Have you notice? Harder the workouts...the better you feel!

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Have you notice after awhile...when the class gets a really good workout....the better you feel later on when you go home!

If fact, anytime your body sweats alot....the better your feel later on?

This does not happen in every class, we do take alot of water breaks. Many do not sweat as much....maybe we need to increase the training to be harder.

How many of you prefer "sweaty classes"? How hard is your routines?

Aloha

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am a new student, and in bad shape. Since I cannot do the 5 sets of 20 pushups or the 2 sets of 50 crunches that we all do yet, I am pushed to the limit with those, and am glad.

By the time the class is through, I am spent. Out of gas. I have to actually walk slow to the car, like an old man.

But, it feels good, I know that feeling. Also, we have fairly heavy uniforms (we do grabbing techniques, the lighter weight uniforms would tear), so that makes for more sweat too, perhaps.

To sweat in practice is a GOOD thing, I think, as a new person.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is true. Almost always when I feel like crap before practice and go and work my butt off and get my gi soaked, I do in-fact feel 100% better. It's an endorphine thing I think.

meth18au

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I always leave my class absolutely saturated. I exaggerate not- it looks like I have been in a pool, my shorts and shirt are that wet!!!

To me- it has to be this way. I would have it no other, I like to keep my work rate blazing for the whole class. I have similar sentiments to Stone- come to class feeling like crap, leave feeling oh-so-content...

:)

Kennedy_Shogen_Ryu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I am the biggest pile of sweat in my class and proud of it. Even the simplest of workouts I give it my all and make sure that I get a good sweat-on! And I personally find that a lot of the students will pick up on my energy and will get energized themselves. It's a great feeling!

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
You hit the nail on the head, AC.

Respects,
Bill Parsons
Triangle Kenpo Institute

I'm certainly not an expert in this area but it is my understanding that in recent years, the connection between the "Runner's High" phenomenon and endorphins has been debunked in a study by Georgia Tech.

This study in 2004 found that the “Runner's High” was more likely triggered by a release of another naturally produced body chemical, endocannabinoid anandamide. Anandamide, is an internally produced cannabinoid neurotransmitter found in animal and human organs, especially in the brain. It was isolated and its structure was described in 1992. The name is taken from the Sanskrit word ananda, which means "bliss, or delight" and the human body produces this chemical to deal with prolonged stress and pain from strenuous exercise, similar to the original theory attached to endorphins.

Danny T

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is true. Almost always when I feel like crap before practice and go and work my butt off and get my gi soaked, I do in-fact feel 100% better. It's an endorphine thing I think.

I always feel better after a hard workout. Strange thing is almost everyone I ask says the same thing.

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I always feel better after a good hard workout -- until the next morning, when I can't get out of bed!

:caffeine:

OP
S

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm certainly not an expert in this area but it is my understanding that in recent years, the connection between the "Runner's High" phenomenon and endorphins has been debunked in a study by Georgia Tech.

This study in 2004 found that the “Runner's High” was more likely triggered by a release of another naturally produced body chemical, endocannabinoid anandamide. Anandamide, is an internally produced cannabinoid neurotransmitter found in animal and human organs, especially in the brain. It was isolated and its structure was described in 1992. The name is taken from the Sanskrit word ananda, which means "bliss, or delight" and the human body produces this chemical to deal with prolonged stress and pain from strenuous exercise, similar to the original theory attached to endorphins.

Danny T

Hello, Endocannabinoid Anandamide? Sounds better than Illegal drugs.
What is the recommended doses? Can I buy some?....only kidding ..........Aloha

PS: Natural stuffs is usually the best" huh!"

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Tonight, at the very end of class, when we stood in a line facing the Teacher, and were just about to bow, ending the class, we stood still for a few seconds.

At that time, suddenly the whole room looked very bright. We had a good class tonight!

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In ATA, we talk about the development of the student in terms of the growth of a pine tree. First, there is the seed that gets planted. Then the sun comes up and ripens the seed, etc., etc. But I always point out that the seed needs water and there is only one way to water our seed in class: SWEAT LIKE A WARTHOG!!!

bookworm_cn317

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello, Have you notice after awhile...when the class gets a really good workout....the better you feel later on when you go home!

If fact, anytime your body sweats alot....the better your feel later on?
Yeah, I feel better. Extremely tired, but better!
This does not happen in every class, we do take alot of water breaks. Many do not sweat as much....maybe we need to increase the training to be harder.

How many of you prefer "sweaty classes"? How hard is your routines?

Aloha
I actually kind of like the "sweaty classes". The routines are hard enough to feel slightly sore the next day. But the good kind of sore.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
The best time for me is later when I am in bed after an especially hard class. The only way to explain it is that it feels like every cell in my body is standing up and singing. The closest experience to this I've felt is in the dentist's office when they give you nitrous oxide. Those are the nights when I know I've had a good class.

Latest Discussions