Hate Teaching!

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
Last night me and the other senior grades had to give constructed criticisms of how the other lower grades and beginners were performing their forms. This I know is what is involved in teaching so that students receive feedback on how they are doing. But a lot of the time when everyone performs their forms My instructor will go round everybody and ask them how a particular student did. Well Last night just us senior grades had to comment, and my answer was "not bad" because even though I was looking at them I really didn't know what else to say and didn't know what I was suppose to be looking out for. I really don't enjoy teaching at all, as I hate being put on the spot and when I have to teach the younger kids, they are so annoying, and I really don't have it in me to be strict.
Basically I just want to learn, because thats the only reason I started and being able to take care of myself and gaining confidence. I don't want to teach! But I'm not about to say anything to my instructor! I'm just hoping he notices how bad I am at it and he will see that he shouldn't ask me!
Our grading is coming up soon and I don't think I'm quite ready for it. I think My instructor hinted as much at the last one and I know he was talking about me because my forms aren't really that good. Because I have moved to a smaller place its hard to practice as I don't have enough room to fully practice all of my forms the way they should be done. And there are a couple of forms that the other senior grades know, an extra empty hand form and a Rice Flail form. Even though my instructor never showed me that form with the rice flails (nunchukus) I found a website that teaches how to use them and I have got pretty good on my own. While they were all performing that particular form I was so tempted to show off what I had learnt myself. Its funny because my instructor doesn't know I have taught myself how to use the Rice flail.

Hung Fa Moose

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Tony,

If you're not wanting to teach, you shoudl try to talk with your instructor, respectfully of course, and inform him of what your primary motivation is. However, he may also be asking you to help judge other's forms and such in order to help you learn at a somewhat advanced rate. You said you're not sure what to look for in other's forms, which may mean you're not sure of what to watch out for when you play your forms. Typically, what you need in your forms (the finer details such as body unity, flow...) are also the same for the junior ranks, but on a less stringent scale. Based on what you said your instructor implied about your last test, it does sound as if he maybe trying to help you better learn your material by having you teach and judge others, this way giving you a reason to excel so you can improve your skill. Like I said, try to talk with your instructor and see what he has to say.

Steve

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tony said:
Last night me and the other senior grades had to give constructed criticisms of how the other lower grades and beginners were performing their forms. This I know is what is involved in teaching so that students receive feedback on how they are doing. But a lot of the time when everyone performs their forms My instructor will go round everybody and ask them how a particular student did. Well Last night just us senior grades had to comment, and my answer was "not bad" because even though I was looking at them I really didn't know what else to say and didn't know what I was suppose to be looking out for.

I'll do my best to answer your questions. First off, this is something that many people most likely encounter when first starting to teach. I'm not familiar with your ranking structure, so I'm not sure where you stand as far as beginner, int. and advanced. Teaching, can in some schools, be a requirement for advanced rank. As for not wanting to do it, yes, its not for everyone. Some people are better teachers than fighters, some are better fighters, but have a hard time teaching, while some excell in SD, and others in kata, etc.

As for not knowing what to look for....IMO, even when learning, the student should understand what he/she is doing. Rather than just going through the moves, if you have an understanding of it, it may be easier for you to follow what the inst. is teaching to you. Definately, ask questions!!! Your inst. should be able to tell you what the moves are. Unfortunately, not all inst. can do this. Usually I like to give my kata example here. This is something that I have encountered during my training. It goes something like this.

Me- "What is this move for in the kata, and what is it doing?"

Inst- "Well, thats done because.............well, because thats the way its done!"

To me, that is a poor example, but I hope you understand where I'm going with this. Things to look for when watching someone. Stances, power, form, etc. Those are a few of the many.

I really don't enjoy teaching at all, as I hate being put on the spot and when I have to teach the younger kids, they are so annoying, and I really don't have it in me to be strict.

Being put on the spot is your inst. way of giving you a little challenge, you know, to keep you thinking. Yes, young kids can be hard to teach due to short attention span, etc. You might want to try the adults.

