RBSD Instructors

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depending on who you talk to, opinions of people such as Jim Wagner, Peyton Quinn, Sammy Franco and Marc MacYoung, to name a few, can vary from person to person. Some speak highly of these individuals and other tend to do the opposite.

What are your thoughts? Do they have stuff to offer or are they just another fad?

I've read up on a few of them. I find Wagners article in BB magazine interesting. I've read a few of MacYoungs books and found them quite interesting. IMO, its not so much that they're teaching new techniques, but the applications that they present.

So..what are your thoughts?

Mike

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
I agree with you. I don't think of them as a fad as they've been around for a while now. They definitely have found their niche. With all of the comeercialization going on, or, that has gone on for at least, what, 20 years now? Maybe more? There is a need for some to train a more hard core way, or place that "emphasis" on it. Basically that's all it is. Even in the Mc Dojo arguments of the past. They still learn the same techniques, and moves, as the hard core, it's just application practices that differ.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think the problem with the RBSD grouping is that there are far more arm chair theorists arguing about the best way to fight off the godless, homeless communist, pyscho pathic thugs that randomly attack people for there quarters.

I imagine there are a few people in there that have real experience and really now what they are talking about, but when your target market becomes a bunch of guys that seem like the real life versions of Dale Gribble (King of the Hill), well, everyone will cater to there customers to some extent.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's a good thing fundamentally. A lot of people start martial arts because they are interested in self defense. More often than not they get screwed. They go to the dojo and get the old bait-and-switch. They're promised personal protection. They get years of katas, sparring which is optimized for incredibly unrealistic contests with other people in the same style, warmed over Orientalism and a funny looking set of pajamas. The ones who stick with it long enough are convinced that what they're getting is really a lot better than what they wanted. That may be true for some or even most. It's still a scam. They aren't getting what they paid for.

These guys and others like them are at least trying to give people what they ask for, the ability to prevail in the sort of fight something like what they are likely to encounter in the real world. That's a good thing. The problems come when the teachers believe their own publicity or claim to have learned everything important from some discipline where they didn't even scratch the surface. At least one of the guys you mention has done exactly that, and no I won't say who.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
That particular presentation of self defense has always felt off to me -- too much emphasis on 'hey, look at me, I'm a badass', too much ego.

I agree that SD is important (though not in my opinion the ultimate aim of martial training), but prefer the angle taken by the Krav Maga/Haganah/ Systema crowd. Tom Patire and Bill Kipp, though taking a very different approach, also impress me.

Both of those presentations seem to leave instructor ego out of it, instead focusing on the real needs of real people. No books telling you which biker punch rings to buy, no stories about the gun he took away from the ninja assassin. Just intelligent application of combat principals to people who'll only be in combat once.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
IMO they have found an overlooked area that needed to be addressed and they have exploited it to make a nice chunk of change and a name for themselves. Who has not had to deal withthe effects of the adrenal-dump? Not to many. I doon't think you have to goto one of these guys to learn how to deal with it, but you do need to learn to deal with it. I think that the "traditional" and not so traditional arts can help with an individual learning how to deal with the physiological effects of adrenal-dump. I don't think the RBD guys have the only way. You could probably find out how it effects the body and design your own training to help you with the whole thing.

This is JMHO and it can be picked apart if you feel the need. I would put more thought into it, but it is 01:15 and I am tired.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jim Wagner is still a mystery to me...He seemed to come out of nowhere and now you can't pick up a copy of Black Belt magazine without seeing something written by him or about him...

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jim Wagner is still a mystery to me...He seemed to come out of nowhere and now you can't pick up a copy of Black Belt magazine without seeing something written by him or about him...
And, honestly, his columns haven't impressed me, nor has his "hopscotch" career. I read his account of his time as an FAM, and it seemed a lot like he got hired to punch his ticket for writing columns/being a talking head. In other words -- he wasted the time and expense of selecting and training him, with no apparent intent to follow through. Now -- I could be dead wrong; this is only my opinion based on what little I've seen about him. And I know quite a few former FAMs who left the program because it wasn't what they were led to expect or because there were plenty of organizational problems. I'm not denying his experience or trying to discredit his work as a LEO, understand, but simply saying that he seems more talking head who's spent a lot of the last few years promoting his self defense training in various ways. Which is, of course, his right...

