Thanks, UFC!

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
there's always someone somewhere ready to point the finger at something that in reality is a lot less dangerous than going to school.

the guy was just teaching his students how to "drop" someone when the **** hits the fan ending the scuffle there and then with no outright and lasting damage. i know this cos i've been put on my butt enough times over the years - it just teaches you to be more careful next time lol :)

what's wrong with giving demo's this way - i didn't see any horror in the faces of the students watching or the guy taking one for queen and country either so the video is IMO misguided.

where's the video showing riots against a particular state and the government sending troops in to sort the mess for them ?

for me this is too biased and a more balanced approach should have been given by the guy with the camera.

donna

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
there's always someone somewhere ready to point the finger at something that in reality is a lot less dangerous than going to school.

the guy was just teaching his students how to "drop" someone when the **** hits the fan ending the scuffle there and then with no outright and lasting damage. i know this cos i've been put on my butt enough times over the years - it just teaches you to be more careful next time lol :)

what's wrong with giving demo's this way - i didn't see any horror in the faces of the students watching or the guy taking one for queen and country either so the video is IMO misguided.

where's the video showing riots against a particular state and the government sending troops in to sort the mess for them ?

for me this is too biased and a more balanced approach should have been given by the guy with the camera.

donna

Yeah I have a personal issue with grinding or hitting a guy who is basically standing there. I just don't see the point. Hitting hard does not make a compliant demo any more legitimate.

The issue is you can't be more carefull. If the other guy knows what you are going to do because he told you to do it then he is very likely to be able to capitalise on it. So responding hard seems pointless.

This one is a bit more pronounced.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ll56DA6YdHE

OP
M

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey all, I just want to apologize for this thread and the rather biased and uneducated opinion I presented. I was in a fairly angry mood due to some other things when I wrote it and I really wasn't thinking as rationally as I should have, so my head was pretty far up my rear.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been doing and teaching traditional martial arts for 23 years. MMA/UFC hasn't really impacted my program at all. Every now and again I get a walk-in who has never heard of Hapkido but loves MMA or UFC. Usually they watch for awhile or maybe even try a class and then they move on.

I teach what I teach and it appeals to some people and it doesn't appeal to others, that isn't my problem. What I do works pretty darn well out in the world and isn't ideal for competitive fighting. That's okay.

I don't mind UFC folks and I like some of the ideas they espouse, like training under pressure. I can't say I am terribly interested in the fights. But prior to UFC I was also not very interested in watching boxing, or football, or any other competitive sport.

They have a saying on the Appalachian trail; hike your own hike, not someone else's. I think it applies to martial arts too. Do your thing and don’t get over concerned with what others are doing.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The more publicity you get, the more people you will attract, whether or not they're the type you want. Most bullies and thugs who take a class will either 1) wash out, because they lack the discipline and diligence to progress or 2) reform, because they learn those skills. Some may stay the way they are. The thing is, kids have always wanted to take martial arts so they can "learn to beat other people up", so UFC is nothing new.

I will also say that I understand that as much as I train, someone bigger than me who intends me harm can train just as hard, which is why I don't just rely on martial arts for self defense. I usually have an equalizer within reach in case I run into real trouble.

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
there's too much time and effort involved in training for a UFC fight for most people - i remember a long time ago when MMA really started coming to the fore and everyone wanted in until the instructor started beasting everyone :) it was surprising just how few people turned up for the next lesson :)

nowadays all i see in every gym i go to are dedicated people wanting to learn, progress to the next stage and if they really want to - into the ring for the inter club fights and maybe then if they put in enough hard work pro fights.

the OP just gave UFC / MMA a very bad name by going with the media perception of this aspect of the sport. muay thai training is prolly more violent than most ufc / mma fights LoL ;)

Latest Discussions