Basically I just want to learn, because thats the only reason I started and being able to take care of myself and gaining confidence. I don't want to teach! But I'm not about to say anything to my instructor! I'm just hoping he notices how bad I am at it and he will see that he shouldn't ask me!

If you're not having the desire to teach, dont wait for him to notice, YOU need to speak to him SOON!!!!

Our grading is coming up soon and I don't think I'm quite ready for it. I think My instructor hinted as much at the last one and I know he was talking about me because my forms aren't really that good. Because I have moved to a smaller place its hard to practice as I don't have enough room to fully practice all of my forms the way they should be done. And there are a couple of forms that the other senior grades know, an extra empty hand form and a Rice Flail form. Even though my instructor never showed me that form with the rice flails (nunchukus) I found a website that teaches how to use them and I have got pretty good on my own. While they were all performing that particular form I was so tempted to show off what I had learnt myself. Its funny because my instructor doesn't know I have taught myself how to use the Rice flail.

If you're not ready, again, YOU need to tell him this. It'll be better than not saying anything and then doing poorly on the test. I would rather not test and refine my material than test and not feel confident doing it. As for not having the room...you may want to do some outside training. What about going the class earlier and training before class or staying later??

Mike

O

OC Kid

One reason a instructor will let you critic and students forms or technique is to help YOU understand the technique or form. If you didnt know what to look for then you didnt understand the form and the requirements of form.

A example was the heel of the foot achored to the floor, leg straight, hand in right position, did their head go up and down while moving from stance to stance..

What ever is considered good form in your system you as a upper rank should know it. If you dont then you need to talk to your instructor.

R

rmcrobertson

The coordination between a) not knowing anything about what to look for in a form, b) strong resistance to teaching, c) worrying about tests rather than focusing on knowledge, d) looking up nunchuck stuff on the Internet rather than learning the forms that've been taught, is what should be worried about.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
The coordination between a) not knowing anything about what to look for in a form, b) strong resistance to teaching, c) worrying about tests rather than focusing on knowledge, d) looking up nunchuck stuff on the Internet rather than learning the forms that've been taught, is what should be worried about.
RObertson makes a good point:

a. Ask your instructor (or a fellow instructor if they are more approachable) for a clear set of standards or criteria that you should be using to evaluate the forms. Having the answers to questions like: What do you want them to get and how am I going to teach that to them? can be very helpful. Find out the goal and you might feel more in control.

b. This is a question for contemplation NOT to criticise you. Chew on it for a while and answer it for yourself, not me here in a public forum if you don't want:

IS IT REALLY TEACHING THAT YOU HATE OR IS IT THAT THE TEACHING PROCESS FORCES YOU TO FACE THOSE THINGS ABOUT YOURSELF THAT YOU DON'T REALLY LIKE OR SEE AS WEAKNESSES (LIKE BEING UNCOMFORTABLE WITH THE ROLE OF AUTHORITY FIGURE)? I would say keep a journal or at least do a post session evaluation of your teaching to target what you can do to improve. Leadership is hard and you are fast learning that there is no such thing as a natural leader. EVERYONE has to learn how to be in charge of something/someone else. Believe me, you aren't alone.

c. AMEN! Tests are SUPPOSE to be evaluations that see what you know at a particular point NOT the thing that you prepare for (in a training environment, civil servant exams and such are a different matter). Teaching students to 'the test' shifts the focus away from knowledge... I really get irritated when that happens in a learning environment. It can be a necessary evil at times, but not a standard practice.

d. I think Robertson is referring to students and motivation: They may not be 'intrinsically motivated' to pursue their training with a zeal that would make your job easier. They mess around, they don't practice, they don't pay attention or try their best..... just comes with the job.

I am not in the room, but I would say based on your posts on teaching here and in the past, I would say you should try finding some "positive assertiveness" information to help you break out of the idea that "authority" means "hard ***."

Set guidelines and stick to them. Praise the heck out of good behavior ... there is good info on this stuff through the internet.

