What other kinds of training do you engage in?

snoack

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Aside from MA, what do you guys do to stay fit and strong?

I'm an AVID weight lifter and believe very strongly in the philosophy that strength= quickness. I'm also a big time cardio junkie, do 2 miles a day on my treadmill at a fast paced walk on an incline (I HATE to run, only do it when I have to)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aside from MA, what do you guys do to stay fit and strong?

I'm an AVID weight lifter and believe very strongly in the philosophy that strength= quickness. I'm also a big time cardio junkie, do 2 miles a day on my treadmill at a fast paced walk on an incline (I HATE to run, only do it when I have to)

Lift weights. I try to get a workout in at least 3 times a week. For cardio I have a treadmill that I use. Like you, I'm not a huge fan of running, but do it from time to time. If not on the treadmill, I'll walk outside. Having a dog also gives me the motivation to get outside as well. :)

Mike

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Try to lift wieght at least twice a week, also do alot of bike riding better on the knee's. I have also started doing visual exorcises with my son's and yes that means playing video games that WII thing can give you a great workout.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
we lift weights after class and I am about to get back to running I hope... ( weather in winter precluded it for that time .. hard to run in show and ice!!)

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do a little weightlifting including a fair amount of time specifically working grip-strength (which I think is an underemphasised area for most people). I also, just recently (last month or so), started playing with kettlebells. So far I'm really enjoying working with those. I need to do more running but I just hurt my knee so it'll be a while before I can do much in that area.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I got to the gym 3 times a week where I do 15 minutes of warm up cardio on the elliptical trainer followed by 45 minutes of heavy weight training. It's been a real life saver after my knee injury (gotta love swuats!).

I'm also doing some intense cardio as well 6 days a week through the beginning of July. My daughter wants to go to the TKD junior olympics. The comp team does this workout called FIRE (Fierce Intensity Renders Excellence). It's designed to make sure they are strong and fit and able to go lots ofd rounds without running out of gas. All the compt teams kids do it regardless if they are going to national or not. This year, my daughter pointed out as a coach I am a member of the team and should do it as wello.

It's killing me, but my cardio is much imprived even after a week. Hopefully I will actualyl see part of my six pack before this is all over (I'd settle for a two pack :) )

Peace,
Erik

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Pretty much what everyone else is doing—weights (high-intensity type program based on free weights in a power rack) and cardio (intervals). Another thing I've discovered—very unexpected—is badminton: a terrific cardio workout. The game involves much quicker movements than tennis requires, but those movements are large muscle movements (unlike table tennis, where a lot of the movements, in backhand-pushing phases of the volley that you need to go through to set up a forehand hit, are very short strokes). So you can get, in an hour of continuous play, a ferocious interval-type workout.

Something I've done intermittently is toss a ping-pong ball with one hand and try to snatch it out of the air on the way down with the other hand, just as a test of, and challenge to, my eye/hand coordination+reflexes, and similar tasks. Over time, you do get better, just as with balance training in MAs—there's a neurological baseline for those abilities, but they can indeed be improved with practice, I've found (just as all the kids' science museum display on reaction time keep telling you...) I figure there's probably some carryover to other contexts where hand/eye coordination is involved, such as MAs...

Jai

Black Belt
Reaction score
I swim and do light weights, now that the weather is nicer I can start walking again. Running is a no no for me still which doesn't bother me all that much.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Basicly I work out 5 to 6 days a week. Some is TKD, some SBD, some weights and running (LSD... no not THAT LSD!) I do this very efficently. Right after work go to World Gym. Do the gym part. Go home to wife and have a good dinner. If it's TKD or SBD night, no gym.

I also train in IDPA (but that's more of skill than strength.) Gun handling exercises at least once a week. Range at least once a week (reload buds, with the cost of ammo, reloading is the way.)

My wife thinks I'm a nut... but in a good way.

Deaf

Journeyman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Primarily bicycling. I ride about 120 miles/week except in the winter. I use an elliptical trainer and stationary bike in the winter, usually sessions of about an hour every other day. I also do light weights, including body weight exercises, year round.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
SCA heavy fighting and bicycling and running ..

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I run 3-4 times a week. Currently doing 5mi, will move up to 8mi next week. Hoping to run my first marathon this year.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Kettlebells and running for me. (Not at the same time .)

Actually, that's something I'd like to see! LOL! ...And about the boxer without a head--I guess you'd have to use body shots against him.

As far as my training-- jogging up and down a steep hill in the local mountain park twice a week, dumbells and body-weight exercises twice a week, a couple of timed rounds with sticks on the tire-stack twice a week and --get this-- throwing large pots on the wheel. Laugh if you will, but you want to train strength, fluidity and control--try centering and throwing 25 # of clay efficiently! And do it standing. The guy who taught me this is not a martial artist, but he certainly knows gung-fu in the original sense of the term.

Latest Discussions