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score

jks9199 said:
And, honestly, his columns haven't impressed me, nor has his "hopscotch" career. I read his account of his time as an FAM, and it seemed a lot like he got hired to punch his ticket for writing columns/being a talking head.

....I'm not denying his experience or trying to discredit his work as a LEO, understand, but simply saying that he seems more talking head who's spent a lot of the last few years promoting his self defense training in various ways. Which is, of course, his right...
Agreed, he hasn't impressed me, either, and he did seem to leap out of nowhere. True, he has a right to his opinion and to self-promotion, but when it goes beyond promoting himself to claiming his is the One True Path, it becomes dangerous. And this is what I perceive from this individual. I certainly would not put him in the same category as, for example, a Marc MacYoung.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Personally I think that some of them have alot to offer and some of them well they just are not that good. It is like anything in life, let the buyer beware.

Shotgun Buddha

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Personally Im not too impressed by many RBSD instructors, the whole tough guy marketing tends to put me off. However there are two of them who have always managed to impress me, simply because of the logical, rational way they make their arguements.
With both Mick Coup and Darren Laur, anything I've read by them has made an awful lot of sense with no posturing attached.
So I intend to try training with both of them at some point, has anyone had any contact with either?

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, sorry for forgetting about this thread folks. Looks like some great replies, so I wanted to bump it back up to the top for more discussion.:ultracool

My thoughts: Some mentioned the bad *** image that many of the RBSD guys project. Now, is that because they really feel that they're the best, because they've proven their points with differences in material and teaching, or is it a marketing ploy? There have been many times during a UFC match, that one of the fighters 'calls out' another fighter, whos watching in the crowd. The guy in the crowd stands up, comes down the aisle, jumps into the ring and they're standing face to face talking smack. Do they really hate each other or is it a tactic to draw a crowd for the next show?

Its no secret that many of them, especially Wagner, frown upon kata and much of the traditional mindset. I think that if we look at the two, we can see differences. Take Krav for instance. Its billed as teaching something thats easy to learn, effective, easy to remember, doesn't take alot of practice...simple and to the point. So...whats better?

Personally, I don't think that its that they have anything new to teach, per se, but how they go about teaching. Seems like there is an emphasis on quick and simple, rather than long and drawn out.

As I've always said, I think that both RBSD and TMA have much to offer. I train in what would be considered a TMA, but I like to keep my eyes open. If I see something that I feel that would benefit me, I have no problem adding it to my bag.

Mike

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lot's of marketing going on. Some of them are pretty tough guy's and other's well probably not so much. (some do over exaggerate their credentials and or real life experiences :erg:) Other's definately bring a dimension that is needed in the martial arts. (is it really new though :idunno: you have to decide for yourself ) Choose carefully what you want to learn and remember it is up to you to find the right teacher for yourself.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know anything about the people you mention but we have these guys.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoff_Thompson

http://www.worldcombatarts.co.uk/article1.html

www.newbreedbooks.co.uk

Geoff Thompson, Mo Teague and Jamie O'Keefe are all well known over here, some say their training methods are brutal but it's not disputed that they have certainly "been there, done that and got the tshirt"! All are also writers.

Been reading some of Geoff Thompson's stuff, and he's all you say. I may not espouse training as he does, but he's about more than the physical. Very helpful stuff, and as you say Tez, he writes very well.

Will check out the others when I can. Thanks for the info. :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've just been reading Geoff's "Watch my back", about his time on the doors. The amount of 'casual' violence is staggering. I think I must have had a very sheltered upbringing because I could never have imagined fighting like this! He's very honest about the effect it had on him though.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've just been reading Geoff's "Watch my back", about his time on the doors. The amount of 'casual' violence is staggering. I think I must have had a very sheltered upbringing because I could never have imagined fighting like this! He's very honest about the effect it had on him though.

Have it on order. Thanks for the quick preview.