Help me choose a self defense walking cane

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Quickness and agility is more important when engaged in weapons sparring where you must move in, score and evade a counterstrike. For self defense, I'd personally sacrifice a little speed and agility for solid, knock-'em-down power. You don't want to smack somebody with a stick and do nothing other than really tick them off. Been there, done that, and it really sucked.
Tell me what happened, what kind of stick you used and how heavy was that?

I know better not to use those 7/8" escrima sticks, they are only about 6oz, that's too light to have stopping power. Those are just good for doing fancy moves, twirling to show off. I have no interest in doing those. I basically practice only 4 strikes, 45deg slashing down from left and right, sweeping the feet left and right. That's it for the striking with a cane. I just practicing with footwork. Nothing fancy, just to the point.The footwork in the video of the stick fight I posted in post #78 is really amazing and they kept the striking so simple.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Tell me what happened, what kind of stick you used and how heavy was that?

I know better not to use those 7/8" escrima sticks, they are only about 6oz, that's too light to have stopping power. Those are just good for doing fancy moves, twirling to show off. I have no interest in doing those. I basically practice only 4 strikes, 45deg slashing down from left and right, sweeping the feet left and right. That's it for the striking with a cane. I just practicing with footwork. Nothing fancy, just to the point.The footwork in the video of the stick fight I posted in post #78 is really amazing and they kept the striking so simple.
Short, stupid story from a long time ago. I was around 21 years old and recovering from a broken leg in a short plaster "walking cast". I was at a point in healing where I could basically hobble along with just a little assistance from a cheap drugstore cane. I got into a row with a big guy and ended up hitting him hard with the cane. He turned and took the strike across his shoulders ....and my piece-of-crap cane snapped into three pieces, leaving me looking like an idiot, holding just the crook and a foot-long stump of wood ....while facing a large and now very angry man.

If not for the timely intercession of bystanders, I believe my broken leg would have been the least of my injuries that year!

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hi Geezer

Glad you are ok. That's the reason I try so hard to stay with Rattan cane instead of wood cane. I just buy the biggest one ( 1.1" diameter) with skin(huge difference) that is 12oz instead of the smaller lighter ones. I bought a wood cane first, it lasted about a minute before it cracked into two pieces when I hit the heavy bag.

Now that I am slightly stronger from practicing, I am moving to synthetic cane that is heavier and a lot stronger. I stay away from wood cane at all cost.

I don't why people in this thread kept saying wood cane is heavier and better. Yesterday, I bought a 7/8" wood dowel, I still can cut a 28" piece as escrima stick after I used part of it for something else. I weight the stick, it's 6oz, not at all heavier than the rattan with skin. It's a little stiffer than rattan, but if compare to my 1.1" big rattan with skin, the rattan still is stiffer. I don't know why people here are so against rattan, not all rattan are the same. I notice majority of the rattan escrima stick sold are like 7/8", people must be getting those so they can do fancy twirling for show. Those don't have stopping power. I don't think people can joke about being hit by a 1.1" rattan cane with skin. If you look at the picture in post #78 of my 3 canes, 1) is the 1.1" rattan, 3) is the synthetic cane that is 1" diameter. Look at the size difference of the stick by just 0.1" difference. I won't even trust rattan that is 1" diameter.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I don't why people in this thread kept saying wood cane is heavier and better. Yesterday, I bought a 7/8" wood dowel, I still can cut a 28" piece as escrima stick after I used part of it for something else. I weight the stick, it's 6oz, not at all heavier than the rattan with skin. It's a little stiffer than rattan, but if compare to my 1.1" big rattan with skin, the rattan still is stiffer. I don't know why people here are so against rattan, not all rattan are the same. I notice majority of the rattan escrima stick sold are like 7/8", people must be getting those so they can do fancy twirling for show. Those don't have stopping power. I don't think people can joke about being hit by a 1.1" rattan cane with skin. If you look at the picture in post #78 of my 3 canes, 1) is the 1.1" rattan, 3) is the synthetic cane that is 1" diameter. Look at the size difference of the stick by just 0.1" difference. I won't even trust rattan that is 1" diameter.

I do full contact low armor stick fighting with rattan fairly regularly, my standard fighting stick is 31"x1" and they weight about 11 ounces. I can TKO a person through a fencing mask with them so I am not saying you couldn't hurt someone with it, but the reason we use rattan is that is a great material for not breaking people. Self-defense tools, particularly impact weapons should break people IMO, I would go with hickory.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I do full contact low armor stick fighting with rattan fairly regularly, my standard fighting stick is 31"x1" and they weight about 11 ounces. I can TKO a person through a fencing mask with them so I am not saying you couldn't hurt someone with it, but the reason we use rattan is that is a great material for not breaking people. Self-defense tools, particularly impact weapons should break people IMO, I would go with hickory.
I am carrying the Cold Steel City Stick with me all the time now. I am getting stronger, so I am starting to use a heavier stick. It is fiber glass, very strong. I got rid of the heavy aluminum head of the City Stick and put in a small wooden handle. It's still 13.5oz.

