Help! (Can't find list of Parker 7th Dans.)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, if that is truly what Mr. Parker said, and if he really meant it, OK, but I just personally remain skeptical. Just finding it hard to believe that Elvis was that committed and dedicated to kenpo. Did he teach? Did he somehow contribute to the art? If higher rank is given due to contributions to further the art, as I have seen others mention, then what did Elvis contribute, other than his famous name, to Kenpo?

Maybe he was a legitimate black belt, but eighth degree? That, to me at least in my limited experience, seems overboard. Seems to me like an eighth degree would be someone who has taught many students over many years, giving the art to the next generation. Did Elvis do anything like that?

If this was Mr. Parker's decision, so be it, but I wonder upon what it was based? And how long did he train, to earn eighth degree?

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, if that is truly what Mr. Parker said, and if he really meant it, OK, but I just personally remain skeptical. Just finding it hard to believe that Elvis was that committed and dedicated to kenpo. Did he teach? Did he somehow contribute to the art? If higher rank is given due to contributions to further the art, as I have seen others mention, then what did Elvis contribute, other than his famous name, to Kenpo?

Maybe he was a legitimate black belt, but eighth degree? That, to me at least in my limited experience, seems overboard. Seems to me like an eighth degree would be someone who has taught many students over many years, giving the art to the next generation. Did Elvis do anything like that?

If this was Mr. Parker's decision, so be it, but I wonder upon what it was based? And how long did he train, to earn eighth degree?

Lots of money and advertising for Kenpo and Kenpo competition teams. Helped make Kenpo a worldwide "commodity" instead of "just" a national one. I'd read "Memories of Ed Parker" and "Inside Elvis" for the answers to your questions from Mr. Parker's point of view. But on a different level any rank is only worth what the instructor says it's worth. Mr. Parker said 8th and it was his art. Not a lot of room for skepticism....it was HIS art, HIS decision, and HIS ranks being awarded. It's basically his word and only his word as he was the only Grandmaster of American Kenpo...well at least then but that's already on another thread :)

Mills Crenshaw

White Belt
Reaction score
K - I searched MT and I'm brain fried atm so I'm probably not using the right search criteria. Here's the list I can recall - can anyone correct or add anything I missed please? :) Chuck Sullivan
Dave Hebler
Ron Chap'el
Larry Tatum
Joe Palanzo
Tom Kelly
Steve Labounty
Huk Planas
Bob White
Frank Trejo
Mike Pick

Hope I didn't miss too many :)[Add:
Tony Marteniz Sr.
/quote]

jazkiljok

Brown Belt
Reaction score
K - I searched MT and I'm brain fried atm so I'm probably not using the right search criteria. Here's the list I can recall - can anyone correct or add anything I missed please? :) Chuck Sullivan
Dave Hebler
Ron Chap'el
Larry Tatum
Joe Palanzo
Tom Kelly
Steve Labounty
Huk Planas
Bob White
Frank Trejo
Mike Pick

Hope I didn't miss too many :)[Add:
Tony Marteniz Sr.
/quote]

Mr. Crenshaw, (and correct me if i'm wrong and you're not who i think you are), you were there at the beginning of Ed Parker's Kenpo Karate in Utah and help create the IKKA or at least one of Mr. Parker's early organizatons.

Did you not continue to teach after the early beginnings? i'm just curious why a gentleman of your obvious seniority is himself NOT on that list?

and, welcome to the conversation:asian:

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Verified that I know of off the top of my head

Chuck Sullivan
Dave Hebler
Ron Chap'el
Larry Tatum
Joe Palanzo
Tom Kelly
Steve Labounty
Huk Planas
Bob White
Frank Trejo

Bob White

Green Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Verified that I know of off the top of my head

Chuck Sullivan
Dave Hebler
Ron Chap'el
Larry Tatum
Joe Palanzo
Tom Kelly
Steve Labounty
Huk Planas
Bob White
Frank Trejo

I have the same list.
Respectfully,
Bob White

hector

White Belt
Reaction score
Arturo Petit was promoted to Seventh by Ed Parker.

c:\parker.jpg

Hector

Kenpsy7

White Belt
Reaction score
I believe that Sandy Sandavol was also promoted to 7th dan by Mr. Parker. I met him in 1990 when he came by our school and worked out with us. Several of his former students joined our school after he stopped teaching for a whilt. then he got in some legal trouble for some crimes that he had done and went to prison. Lost track of him after that.

Latest Discussions