Hey guys

mysurvive

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

My name is Ricky and I'm relatively new to martial arts. Today I will be sitting in on my first Wing Chun class (that I think I will take as my art). I know a lot of people may tell me to look around and dabble in other arts, so let me give you some reasoning in why I think this will end up being my art.

I have dabbled in various arts such as Judo, Karate, and Muay Thai (the others I have so little experience in that it isn't worth listing). I never committed to any of these, but I have experienced them. Been beat up using all of them also, so I know they're all viable arts. My family does Judo, Ju Jitsu, Karate, and Tai Chi. I didn't want to do any of these, because I want an art that I can call my own and possibly even introduce my family to a new art. I also didn't want to get caught up in the MMA/Muay Thai/BJJ craze (no offense to anyone that takes MMA classes, it just isn't for me). I wanted a striking art that didn't rely too heavily on grappling and had a technical side. I posted in the 'beginner section' and one of the members suggested that I speak to a certain Sifu about Win Chun and Kenpo. The Sifu then referred me to the school that he is actually learning Wing Chun at, since he is not actually a teacher of Wing Chun.

I can get obsessive about things sometimes, so I have been constantly researching Wing Chun, and I feel like this is exactly what I have been looking for.

So now that you have my small background, my questions.

Why did you choose Wing Chun?
What kept you coming back?
What do you enjoy most about Wing Chun?
What has been the most valuable lesson you have learned from Wing Chun?
Have you even had to use the techniques in real world application?
-If so, what was the result?
What do you plan to do 10,20,50 years down the line (with regards to WC)?
What advice would you give to a newbie?

Swifty20

White Belt
Reaction score
1. Why did you choose Wing Chun?
2. What kept you coming back?
3. What do you enjoy most about Wing Chun?
4. What has been the most valuable lesson you have learned from Wing Chun?
5. Have you even had to use the techniques in real world application?
5a. -If so, what was the result?
6. What do you plan to do 10,20,50 years down the line (with regards to WC)?
7. What advice would you give to a newbie?

I never actually introduced myself formally to this forum, so this seems as good a venue as any.

1. I've studied other martial arts in the past, some for a pretty long time. But in being honest with myself and trying to remove my ego from the equation (no one wants to think they've spent a long time learning stuff that doesn't work), I had to admit to myself that I didn't think what I had learned was going to help me with real world self-defense. I developed discipline, physical coordination, got a good workout, became more flexible, had some fun, and a bunch of other things studying other martial arts. But as far as truly learning self-defense, I wasn't convinced that I learned anything worth betting my life on.

The Ip Man movies made me aware that Wing Chun existed, then I did some research in my area for Wing Chun, along with Jeet Kune Do and Krav Maga (other arts that are supposed to be real world applicable). Took trial lessons at a few places. Visited my current WC school and knew after my first lesson that I'd found the school for me.

2. My current school is just heads and shoulders over my past experiences. Sifu is able to explain the why behind everything and then I test things to make sure they hold true to what he says. I have zero interest in being fed fantasy nonsense anymore, so if he were teaching me material that wouldn't work, I'd have stopped going.

It's also quite a lot of hard work, which I enjoy the fact that he doesn't coddle his students in an attempt to cater to those who leave because they don't want to really work at something.

3. It's a good workout, it helps me deal with stress and overall be a much calmer person (although I've already always been slow to anger), I get to study something really academically interesting, and I'm learning street self-defense.

4. The most valuable thing is actually not the fighting, but how to let anything that could ignite me (like a co-worker being a dick) just roll right off me and not ruin my day.

5. Never been in an actual attack (I take the ideas of avoidance and de-escalation quite seriously). I have absorbed the concepts like understanding body structure and not using energy needlessly to heart though. When doing heavy lifting and such now, I seem to exert A LOT LESS energy than I used to. People will be huffing and puffing and I'll still be fine and sometimes not even sweating.

5a. The result is me learning to not waste energy when it's not necessary.

6. No idea. I'd like to think I'll still be practicing it, but who knows?

7. Like with any martial art, be wary of judging an art based on one bad experience. I'm sure there's plenty of great martial artists in the other arts I tried, but I did not personally experience them. I was lucky to find a great WC teacher. If your experience with your new school ends up not being great, don't just assume that Wing Chun sucks, just as I won't say all of Art A or Art B sucks just because my experience with those arts did not teach me anything useful for real world self-defense.

