The Journey

R

Rob_Broad

We have made several references in here in the Kenpo/Kempo area about the The Journey, so I am starting this thread for everyone to know a little more about the book and so people can give their opinions of it.

As the cover of the book says it is, "The Oral Histories of 24 of the most proficient American Kenpoists of Today." First off in my opinion the artwork is amazing, each of the 24 biographies has a portrait by Ed Parker Jr. and that alone make it worth the price. Even better in my opinion is the biographies are in the words of the people they are about. It is a great book very inspirational.

The book features: Doreen Cogliandro, Dennis Conatser, Skip Hancock, Brian Hawkins, Dave Hebler, Sean Kelley, Steve LaBounty, Bob Liles, Paul Mills, Michael Robert Pick, Richard "Huk" Palanas, Vic LeRoux, Rainer Schulte, John Sepulvada, Jeff Speakman, Chuck Sullivan, Dian Tanaka, Larry Tatum, Frank Trejo, Gilbert Velez, Lee Wedlake, Bob White, Donnie Williams, Steve Muhammad, Joe Hyams(who wrote the foreword).

I hope you enjoy the book as much as I do.

OP
R

Ronin

Yes its a great but and as a student of one of the 24 kenpoists I thought it was neat to find out things that were never learned in my years of studying. I have noticed each has their own special story and a neat saying or quote that represents them as individuals. To bad it came so many years after Mr Parkers death.

OP
N

nathan_sau

i think the book is fantastic and the art work absolutly brilliant.
It is great to read about all of these amazing people and their own journeys that led them to the present day. Especially for someone like me that lives on the **** end of the world who possible cant really have the chance to meet them in person. You are all very fortunate to have such a collarge of wealth at your fingertips.

I am extremely jealous!

OP
R

Ronin

You know the journey has several contacts in the back on the 24 kenpoists. Perhaps you should contact then and see if any of the seminars are headed your way. Im sure they would be as happy to meet you as you would them. Stay positive

OP
K

Kirk

I'd love to have a copy of that book autographed by each person
in it.

OP
R

Ronin

u could if u go to the seminars and internationals. u never know good luck

OP
C

clapping_tiger

The book is awesome and also a great inspiration. I got the book from my wife at a time when my training started to hit a slow point. I am sure we all have those times when you don’t get into the school as much as you should and start to make excuses for not going to class. Well after I read this book, the fire was lit once again, and burned brighter and stronger than ever before. Now I am helping out with classes, reading everything I can get my hands on and trying out new things. I never had any intentions of quitting, I want to get that straight, but I hit a soft spot, and this book made me realize that I was on a journey of my own, and no one but myself would be responsible for the path I chose to take. I highly recommend this book to anyone regardless of style.

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I am reading it for the first time, and I love it. The art work by Mr. Parker jr. is second to none, and each and every story is not only fascinating but also inspirational.

Thank you Nathan_sau for loaning me the book, I will now have to get out and buy my own copy.

--Dave

:asian:

OP
B

brentb

I just picked up a copy at a recent Kenpo Camp, and was lucky enough to have it autographed by Ms. Doreen Cogliandro, an 8th Degree Black belt that was giving a seminar at the camp and whom is featured in the book.

Her story is very inspirational, and I agree this is a great book for anyone to read, whatever their type of training may be.

So far I've only had a chance to read Ms. Cogliandro's (because I had the priviledge of meeting her), Dennis Conatser's (because my instructor has mentioned him, and I know he's a frequent poster here at martialtalk) and started Larry Tatum's (because I love his instructional tapes).

This is going to be a great read. Hopefully I'll get the chance to meet more of these 24 people in the future, and lots more that didn't make it into the first book.

I highly recommend this book. Its well worth the money.

take care
Brent

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It certainly is nice to see the kind comments from you all concerning the book. Many of you have expressed a desire to obtain an autograph for your book, well you do have a few choices...

1) go to a Seminar where the individuals are and get the book signed....
2) mail the book to each individual and ask for a signature (I'm sure all would be glad to do that) include reverse postage.
OR
3) E~MAIL OR WRITE EACH and ask for an autograph in a return email or send a stamped addressed return envelope in which the honoree can autograph a piece of plain paper and you can insert it into "your Journey" until you can get your actual book signed.

How Bout that for an option!! (E~graphs or Mail~Graphs) LOL...... make sure you let everyone know where it came from please.

Love ya all!!

The Emperor, aka Goldendragon7, aka Mr. C, aka Big D,:D

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'll have to get mine in the mail ASAP to you Mr. C..err I mean Emperor...err I mean Goldendragon. Wow, you have more aliases than I do :rofl: :rofl:

OP
K

KenpoGirl

On my Bookshelf. I was lucky enough to get it signed by four of the subjects (Planas, Cogliandro, Tanaka, Trejo) at Jeff Blay's camp in New York last summer.

I have yet to have to opportunity to get Mr Big Golden Emperior D Dragon to sign it for me ;) , but I am hoping to get many signatures next year when the IKC comes to Buffaloo. Ms Cogliandro is hosting it and I am hoping to be there.

Revere Karate Academy

IKC - 2003

I have only read about half the book so far, mostly just the seniors I am familiar with. Of course the above mentioned Dragon fella, was the first chapter I read.

I hope there will be other volumes with many more stories to come.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Last I heard Bleecker was scraping the whole project. Unfortunate and sad. so hold on to the books you have there may not be anymore.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
After seeing some of the postings on another forum, alot of people were cyring about this person not being in or that person.
Interesting though that he was saying most of BS was from their students not the individuals. :(

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Originally posted by Klondike93

After seeing some of the postings on another forum, alot of people were cyring about this person not being in or that person.
Interesting though that he was saying most of BS was from their students not the individuals. :(

many were asked to provide their story but they did not respond. Instead of people whining that so and so wasn't inthe book the should ask so and so why they didn't provide their own info. Some of the people who were not in the book have no concerns with sharing unless you are part of their little world.

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Originally posted by Goldendragon7

But it goes a little deeper than that.:mad:

It always does, but mine is a simple answer without airing dirty laundry.

Latest Discussions