Hello/Need advice

Franny

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello. I am fifty years old, overweight and have a back that acts up sometimes. I live in Nashua, NH.

I've always wanted to experience the discipline inherent in the martial arts, but don't know where or how to start.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Start to have fun by doing some research on the schools in your area. visit several of them and get a feeling for what art / instructor is right for you.
Something like Tai Chi may work for you since it may be easier on your back or you may research and find something else that suits you.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First off hello and what do you like about martial arts and that would be the best to start with.
Terry

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Greetings Franny, and hello from "south of the border" :)

Welcome to Martial Talk!

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
welcome to martialtalk.

You are never to old to start studying the arts so as a few have said look aound at some of the schools in your area (i might even try the Manchester and salem areas) talk to the students and instructors and find one that you think will fit your needs.
Keep us informed as to how it goes

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome to MT! :wavey: You certainly came to the right place for help. I will also echo the recommendations of looking into Tai Chi. More importantly, be patient with yourself and allow your body to adjust to the new physical activity. Good luck with your search. :)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to MT! As the others have said, you're never too old to start training. Take a look around at some of the schools in your area. If there is something along the lines of Tai Chi, that might be a good route to take!:)

Mike

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome! Happy Posting and I hope you find an art that is a work out for your mind as well as your body. :wavey:

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First, welcome aboard! I think you'll find this a very polite, and friendly, community that's quite willing to help.

By all means, post some questions in the Beginner's forum. You'll get a lot of exposure there, and some honest-to-goodness assistance.

Franzfri

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Franny said:
Hello. I am fifty years old, overweight and have a back that acts up sometimes. I live in Nashua, NH.

I've always wanted to experience the discipline inherent in the martial arts, but don't know where or how to start.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Hi, I'm 62 years old and started to do Tai Chi Yang style when I was 59 1/2. I had been walking and waving my arms around to fend off arthritis and bersitis and backaches etc. I am still overweigt. A local adult school was offering Tai Chi and I signed up. I didn't know that the class I chose was the Guang Ping (long form - more martial arts oriented). The following year when I took a class in the Beijing style of Tai Chi, the short form, I was happy that I had started with the Guang Ping. In the short form body weight is often on one leg. In the long form body weight is evenly distributed. My legs and hips have gotten stronger. I can balance on one leg to do a kick and I'm having fun. I like to say that I'm getting 3 benefits; weight bearing exercise, meditation, and self defense. I also do Chi Gong which is related to Tai Chi but different, more internal and meditative. I haven't gone to any "senior" tai chi classes, but watched one in the park once. It looked more like Chi Gong than Tai Chi. I wish I had started Tai Chi years ago. I believe I am the oldest person at my school. Contact me if you like. I live in Bergen County NY.
Fran

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to MT. Think up some goals what are you trying to get out of your martial arts training? Physical Fitness? Self Discipline? Delf Defense? Ect. Also I would consult a Doctor about that back problem before I start any martial arts program, to make sure you wont injure it further. Have fun on the boards.

Latest Discussions