Oh, and be ready to work. HARD. In fact, if you find that your school isn't testing you and it doesn't seem so hard, it's quite possible you haven't found a Wing Chun school worth going to.

StormShadow

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

My name is Ricky and I'm relatively new to martial arts. Today I will be sitting in on my first Wing Chun class (that I think I will take as my art). I know a lot of people may tell me to look around and dabble in other arts, so let me give you some reasoning in why I think this will end up being my art.

I have dabbled in various arts such as Judo, Karate, and Muay Thai (the others I have so little experience in that it isn't worth listing). I never committed to any of these, but I have experienced them. Been beat up using all of them also, so I know they're all viable arts. My family does Judo, Ju Jitsu, Karate, and Tai Chi. I didn't want to do any of these, because I want an art that I can call my own and possibly even introduce my family to a new art. I also didn't want to get caught up in the MMA/Muay Thai/BJJ craze (no offense to anyone that takes MMA classes, it just isn't for me). I wanted a striking art that didn't rely too heavily on grappling and had a technical side. I posted in the 'beginner section' and one of the members suggested that I speak to a certain Sifu about Win Chun and Kenpo. The Sifu then referred me to the school that he is actually learning Wing Chun at, since he is not actually a teacher of Wing Chun.

I can get obsessive about things sometimes, so I have been constantly researching Wing Chun, and I feel like this is exactly what I have been looking for.

So now that you have my small background, my questions.

Congrats on your first class.

I choose wing chun because I believe simplicity is the best means to an end. I'm not saying wing chun is simplistic by any means but in terms of finding the quickest, most effective path to your target & number of forms, kicks ects to become infused in muscle memory. I don't have a extensive background in martial arts besides taking the jdk system for a few months as a young boy. I wish I would've taken wing chun before jdk, it would've made more sense to me.

I am also new to wing chun, I've only been taking lessons for a month. Although, I do practice alot given my schedule and alot for me is 2-4 hours m-f and about 4- 6 hours total over the weekend if I can.

I honestly enjoy the forms. Practicing the forms (sil lum tao) for instances places my mind at ease and it is therapeutic. My sifu broke the sil lum tao form down into nine sections I believe in which we have only learned 3 sections so far.

The most valuable lesson for me so far has been taking control of your life, how no style is superior but it's the artist that matters. I know that's probably been beaten like a dead horse but it is true. I am also young in my wing chun journey so I'm sure more lessons will apply as I learn.

Maybe I shouldn't be answering these questions as it seems to be for wing chun practioners with more experience lol. But, I've never had to use what I've learned so far and honestly hope I never have too.

I want to go to china, to get a grasp of where wing chun descended, view how's it's taught in its home country and learn more about it.

Being pretty much a newbie my self, I would say right now just train to perfect your form with smooth movements. Don't go for speed early on as you will wind up cheating your form. The speed, power will come through correct body mechanics, footwork, form and understanding. I am no master obviously but just my $.2.

chinaboxer

Green Belt
Reaction score
Why did you choose Wing Chun? because i didn't want to study a martial art that i would eventually have to let go of, wing chun has no shelf life.
What kept you coming back? because it is a thinking person's martial art.
What do you enjoy most about Wing Chun? you can do it until you are in your grave at a very high level.
What has been the most valuable lesson you have learned from Wing Chun? how to handle pressure in the ring and in your life
Have you even had to use the techniques in real world application? yes
-If so, what was the result? result was that i didnt get severely hurt, just some minor scrapes, it was three against me while i was taking a piss..haha..the good ol days.
What do you plan to do 10,20,50 years down the line (with regards to WC)? try to inspire the next generation to continue to improve the method.
take your time, only go as fast as you can maintain perfect form, 99% correct movement is 100% wrong, seek perfection and enjoy the journey!

almost a ghost

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I had a background in a Kempo system that a ton of forms and techniques, so much in fact that most students really didn't comprehend how to use the material effectively. It was technique after technique and form after form. Also is was a gross mess of other systems it took from. After I quit I knew the next system that I would study would be Chinese and a complete system on it's own from A-to-Z with a smaller curriculum because I wanted to be able to apply what I learned in a real life situation, no more sterile one-punch defenses for me.