Disclaimer: I AM NOT SAYING YOU ARE LIKE THIS

But there is a tendency to 'blame the student/system' for why you as a teacher aren't getting the results out of yourself or your students that you think should be happening. I think it is a psychological 'comfort food' technique of deflection so that you can avoid looking inward sometimes. I have done it, will do it again and I know teachers who have time share condominiums in this mentallity (they usually are not well respected or loved by peer or students).

There is a line where it is the students who are responsible for the condition of the class and on the other side is the teacher's responsibility. The teacher will ALWAYS have the lion's share of that responsibility.

DON"T QUITE, because you will be relieved at first, but then you will walk into that class with that nagging feeling that you failed (yourself, your students, your instructor...). Channel that 'fighting spirit' of martial arts into this problem and 'beat yourself' by 'winning' the battle between your "hate it" self and your "learn and grow from it" self. Growth always comes with some form of discomfort or growing pains.

You seem to care a great deal (about the class and your development) if you quite on this, you will feel worse than you do thinking that you aren't good at it and that you 'hate it.'

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tony. Every single instructor has gone through these time's when they first started to give feedback to there fellow students. Teaching is like drinking a cup of water, at first you must drink through a bottle then a spill proof cup and then you start to use a real cup and at first you spill and dribble all over the place and finally it becomes second nature stick with it and it two will become second nature.... GOD BLESS AMERICA
icon7.gif

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
if you don't like teaching, your in a bit of trouble...because that's where the martial art's road leads...

once you've spent some time learning your art it's time to start sharing it with others...usually, first off under your instructors guidance...then by yourself...

G

Gary Crawford

Tony,I am so sorry you are still not enjoying teaching.What everyone has said so far is completely right.We have discussed this before.Could it be that who you are teaching are your instructors students and not yours?Does that make you feel uncomfortable and self-concious?You do need to have a long talk with your instructor about this.Teaching is so important to your MA development.I wish I knew a better solution.Good luck.

Storm

Green Belt
Reaction score
I too agree with what everyone has said here.

Not everyone is born a teacher nor do you necessarily enjoy it first off. When you first start teaching (especially if you have a lack of confidence in your own ablities) you have thoughts go through your mind like, I can't do this, what right do I have to show these people how to do things when I am not perfect myself, what if I make a mistake I'll look like an idiot and so on.
Sometimes if Im having a bad day and tired I still have the odd doubt but remember you have been in their place and you do have something to share.

Children are hard to teach but when you stand back and watch them for a while to critique what and how they are doing. You can learn from them, same from the adults. When you see a person improve due to your help it does feel good. When the children have your trust and are performing a move with a quick glance to you with that look of "am I doing OK" you know you are on the right track. They might not turn out to be the best MA around but that doesnt matter as long as they are improving.

Having to explain moves why, how where etc is also a learning tool for yourself. If you dont know the answer then say so, find out and then go back with it. It does not make you look like a fool.

It is all part of learning and making yourself a better MA'ist.

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I hate teaching people who dont want to learn. If someone is making a good effort to learn the art, then I enjoy teaching it to them. When you have those little kids who are there only because there parents are making them go, that gets very annoying because I constantly have to yap at them to behave, man I hate that. I dont have time to discilpline peoples kids for them.
Normally what I have been doing is, when a little kid is acting up and making it hard on the other kids and adults who are really wanting to learn, I will pull up a few chairs and make them sit and watch the rest of the class without one peep. I have had a few dirty looks from the parents, but ooooo well!
I do love to teach, but only those who want to learn. If you want to learn, there is nothing I wont do to help you along that path, but if you dont and are wasting my time and the other students time, then I have no respect for them, even if they are kids.

Zujitsuka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Rob Broad said:
All I know is that you learn a lot more by teaching than you do as a student n the class.

I somewhat disagree Rob. I'm not disputing your statement, but it is not always true.

In my dojo, I often times end up working with the underbelts, and at times, am very frustrated that I am not learning from the instructor and practicing what I've learned with my classmates. Sure I get to review the basics by going over them with newbies, but I don't have the opportunity to DO techniques or spar with them because they can't slap out, have poor technique, are deconditioned, etc.

