Has The UFC Changed The Way You Train?

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you look at the UFC today compared to when it first started. You see no 1 art will do the job. The ufc opened eyes to training 1 what you learn and 2 what you need. Stand up clinch and ground has to be looked at to round your training off on a stronger note. A person does not need a large tool box of tools to be a good fighter. A small set works very well aginst most people. Its good to train the other aspects for traing But on a personal side you are training for your needs what ever that may be. I believe the ufc helped expose a weakness in over looked training methods And several arts have certion tools that help in the different areas They were just over looked more Because stand up was the main routine Being promoted for sometime. BJJ people are seeing its bad habits now also. But it is still a good art. We just can not stay in the same box and fail to see whats out there with out an open mind.

Many of us were aware of this before the UFC, leading to the phrase, "American Eclectic"...indicating a mish-mosh of using what is useful.

airdawg

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have always enjoyed training with practitioners from other MA's, but I would have to say my training has been altered to train with the ever growing popular BJJ, JKD, MTKB and the Filipino arts practitioners.

I think it has been good and bad for the MA's. Good, forces competitive schools to teach and train in more realistic ways. Bad, every one is beginning to see sport as "real"

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Many of us were aware of this before the UFC, leading to the phrase, "American Eclectic"...indicating a mish-mosh of using what is useful.
True to a point it just was being worked on at a smaller level. And the more TMA by looking into what the UFC helped point out was able to go back to there art And work on the other levels there art showed rather then just the stand up.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can't really seperate UFC enough to guess how it has impacted by training. In other words, it has always sort of been there for me. I started martial arts in 1985 officially, but my grandpa coached me into and through that, and he was a boxer. The owner of the karate school in which I trained was a professional kickboxer. We already worked out with wrestlers and wrestled as a part of the normal class. I was already a wrestler by the time of the first UFC.

When the first UFC came along, I remember thinking that it was going to be a boxing/kickboxing/wrestling match. I already had my ear to the ground and had heard of the vale tudo type matches and "shootfighting" and some of the other stuff that was already around prior to the UFC. So I figured that it would just be like that, with some small stylistic differences. I remember being completely suprised, even as a kid, as to how totally unprepared many of the fighters were. It didn't even occur to me that people would go into a match like that without knowing at least some basic boxing and grappling skills, or knowing what to expect. I thought that was nutz.

So for me, it has been in the shadow for so long that I can't really think about a landmark experience for me where my whole perspective about fighting changed.

I will say that the MMA actual training and conditioning methods have evolved what I do a lot. Some really good exercise science goes into preparing these fighters, and that is something that we can all benefit from. I also like to watch the fights to see what submissions, and what techniques are working for the fighters. There are a lot of "techniques" in the martial arts, with only a small percentage of them viable for fighting, in my opinion. Submissions are no different. There are a host of submissions out there; but there are really only a handful of which the fighters are consistantly caught in. So, I like to see what is working, what isn't, and the fights can really help with that too. I remember thinking that a flying knee wasn't really a technique that could work ever, until I saw quite a few knockouts happened from it! So, one can always learn something from watching... :)

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Looking at kenpo yes it has its tools. looking at the mid 1980s People were exposing more evolving . But when the UFC exposed its concept. Stand up alone was found weak. NOW this was certion rules included. But UFC did take people thought to what is real. That is You have to train hard to be good No playing train. And alot of what is taught in any art will not work for all who train it. Keep your own personal set of tools down to a small number Work them well And train the others But know they do not fit your needs. We can say all we want about our different art we train. It only counts when you really need it. And if it was not part of who you are yours Then it fails to protect when needed. UFC is not The proof it is just helping to show fighting has many ways to get the job done. We all like how we train I can say I can improve my ground game And keep the other going like it is This would only meke me better. One I am not all that young any more And If I could have trained wiser earlyer I would be better now. We can all say this M/A is about us Not some art name Kenpo karate JKD ect. A good street fighter has beat many a M/A fighter and they never had 1 lesson. Train smart train hard and anything is better.

Latest Discussions