Help! (Can't find list of Parker 7th Dans.)

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
K - I searched MT and I'm brain fried atm so I'm probably not using the right search criteria. Here's the list I can recall - can anyone correct or add anything I missed please? :)

Chuck Sullivan
Dave Hebler
Ron Chap'el
Larry Tatum
Joe Palanzo
Tom Kelly
Steve Labounty
Huk Planas
Bob White
Frank Trejo
Mike Pick

Hope I didn't miss too many :)

Ronin Moose

Blue Belt
Reaction score
ELVIS?

Attachments

• $Elvis__Parker (Small).jpg
    $Elvis__Parker (Small).jpg
    38 KB · Views: 357

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Elvis was an Honorary 8th.

Nick Cerio earned his 9th from Parker but it was not in EPAK.

Who else earned an 8th or higher from Parker that was outside of EPAK?

OP
IWishToLearn

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Doc Chapel mentioned Kalihi Griffin (sp) and another woman he can't recall the name of.

hector

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi
My list :
Dave Hebler, Steve Labounty, Thomas Kelly, Larry Tatum, Chuck Sullivan, Frank Trejo, Bob White, Huk Planas, Joe Palanzo, Ron Chapel,Arturo Petit, John Conway.

Hector

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
For all the talk of Elvis being honorary, in Memories of Ed Parker Mr. Parker is quoted as saying that there was nothing Honorary about it....

Related to the original question I don't see any names missing so far, but I'll dig a bit and come back...

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
K - I searched MT and I'm brain fried atm so I'm probably not using the right search criteria. Here's the list I can recall - can anyone correct or add anything I missed please? :)

Chuck Sullivan
Dave Hebler
Ron Chap'el
Larry Tatum
Joe Palanzo
Tom Kelly
Steve Labounty
Huk Planas
Bob White
Frank Trejo
Mike Pick

Hope I didn't miss too many :)

The American Kenpo Senior Council has their 'official list' on their website.
http://www.geocities.com/ikkorg/11111akAKSCtest2.htm

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
John McSweeney isn't on the list? Any reason why not?

Hello Mike,

That is because John McSweeney was no longer doing or teaching EPAK. Those that are listed in AKSC are those that where still doing Ed Parker's system in one form or another. So the AKSC lists official Ed Parker's American Kenpo 7th blacks only.

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
Woud'nt the list just include anyone Mr.Parker Sr. promoted to 7th black? What about Jay T Will? I recall reading that Mr.Will was one of the few that was personally promoted by Mr.Parker Sr..

OP
IWishToLearn

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I did some web searches and couldn't locate that information. Can ya point me in the right direction? :)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
For all the talk of Elvis being honorary, in Memories of Ed Parker Mr. Parker is quoted as saying that there was nothing Honorary about it....

I remember reading somewhere that Dave Hebler was part of Elvis' bodyguard, or something. In this article (or whatever it was, I wish I could remember where I read this), it sounded pretty clear that Elvis' martial abilities were pretty marginal. I guess he would like to do martial arts demos and stuff to impress the people around him. One of Mr. Hebler's duties was to make sure Elvis looked good during these demos, and sometimes that was quite a challenging duty.

If Elvis was once a skilled martial artists, at least it sounds like he lost a lot later on. I don't know about his rank with Mr. Parker, but it just sounds a lot like it couldn't be anything but honorary, at least for that high a level.

Really, does anyone think that Elvis could have legitimately outranked all the other guys on the list, guys who have dedicated their lives to the martial arts, while it was probably not much more than a hobby for Elvis? Do you think he could ever have legitimately outranked Mr. Chapel, or Mr. Tatum, or Mr. Trejo, or these other senior guys? I don't buy it...

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I remember reading somewhere that Dave Hebler was part of Elvis' bodyguard, or something. In this article (or whatever it was, I wish I could remember where I read this), it sounded pretty clear that Elvis' martial abilities were pretty marginal. I guess he would like to do martial arts demos and stuff to impress the people around him. One of Mr. Hebler's duties was to make sure Elvis looked good during these demos, and sometimes that was quite a challenging duty.

If Elvis was once a skilled martial artists, at least it sounds like he lost a lot later on. I don't know about his rank with Mr. Parker, but it just sounds a lot like it couldn't be anything but honorary, at least for that high a level.

Really, does anyone think that Elvis could have legitimately outranked all the other guys on the list, guys who have dedicated their lives to the martial arts, while it was probably not much more than a hobby for Elvis? Do you think he could ever have legitimately outranked Mr. Chapel, or Mr. Tatum, or Mr. Trejo, or these other senior guys? I don't buy it...

"..at that time I thought he really deserved it. It was not honorary. I've been all over the country and seen a lot of Black Belts, and let me tell you, Elvis was a damn good Black Belt. I have an International Kenpo Karate Association constitution - a manual, which contains by-laws and the basic philosophy of my orgainization. Elvis knew that thing backward and forward. Elvis was a very good Black Belt." -- Ed Parker

Pages 51 and 52 of Memories of Ed Parker

Mr. Parker's own words....buy it. :) also don't forget that the Kenpo system's rank structure is such that the system stops at 3rd dan and everything ater that is time in grade, improvement and/or contributions to the art. At that time who did more to promote Kenpo than Elvis funding several kenpo projects and displaying the Kenpo crest at every pubilc apperance and concert?