Have you ever used a weapon?

TrainHardFightEasy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Upon readig the 'which is your prefered weapon?" thread. I became curious.
Have any of you actually been forced to use a weapon before? Surely at least a few of you have but whether you care to share or not is up to you. I can understand why some wouldn't. You don't want to incriminate yourself.

So if you have, did it go down well, or not so well? And did you get in any sort of trouble? And would you use the same weapon again? You know, that sort of thing.

In my younger days a few years back I did try to use the Nunchakus once, A weapon I'm not trained in, other than just playing around with them in my own time. It was against a large group of aggressive people. Anyway I got a couple of decent whacks in but ended up getting pretty bashed in the end. It wasn't overly fun. They took one of my nunchuckus as well. :(

My lesson from this is don't feel invincible just because you have a weapon in your hand. Specially one your not trained to use. I already new this but now I highly endorse the fact. And of course, always leave peacefully if you can. As you should.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My expandable baton MANY times..

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have used the following weapons,
* M-14, M-16, (68 - 69),
* Baton - 12" with a single steel ball at one end,(to many times),
* S&W 357 Mag & 40 cal.,(only 1 time each),
* Remington 870,(only 1 time),
* Mace / OC,
* Duty hat,(don't laugh, for real).

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have used my trusty pen, but only once and it got me in SOOOO much trouble at school....

I did try and defend myself against an ex with it once, but he took it off me before I could stab him. I was doing at all wrong I know now.... I'd give my eye teeth for another stab at the sod.

MaartenSFS

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've drawn my telescopic baton twice (Rapid deployment and stopped just short of making contact with their skull/neck - as intimidation), but never had to use it.

I also used an umbrella once, but that was because my left hand was holding a heavy bag and I just happened to have it in my pocket.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Used a M-16A2 and an M-24 more times than I care to remember at times.

Jeff

Bill Sempf

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I can say as non-military or police that I once got to use the back end of my pool cue as a jo staff in a bar fight. I was studying Aikido at the time, and even used decent form. No, I don't remember what kata I used.

Word to the wise, don't pick the pool table in the back of the hall. It's a looooong way to the door.

S

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Before I had any formal training, I once used escrima stick vs three opponents, one of which was armed with a tire tool.

They were VERY effective despite me only having no training in their use. Someone just showed me the bare-bones basics of how they are used.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have used my trusty pen, but only once and it got me in SOOOO much trouble at school....

I did try and defend myself against an ex with it once, but he took it off me before I could stab him. I was doing at all wrong I know now.... I'd give my eye teeth for another stab at the sod.

I've used a pencil once in school, and was proven as self- defense...

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Jacket, hot coffee, slurpee, rock, umbrella, box of beer, chair, bottle, shoe, belt, sand, comb, credit card. One I've always thought would work great is a toaster in a pillow case (langoliers). Improvised weapons, there when you need'em.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A knife more than once, gun, 2X4, bottles, beer mugs (glass), broom handle, and other improvisations.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have used the following weapons,
* Baton - 12" with a single steel ball at one end,(to many times),
* Duty hat,(don't laugh, for real).

The baton with a knob on the end sounds like it could be a killer, literally.

The duty hat? Makes sense, a lot of sense.

Me? In no particular order...

• ladder rung
  • 2x4
  • Spyderco pocket knife
  • chain with a lock on one end and keys on the other
  • short sword
  • cast and sling
  • 1911 (Chinese Commie model)
  • briefcase
  • Mossberg shotgun
  • rock
  • shillelagh-style cane
  • shillelagh-style cane and Spyderco pocket knife
In almost every case strong presentation and a perception in the bad guys' mind that I was ready and willing (read "scared") enough to use it convinced them that it wasn't worth whatever they were after.

Looking back at it a disproportionate number of these incidents happened when I was obviously injured. Predators, especially low-level predators really do look for the sick and wounded.

My gosh! I forgot the best one of all: Two raw eggs.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jacket, hot coffee, slurpee, rock, umbrella, box of beer, chair, bottle, shoe, belt, sand, comb, credit card. One I've always thought would work great is a toaster in a pillow case (langoliers). Improvised weapons, there when you need'em.

"To the Pure all things are pure. To the bloody minded hoodlum all things are weapons." :D

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Broken bottle (long story...)

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The steel ball on the end of my baton is used when,
* a thrusting action is applied into a muscle,
* striking at a hand, wrist or kicking foot,
* pressure point locations.
:jedi1:

Ronin Moose

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Regular night-stick (straight, not the PR24)
Expandable baton (a favorite)
Yawara stick
Other more lethal weaponry

The only time I used the yawara, I had it tucked in my gun belt (uniformed deputy sheriff, circa 1975) while responding to a bar fight. Some poor jerk tries a choke hold from behind and to my extreme surprise I remembered that little jewel; grabbed it and shot a backfist over the top of my head backward, right into his forehead. He dropped like a sack of potatoes. Of course the fight ensued and I went through a window before it was all over, but that's the long ending. I still have the stick, mostly as a rememberance.

I have not had a chance to use one yet, but I've been traiing with a "combat cane" for 3 years now, and I think it is an ideal weapon.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have used a stick and a rock that where close at hand, I have had to use a knife once ( I wont go into that).
My wife has used a iron frying pan just hot off the stove ( it hurt like hell)
I have had my sticks in hand but never got the chance to put them in use
Lets see other articles I have made use off:
a fork, a hot coffee, a book I was carrying, maybe a few more things

Latest Discussions