may be being burgled. Check it out cautiously. Otherwise it's just a poltergeist. Who you gonna call....?

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Environmental Awareness.. 2nd EPAK Preparatory Consideration.

Absolutely not paranoid :)

Seig and I live in a very volatile neighborhood..our Alarms are a black lab and pit bull who bark at every sound outside.. we've had some experiences that have provoked him to grab the handgun and go investigate.. usually just a drunk stumbling around.. but there's been a few actual moments where it was warranted..

Nothing invokes fear more than a threat to our homes where our loved ones and of course our SELF should feel safe and secure.. Being aware of the normal daily sounds, movements of neighbors, sounds of nature etc.. becomes 2nd nature.. it's when things are out of balance and the good ole Fight or Flight turns on.. And our training may have to be implemented. It's all good :)

~Tess

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I tend to be more paranoid than I thought, I guess. I keep the doors locked at all times - whether I'm home or not. My 11 year old daughter must walk around the corner to get to her bus stop and I walk her part of the way there - until we're about 400 feet from the stop and I can see her get to the group of kids and I usually hang around until the bus gets her. No other parent I know does this.

In Oregon, last year, you might have heard of Ashley Pond and Miranda Gaddis - they are two young girls who were killed by someone they both knew while waiting for the bus at their school bus stop (the guy lived right by the stop).

Anyway, I asked her if it bothered her that I walk her she said no, not usually. Well, lo and behold the news just put on two days ago that on Thanksgiving night aroung 7:00 pm an attempted rape occured - right around the corner.

As soon as I think I'm paranoid, I hear something like this that hits close to home and I suddenly just don't feel paranoid anymore.

tongsau

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
There's a word for people who think everyone is conspiring against them - perceptive! - Woody Allen, Curse of the Jade Scorpion

K

Knifehand

In my room, i have 1 katana, 1 Tonto, a Broadsword, and a very sharp decorative dagger with four spiny tips. Hack'un Slash'um Stab him in the eye type deal. Couple of side hand strikes and a palm heel to the nose will put him down at least. If not... there is a lot of junk to throw. I'm bound to hit something important.

Anyways... i have scouted my house for El Chupacabra or some intruder more than once. I mean, come on... i live on the outskirts of Flint Michigan.... There was a murder less than a mile from my house... and a shoot out down the street (in flint).

Gray Phoenix

Green Belt
Reaction score
There have been times when I have over reacted and there have been times when I should have reacted. I regret both. However, keeping myself aware of my surroundings and learning to highten my sense of awareness is helping to remedy the situation. I am learning to "trust my gut".

I once saw a woman getting beaten by someone. I think it was a husband or boyfriend, but whatever it was I was just a boy and couldnt do anything. My parents refused to get involved, much to my dismay.

I have been chased by bullys and gangs and have been beaten by both.
Paranoia is a term reserved for those who know but cant control themselves.
Wary is a term for those who know what can and will happen in due time.
Dead is a term for those who choose to ignore the obvious.

Take care of yourselves. My experience tells me that no one else will.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Knifehand said:
In my room, i have 1 katana, 1 Tonto, a Broadsword, and a very sharp decorative dagger with four spiny tips. Hack'un Slash'um Stab him in the eye type deal. Couple of side hand strikes and a palm heel to the nose will put him down at least. If not... there is a lot of junk to throw. I'm bound to hit something important.

Anyways... i have scouted my house for El Chupacabra or some intruder more than once. I mean, come on... i live on the outskirts of Flint Michigan.... There was a murder less than a mile from my house... and a shoot out down the street (in flint).
Nice, but it doesn't win the paranoia award. I sleep with a 12 gauge pump shotgun under my side of the bed, a Colt M4 carbine on the dresser and Ak47 in the corner (not to mention the other assorted firearms in gun safe). People think i'm a bit extreme. It's not that I actually think i'm going to get attacked in my home, but if I do, it'll be a full scale war. Of course i've had dozens of felons tell me that they are going to pay me a visit when they get out of jail. I always tell them not to bring any help they care too much about, because i'm going to bury all of them in my backyard. Paranoia is just extreme vigilance. Every time I walk out of my house I prepare myself mentally for "what if". I don't walk in fear, I just walk in preparation, always aware of the weight of the Glock .40 on my hip. Like the Dog Brothers say "Walk as a warrior all the days of your life".

Latest Discussions