Most effective striking arts in your opinions

Denoaikido

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well currently practice bujinkan starting muay thai and i used to do american style kickboxing that was taught mostly by a boxer when I was quite a bit younger .My journeys also led me to do aikido/
TENSHIN SHODEN KATORI SHINTO RYU Budo
You could say im a busy guy to say the least but my true quest is to better my self enlightenment in every art available close to me and appeal to me most.
My question is what more stand up arts are there really beside boxing and karate and tkd none them really interest me?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I’m sorry, do you have an actual question? Or was there something specific that you want to actually discuss?

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well currently practice bujinkan starting muay thai and i used to do american style kickboxing that was taught mostly by a boxer when I was quite a bit younger .My journeys also led me to do aikido/
TENSHIN SHODEN KATORI SHINTO RYU Budo
You could say im a busy guy to say the least but my true quest is to better my self enlightenment in every art available close to me and appeal to me most.
My question is what more stand up arts are there really beside boxing and karate and tkd none them really interest me?
Sinanju.

You're welcome.

Christopher Adamchek

Purple Belt
Reaction score
bunjikan taijutsu is an amazing striking art as is karate and the others you mentioned
what are you really looking for?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Assuming equality in terms of natural talent, quality of instruction, and time and level of training:
  • Boxing doesn't have the quantity of striking techniques that any other art has
  • No other art has the quality of striking techniques that boxing has
Know these two truths, and you'll know why all arts are good and all arts are bad. Most arts, if not all, have areas in which they are weak, or at the very least areas in which something else is stronger. Karate and Kickboxing have decent kicks, but I'd expect their kicks to be weaker than someone who does Taekwondo or Capoeira. I'd expect a Muay Thai fighter to be better in the clinch, and I'd expect someone who trains in Karate, Taekwondo, or Kung Fu to be better at mixing grappling with striking than someone who takes Boxing or Kickboxing.

But nobody should be better at punching or reading punches than a boxer.

What's more important than what art you take is who is teaching it, and the level to which you train it. I take Taekwondo, which I'll admit hasn't been very strong in dealing with punches. If I went into the boxing ring against a boxer with a similar level of experience with a similar quality of instruction, he would probably destroy with me with one hand tied down.

However, if I went into that boxing ring against someone who's taken a couple classes a week for the last six months, who hasn't really practiced outside of class, isn't very coordinated to begin with, and doesn't have a very good coach...in that case, I'll probably win. Even though my art is weaker there.

Quality of instruction and dedication to the art are far, far more important than what art you take.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
You were taught kickboxing by a boxer.....yeah I think you got taught boxing mate.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I agree with it. Which is what makes all this stuff so highly enjoyable. :)

I was referring to post 11.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The real question you should ask is what do you want to accomplish?

There are literally hundreds of striking arts
Master List of Martial Arts Styles - Black Belt Wiki

In terms of what you ask for, what type of striking to you like? Punches, kicks, forearms, knees, head, elbows, body (literally being slam your body into another person), and weapons.
Do you like strikes that are linear or circular, or systems that have both?

Once you identify your goal people can make better suggestions to help you get to where you want to be.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
He was one of the people who was posting on here talking about how every martial art is ********. His videos showing off his skill are hilarious
6 minutes of my time I won't get back lol. Took a look at some of his videos and even when to his side gig page. Access to This Page Has Been Blocked

Read his profile and reviews. CB Jones really knows how to pic them lol.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But did you watch his gun disarms?

Yep I've seen that one too. There's some really dangerous stuff out there. A paint gun and a few rounds would have changed everything. Downside to free speech lol.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Stupid thread without a real question, but I’ll play along...

Most any striking art where people are actually hitting each other hard enough to genuinely not want to get hit is going to be pretty effective. And so long as you’re not training it alongside all kids and decrepit people.