Hey, I'm a white belt again!

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So, one of my physics students invites me to his BJJ class tonight and I say what the hell and go. I had a lot of fun and I think I'm going to stick with it, especially since its so close to my home...less then five minutes. We did lots of drills that were familiar from my judo days and some drills that were completely new. All in all, I think that everything went great! I got to roll with my student and I think I surprised him when I subbed him a couple of times right off the bat. He's a blue belt and he was going easy at first, but eventually he took my back and gave me a good choke.

Heh, now he can go to school tomorrow and say he choked his teacher!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Cool!
icon6.gif

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome! Glad you had a good time!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good! I highly recommend two years of study of BJJ to anyone. It's hard and tiring and will have you feeling like a beginner for a while, but it's a heck of an eye-opener. Good luck!

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The only problem is that it's expensive. It's the rage and they are charging easily twice as much a typically judo class. The club that I'm going has a great kids program and I'd like to get the family involved, but at 90 bucks a pop that will get expensive quick.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
First you get stuck in Hawaii, then you find yourself in a BJJ class. Can things get any worse for you? I'll keep you in my thoughts and hope things start to improve!

:p

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One idea would be to quit my Y membership and then just use BJJ for my workouts, but I think that I would miss lifting weights. I don't know.

I really liked it though. The atmosphere is cool. I've dubbed it grappling with Aloha. In MN, most BJJ or Judo schools are pretty laid back, but things work pretty mechanistically, everyone grapples and rotates on a regular basis.

Out here, people were just layin' on the mat and others were circling around and you just jumped in with whoever after a quick shaka. When someone got tired, they just jumped up and someone jumped down from the circling pack.

It was cool, but kinda weird.

Latest Discussions