I had heard about Jeet Kune Do from one of the guys I did Kempo with and a chance run in with a Wing Chun guy who showed me bits and pieces. This Wing Chun guy even ran into my Kempo instructor and they are spared. What peaked up interests more was how determined my Kempo instructor was to show him how good Kempo was based only on the fact that the guy did Wing Chun.

I started researching Jeet Kune Do and almost every article and website kept on referencing Wing Chun. I decided to cut the middle man (in this case JKD) and just get the unfiltered Wing Chun.

During my first class my brain melted.

It works.

Be simple and direct.

Yes.

I walked away, and he eventually limped back to his car.

What I find more important than the result was me before and during the situation. Before when I did Kempo and I had some random guy starting something with me I would just freeze because I was overly worried about what kind of punch he would throw and what technique I would use. Luckily for me it never came to blows and we would both walk away. Looking back I now realize I would of had my *** handed to me if he came in with a flurry of punches.

After doing WC for a little over a year I found myself in a situation where I had to protect a friend from an attacker. When I went to intervene I was calm, I was relaxed. All I knew was that if he moves then I move. What he was going to throw made no difference, I was going to stay on my lines and attack his center.

Hopefully teach.

Relax and have fun. Don't over think what you are doing, because that's when you will get into trouble with learning. Above all else, ask a lot of questions about the technical aspects.

OP
M

mysurvive

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So, I just got back from my first class...

wow.

This is everything I hoped for. Sifu seems incredibly knowledgeable and eager to teach. He explained some theoretical concepts and why other martial arts don't necessarily work in real world application, whereas wing chun does. Honestly, he gave me so much information in the short 2 hours I was there that, as almost a ghost said, my brain melted. I also learned the basic step and block/punch (I can't remember what it was called, give me a break). The workout was intense though, especially as a fat kid that hasn't worked out in quite some time. I really, really enjoyed myself.

I'll be paying my dues next Friday and start going regularly. I couldn't be more excited.

StormShadow

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So, I just got back from my first class...

wow.

This is everything I hoped for. Sifu seems incredibly knowledgeable and eager to teach. He explained some theoretical concepts and why other martial arts don't necessarily work in real world application, whereas wing chun does. Honestly, he gave me so much information in the short 2 hours I was there that, as almost a ghost said, my brain melted. I also learned the basic step and block/punch (I can't remember what it was called, give me a break). The workout was intense though, especially as a fat kid that hasn't worked out in quite some time. I really, really enjoyed myself.

I'll be paying my dues next Friday and start going regularly. I couldn't be more excited.

Being a father in his 30's, I've put on a couple lbs myself. I found that the extra weight definitely affects my stability when kicking. Though I've also found that I am losing those lbs rapidly by eating healthier and training diligently. Training is a work out. You will see results as you learn and train.

VT_Vectis

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hey, glad you enjoyed the first class! I'm a beginner myself, but was hooked from that first lesson onwards. It really is intriguing, isn't it? Good luck and stick with it, as I plan on doing.

Snowy

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi!

I went with wing chun after nearly getting into an situation where I could have ended up in hospital. Nothing happened in the end. It made me realize I needed to learn some form of self defense. I went on to 'spar' my cousin, who had a year of wing chun under his belt whilst I had zero martial arts experience. I was stronger, older, more aggressive etc, but I could not even TOUCH him. Eventually I went for a double leg take down (instinctively) out of frustration and took a controlled knee to the head. That was when I was impressed and joined up at the school.

The system impressed me. The quality of the teaching, the power of the punches that I felt from the sihings etc. The first week in, I was double palm striked half way across the room off my feet. So much power in little movements.

I enjoy how awesome it feels to be able to generate power internally and explode externally with wing chun.

To be calm and relaxed no matter the situation.

Never had to use it in a real world scenario. I think learning WC has made my general demeanor more confident and unlikely to bump heads with the general retards on the street.

I would like to be the best that I can in regards to my own wing chun, and eventually honor my sifu/sigung and instructors in the passing on of the wing chun system.

Centreline, Centreline, Centreline. Always take the centreline when coming into contact with any attack. As you advance you'll realize what that actually means.
Also, work on structure/stance. It is the engine that powers EVERYTHING that you will be doing in wing chun. I have heard it said that doing Siu Lim Tao is the best return for your time, so once you can do it properly just spam it out everyday till you're sick of it.

Latest Discussions