That said, the rattan cane I have is 1.1" thick, very different from 1" even though it sounds small difference. Does your rattan have skin? Big difference if it is without skin. They are out of stock right now, if they have one that is bigger than 1.1" and weight heavier than what I have so it would be like 12 to 13oz when cut to fit me, I might still consider getting it.

I don't like wood because they break. I bought a wood cane from Amazon, it lasted only 1 minute before it cracked to two when I hit the heavy bag. If I want heavier cane, I go with synthetic. I have picture of my 3 canes in post #78 in page 4 of this thread.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am carrying the Cold Steel City Stick with me all the time now. I am getting stronger, so I am starting to use a heavier stick. It is fiber glass, very strong. I got rid of the heavy aluminum head of the City Stick and put in a small wooden handle. It's still 13.5oz.

That said, the rattan cane I have is 1.1" thick, very different from 1" even though it sounds small difference. Does your rattan have skin? Big difference if it is without skin. They are out of stock right now, if they have one that is bigger than 1.1" and weight heavier than what I have so it would be like 12 to 13oz when cut to fit me, I might still consider getting it.

I don't like wood because they break. I bought a wood cane from Amazon, it lasted only 1 minute before it cracked to two when I hit the heavy bag. If I want heavier cane, I go with synthetic. I have picture of my 3 canes in post #78 in page 4 of this thread.
Go with what you are comfortable with. Cheap wood will break. I spent more and got a decent heavy hickory cane from Purpleheart, but it was poorly finished for the price, and I waited forever to receive it. And then it didn't have straight grain as I had specifically requested. Even so it has held up on the bag so far.

Just remember, self defense is ultimately about you, not what kind of stick you are holding.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Go with what you are comfortable with. Cheap wood will break. I spent more and got a decent heavy hickory cane from Purpleheart, but it was poorly finished for the price, and I waited forever to receive it. And then it didn't have straight grain as I had specifically requested. Even so it has held up on the bag so far.

Just remember, self defense is ultimately about you, not what kind of stick you are holding.
How heavier is the Hickory cane? I want to get some idea.

So it survive the heavy bag?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How heavier is the Hickory cane? I want to get some idea.

So it survive the heavy bag?
I dunno what it weighs. Heavier than rattan or softwoods like pine and fir. Lighter than heavy hardwoods like ironwood, kamagong, or bahi. But kamagong and ironwood break. The hickory one also lighter and a little wider than this cheap poly cane:

1622938142551.png

A couple of years back, I also bought one of these for about $50, cut it down to my proper length, and trimmed off the stupid spike on the crook sanding it into a rounded, blunt end so it isn't so bloody obvious as "a weapon". Canes should be ...discreet, so you can carry them anywhere without attracting attention.

In short, this thing won't break, but it's narrow and doesn't feel as good in your hand, or as balanced when you swing it, so I like the hickory one better ...even with the messed up grain.

But don't worry about all that. Like I said, don't think you have to have the perfect weapon, because you never will. It's just a stick. You are the weapon, and it's up to you to take care of yourself!

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I dunno what it weighs. Heavier than rattan or softwoods like pine and fir. Lighter than heavy hardwoods like ironwood, kamagong, or bahi. But kamagong and ironwood break. The hickory one also lighter and a little wider than this cheap poly cane:

View attachment 26879
A couple of years back, I also bought one of these for about $50, cut it down to my proper length, and trimmed off the stupid spike on the crook sanding it into a rounded, blunt end so it isn't so bloody obvious as "a weapon". Canes should be ...discreet, so you can carry them anywhere without attracting attention.

In short, this thing won't break, but it's narrow and doesn't feel as good in your hand, or as balanced when you swing it, so I like the hickory one better ...even with the messed up grain.

But don't worry about all that. Like I said, don't think you have to have the perfect weapon, because you never will. It's just a stick. You are the weapon, and it's up to you to take care of yourself!
I have 3 of this Night Watchman, this is the 17oz cane I am talking about after cutting to the right length, cut away the pointed hook
3 Night Watchman.jpg

The left one is rubber foam covered for hitting the bag. I have to protect the bag. The middle one is the finished one, I put the foam rubber tubing on the handle and where I grip. Yes, it's uncomfortable to grip and swing without the foam. It makes a day and night difference to swing.