What frustrates me the most about some of my classmates, upperbelts included, is that some are not in shape. This makes it harder to teach certain things because they don't have the physical base to execute movements properly. I'm not saying that you have to be in as well conditioned as a world class athlete, but attain a general level of physical fitness.

Also, as a former high school teacher, when you are focused on developing lessons for students, your own growth stops. When I was a teacher, I took in less information during that one year period (app.) than I ever did during my adult life.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Zujitsuka said:
I somewhat disagree Rob. I'm not disputing your statement, but it is not always true.

In my dojo, I often times end up working with the underbelts, and at times, am very frustrated that I am not learning from the instructor and practicing what I've learned with my classmates. Sure I get to review the basics by going over them with newbies, but I don't have the opportunity to DO techniques or spar with them because they can't slap out, have poor technique, are deconditioned, etc.

What frustrates me the most about some of my classmates, upperbelts included, is that some are not in shape. This makes it harder to teach certain things because they don't have the physical base to execute movements properly. I'm not saying that you have to be in as well conditioned as a world class athlete, but attain a general level of physical fitness.

Also, as a former high school teacher, when you are focused on developing lessons for students, your own growth stops. When I was a teacher, I took in less information during that one year period (app.) than I ever did during my adult life.

Yup, I gotta agree with ya on that one. Granted, as I have said before, teaching is a part of being an upper rank, but it also has to be divided equally. Teaching is a great way to practice the moves, due to the fact that you're showing them to someone else, therefore, you're getting some training in, but if you spend too much time teaching and not enough time learning, then yes, I agree that your own growth slows or stops all together.

Mike

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
if you spend all your time teaching, yes you're physical growth will probably atrophy, but your understanding of what your doing will grow immensely...but as you reach higher and higher levels in the martial arts it your responsibility to share what you have learned...to counter the "problem" of spending a lot of time with lower ranks working on basics with them you should be spending more time working on your more advanced material by yourself...as you progress you should be spending more time working on things outside the gym...the dojo isn't the only place you can train

Zujitsuka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
bignick said:
if you spend all your time teaching, yes you're physical growth will probably atrophy, but your understanding of what your doing will grow immensely...but as you reach higher and higher levels in the martial arts it your responsibility to share what you have learned...to counter the "problem" of spending a lot of time with lower ranks working on basics with them you should be spending more time working on your more advanced material by yourself...as you progress you should be spending more time working on things outside the gym...the dojo isn't the only place you can train

Hey Big Nick, I feel what you're saying. However, some advanced things, like actual application, cannot be practiced alone as you need a partner. Also, it can be quite tiring and painful to regularly be a newbie's uke until they get it right. They can't really practice on each other because they are all new and do not yet possess the necessary breakfall skills.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Zujitsuka said:
it can be quite tiring and painful to regularly be a newbie's uke until they get it right

you better believe it...but that's all the more reason to help them progress...so you're not getting bruised up anymore

obviously there will always be more new students....but you do the best you can

R

rmcrobertson

Ah. So some folks think that learning techniques and, "working on your own stuff," is all there is to learning a martial art? Which means that teaching is boring, because "those of lower rank," don't know what you do?

Really. Well, there's your problem, right there.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
Ah. So some folks think that learning techniques and, "working on your own stuff," is all there is to learning a martial art? Which means that teaching is boring, because "those of lower rank," don't know what you do?

Well, I'm only speaking for myself on this one, but I think what is trying to be said here, is that its important to keep an equal balance of teaching and learning.

Mike

Zujitsuka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:

Not really. But like MJS said, there has to be a balance between teaching and learning. One shouldn't mind helping underbelts. We were all underbelts at one time we're grateful to those who have helped us develop. As a matter of fact, I'm total newbie to Bagua and I'm hoping that my classmates help me out.

However, lot of people get caught up in only teaching, and then they stop growing as martial artists. The founder of the McDonald's franchise, Ray Kroc, said it best, "When you're green you're growing, but when you're ripe, all you can do is rot."

Latest Discussions