Healing in the Martial Art

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Iā€™ve been through that training. My Kenpo teacher was a student of Seig Kufferath, and made that a part of our curriculum. That was probably the most valuable part of the training that I did with him.
I must say, I am a little jealous here...
Did you do Kappo with him? The massage modules with him? (how many?) or both?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I must say, I am a little jealous here...
Did you do Kappo with him? The massage modules with him? (how many?) or both?
Iā€™m not familiar with the term ā€œkappoā€ so I will assume not. We did massage ( VERY deep-tissue, is how I would describe it). Iā€™m vague on how the modules are organized, but we worked the full body, front and back, face to feet. A full application would take close to an hour.

I didnā€™t keep up with it as I drifted away from Kenpo, and never put in the hours to become a licensed therapist. But it is a good thing. I still have the reference materials that my teacher put together.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Iā€™m not familiar with the term ā€œkappoā€ so I will assume not.
Kappo is a set of healing techniques for injuries. If you choke someone out, there are 3 ways to wake them up. If they land a throw hard and lock their diaphragm, there are 3 ways to help them breath again. If they get kicked in the groin, 3 ways to get them moving again... Kappo is usually introduced when the student starts to learn chokes. The new guy, gets choked out, then brought back. Then he gets to learn how to bring back someone from being choked out. Then he learns how to choke. (for some reason we don't take the same approach with the groin kick techniques...)

Sounds like you started work on the massage program. That is organized into 3 modules or semesters. And yes, I would describe it as VERY deep-tissue. In many dojos the back, neck and head portions are taught at the end of each class. So, every class ends with you getting and giving a back massage for the last 10 minutes. To get into the modules and the full body massage, you have to take the massage classes which are separate. Sometimes, people will sign up and only take the massage course, without taking the jujitsu side.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here's a question for the group. What's the functional difference between this guy and the folks on this forum who argue against the science of the pandemic? I look at this and the silliness posted in the coronavirus threads, and it looks exactly the same to me.
bexause despite numerous requests the sciebce of the pandenic has not been disclosed, by the people claiming to have knolledge of the science.

the science of healing is not however clouded in susch mystery,

however as he to is recient to actual give details, its impossible to kbow if his claims stand up to scrutiny, so its much more like the virus belivers than the sceptics

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
bexause despite numerous requests the sciebce of the pandenic has not been disclosed, by the people claiming to have knolledge of the science.

the science of healing is not however clouded in susch mystery,

however as he to is recient to actual give details, its impossible to kbow if his claims stand up to scrutiny, so its much more like the virus belivers than the sceptics
You've been given the science a lot of times, but have dismissed or ignored each link/article/reference/statistical data.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You've been given the science a lot of times, but have dismissed or ignored each link/article/reference/statistical data.
because non of them say what the person posting them thinjs they say.

at best, they contsin of a " scientist said" which is not the actual science

if this stuff was true it would be extremly easy to find, as no one can find it , it seems, , they its safe to draw conclusions, that it may bot be as described.

il try again, how much more risk am at , if i dont social distance? you dobt know coz nobody knows, which is my point

OP
T

tongsau

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You should take a look at Danzan Ryu. We study both sides of the coin... the martial side and the healing side. The founder, Okazaki, was more famous for his healing work when he was alive, than he was for his martial arts. He taught a massage course, which has been kept as part of the system to this day. Parts of it are taught as part of the normal martial arts class. The more formal teaching of it is through a separate set of classes. There are three classes (semesters) that are taught and require many hours of study. These classes are recognized and after taking the classes, you can test and receive your massage therapy license in all 50 states. From there, you can work as a licensed massage therapist. Many dojos supplement their income by offering massage therapy. Danzan Ryu is an example of a Japanese style art that has kept the healing side, up through present day. And, the healing side of the system is good enough to get your license from.
Yes I am a student of Ohkazaki also.šŸ˜‰

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah the joys of daytime drinking have produced a hilarious thread. Drink, drinkā€¦drink some more!šŸ˜‚

Latest Discussions