This is the foam rubber tubing I bought, you should buy this and put it on, it really really make a difference:
Amazon.com : Yolispa Foam Bike Handlebar Grips Cover Stretchable Flexible Cuttable Sponge Pack of 2Pcs for Touring Butterfly Bicycle Handle 19.7x0.9x1.2 : Sports & Outdoors

I am still experimenting how to stick it in place as it will move after you swing it for a while. I'll let you know how I fix it after I find a way.

I am getting stronger, the rattan canes are getting too light, I am moving up to 13.5oz. I hope I can get strong enough to use this Night Watchman.

BTW, I drilled a 3/8" diameter hole 6" deep into the straight end of the Night Watchman to reduce the weight. It should not compromise the structural integrity. I have been beating the 100lbs heavy bag with the one on the left for a while and it's good. The only concern is this cane might be a little too deadly.

I just bought the third one (right) as back up for the middle one. I am still waiting for the foam tubing to arrive. I yet to drill the deep hole to reduce weight. It's a little tricky to drill the hole as it has to be true to the stick. You don't want to drill slanted, it will weaken the stick. It's quite a process, have to adjust to level, then level the drill bit. I have to draw white lines along the stick for reference to keep the drill bit true.
White line.jpg

I am sure this one is stronger than the hickory stick. Which one is heavier?

Last edited:
OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Last edited:

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score

Yes mine has skin on. I don't use them because I think they are too heavy for me, but some of the fighters use 31x1.1 sticks, that gets to be some hefty sticks, and it sucks to be hit by them but they aren't magic. I assume you are getting this cane from bloodsport.com? That is the same place where I get my fighting sticks from. If these are the same sticks I will say that they don't look like a standard cane, the curve is too big, it just won't be an incognito weapon. Attaching pics of two of my friends fighting, Josh has the cane, Josh is 240ish for scale.

Attachments

• josh jason cane stick.jpg
    josh jason cane stick.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes mine has skin on. I don't use them because I think they are too heavy for me, but some of the fighters use 31x1.1 sticks, that gets to be some hefty sticks, and it sucks to be hit by them but they aren't magic. I assume you are getting this cane from bloodsport.com? That is the same place where I get my fighting sticks from. If these are the same sticks I will say that they don't look like a standard cane, the curve is too big, it just won't be an incognito weapon. Attaching pics of two of my friends fighting, Josh has the cane, Josh is 240ish for scale.
Yes, it's the same place, Their cane is a lot heavier than the other rattan canes. It's the heaviest I can find. Here are two pictures, first is the canes when I first received them. The second is after I cut off the hook, stained them dark brown. They look quite innocent to me after I did the transformation.
Cane 2 low.jpg

This is my 3 after transformation, 3 different lengths. Look inconspicuous .
3sticks.jpg

They are about 11oz, it's getting a little light for me. They are out, when they have new stock, I would ask for an even heavier ones. I hope to get one about 12 to 13oz after trimming. They must be about 1 1/8" with that kind of weight. That's huge. But see, I use it for self defense, I don't do twirling and all the fancy moves that require sticks that are lighter.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Yes, it's the same place, Their cane is a lot heavier than the other rattan canes. It's the heaviest I can find. Here are two pictures, first is the canes when I first received them. The second is after I cut off the hook, stained them dark brown. They look quite innocent to me after I did the transformation.

This is my 3 after transformation, 3 different lengths. Look inconspicuous .

They are about 11oz, it's getting a little light for me. They are out, when they have new stock, I would ask for an even heavier ones. I hope to get one about 12 to 13oz after trimming. They must be about 1 1/8" with that kind of weight. That's huge. But see, I use it for self defense, I don't do twirling and all the fancy moves that require sticks that are lighter.

Those do look a lot better, nice job!

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Those do look a lot better, nice job!
Thanks

I am glad to hear that this heavy rattan can hit very hard also. I kept hearing people said rattan cannot hit hard, that's why it's used for practice only. Not all rattan cane are the same, most are skinless and 7/8" only, they weight about 6oz. Of cause you don't expect stopping power from those. People have to judge by the size and whether it has skin or not.

I would put my bet on the 1.1" rattan cane with skin over a 7/8" hickory cane.

Those heavy rattan canes are not cheap. It's like $50 each including tax and shipping. I hope I can find one that is 12 to 13oz after trimming, that should be plenty heavy to have stopping power. Even though I can swing a cane that is a little heavier, but as I get older, I will be weaker, sooner or later, I have to back off and even back to the 11oz cane.

Latest Discussions