Keeping your hands up.

OP
Pedantix

Pedantix

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Once the fight has started, the hands go up and stay up. If they don't, neither do you.

that's more my thinkin. and definitely how i've been trained. but reading through these responses it seems there are quite a few variables. for instance, the fact that some TKD doesn't allow punches to the head which would take a bit of the worry out, yk?

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
that's more my thinkin. and definitely how i've been trained. but reading through these responses it seems there are quite a few variables. for instance, the fact that some TKD doesn't allow punches to the head which would take a bit of the worry out, yk?
Sport TKD Disallows Head Punching much like many forms of Karate.
But that isnt why their Hands are down.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
more for balance and speed, i presume...?
Wrong - Hands Up offers more Balance, and allows Countermovement, Theoretically allowing Speed.
Their Hands are Down, because its more about how many Points You Score. Not how many You can stop from being Scored. Additionally, They believe it makes them less Predictable.
In a SD Context, one must admit itd be slightly surprising to have someone go from casually standing straight into a flurry of Kicks.

That said, I see more benefits to Teaching it both ways.

Black Belt Jedi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Another thing is that your head is the most important thing of your body your need to protect because if you take a hard hit to the head, you can get a concussion and other bad things; so keeping your hands up in a fight is very important.

Latest Discussions