having trouble deciding on a style

drummingman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i have been looking to start taking martial art lessons for some time for practical self defense.i have gotten down to 2 different styles that i have been considering that look the most interesting to me but i can't figure out whih one i want to do.the 2 styles are american kenpo and daito ryu jujitsu/daito ryu aikijujitsu.
there are a few things that i should mention that might play into things.i have bed tendinitis in both of my wrists and i have a bad left knee.im also a full time musician (drummer) so i don't want to do anything that would jeopardize my music career.
these things said i really want to study one of these styles.if you had to compare these styles against each other for real world self defense how whould they rate? i know no one style is "better" then another but im sure that considering what im looking for and my physical issues that one of these styles might be best suited for me.
also,from what i know of american kenpo there is really no ground fighting in the system so if that style is the one i choose i will have to do something about that.and that would mean some other style for the ground fighting im guessing.what style would work for the real self defense on the street for ground fighting that would complement the american kenpo? i ask this just in case the kenpo is the way to go for me.
i have also been doing a lot of research about these styles,kenpo and jujitsu, and i have seen some info about the effectiveness of off balancing of an opponent by throwing them to the ground or redirecting them in some way as opposed to trying to just stand toe to toe with them and just pound through them with strikes and kicks.this has made me wonder about the effectivness of american kenpo as compared to jujitsu because of the use of strikes and kicks in kenpo.does kenpo have things like off balancing throws and such that is at all like the jutjitsu stuff?
what made me think of this whole aspect of standing toe to toe with strikes and kicks not being enough at times is an article that i just read.i posted it in another section of the site but i'll post it here for easy access. http://www.fightingarts.com/reading/article.php?id=141
i have gone a watched classes in both styles but i really don't want to sign up for either class untill i decide(although this is what i might have to do depending on what you guys tell me).
i'd like to hear what you all have to say.
thanks a lot.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The instructor makes the biggest difference. Personally, I would side with the Daito-ryu for practical self-defense if all things were equal. But that's me. You'll get more striking and less grappling with the Kenpo and more grappling and less striking with the jujutsu/aikijutsu. To an extent, it depends on what sorts of fights you are preparing for; if you think you're more apt to be grabbed, or end up in a clinch/ground situation, jujutsu makes much sense.

It's very hard to answer a question like this. It would help to know how big/athletic you are, but still, until you try them you won't know which one "fits" you. Most people end up switching arts after they get a taste of training and gain some experience. Kenpo's organized approach to techniques can lay a good groundwork for later understanding what's going on in other arts.

The jujutsu is more like to leave you with sore fingers, but you shouldn't get music-impairing injuries in either art. Both can be hard on a bad knee, but that's because most activities can be hard on one.

Good luck!

OP
drummingman

drummingman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i want to prepare for any kind of fight be it standing or on the ground and also for multiple attackers.
im 5 foot 10" tall and and i weigh about 216.i have not worked out for a good while. except for the knee and the tendinitis i have no major problems in health.i do have a bit of a gut though.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's very hard to answer a question like this. It would help to know how big/athletic you are, but still, until you try them you won't know which one "fits" you. Most people end up switching arts after they get a taste of training and gain some experience. Kenpo's organized approach to techniques can lay a good groundwork for later understanding what's going on in other arts.Good luck!

Excellent post from arnisador ..Visit a few school observe a few classes...if they do not allow people to visit then you don't need to be there..Accept a trial lesson(s) if offered..You will know when you found the right place...Keep us posted...

hemi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have to agree with what has already been said. The instructor does make a world of difference. And only you can make a decision on what “fits”. Best advice I can give is 2nd what arnisador said. You may need to try both and sit down and make a decision.

Personally I love American Kenpo and can’t see my self not attending classes, but before I started I had to decide between two styles. I have happy with my choice but am still very curious about other styles. And one day I may cross train but for now I plan to give my primary art my 100% attention.

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
You might want to look a group that does Tai Chi for health. Sometimes there are groups in churches who do it with no Martial Art purposes.
Tai Chi will help your bad knee and tendins. It might help you to get a more stretching body to go with your future MA training.

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
See if you can try each one for a month. If so, go with the one that makes the most sense to you. There are people that swear by Kenpo, and I believe they could use it very effectively. However, I tried it for a little while and it just wasnt for me. Not good or bad, just not my deal.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, You may also want to take a look at JUDO! ...it is more than you think, which came from jujutsu.....offers great stand up defense as well as ground work...........Aloha

Latest Discussions