Has anyone tried exhibiting at a (juried) craft show?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had a crazy (and perhaps premature) idea that I'd like to try exhibiting some of my landscapes at a craft show.

The show is juried, which means you have to apply and submit 5 examples of your work in order to be an exhibitor. I have not applied so all of this may be moot.

Has anyone tried something like this? My sister does a lot of craft sales, but her work (flower arrangements) is a lot different than photography.

I haven't, nor do I know anyone who has, but I say go for it Carol! What have you got to lose? :asian:

Not yet, but we're considering it. Closest we got to competition so far was last years county fair. 4 in, 2 got honorable mentions. Other 2 might have had we mounted them better.

I had a crazy (and perhaps premature) idea that I'd like to try exhibiting some of my landscapes at a craft show.

The show is juried, which means you have to apply and submit 5 examples of your work in order to be an exhibitor. I have not applied so all of this may be moot.

Has anyone tried something like this? My sister does a lot of craft sales, but her work (flower arrangements) is a lot different than photography.

I have a good friend who does wood carvings and she goes to shows like that all the time. I can put you in touch with her if you'd like. She's a very nice person and I'm sure she would be willing to give you some tips advice and whatnot.

As for photography, my friend Jackie Buck, whom I pointed Bob at the other day, does a lot of exhibitions and enters contests and such. She's won a lot too. Perhaps she could give some tips in that direction.

I have a good friend who does wood carvings and she goes to shows like that all the time. I can put you in touch with her if you'd like. She's a very nice person and I'm sure she would be willing to give you some tips advice and whatnot.

As for photography, my friend Jackie Buck, whom I pointed Bob at the other day, does a lot of exhibitions and enters contests and such. She's won a lot too. Perhaps she could give some tips in that direction.

That would be great, Bill. :asian: I've bookmarked her blog, her photos are astounding!

I found out a bit more about the show in Connecticut...its actually out of my league...for now. I thought it boutique-ish, its actually quite large.

What they are looking for is exhibitors that are already on the circuit, they want at least one snapshot of a booth from a past show. Uhhh......I don't even know how to mount photos on foam board, let alone have a booth arrangement. :eek:

I think I'll start smaller. :D

Not yet, but we're considering it. Closest we got to competition so far was last years county fair. 4 in, 2 got honorable mentions. Other 2 might have had we mounted them better.

Lets chat tomorrow if you are free, I'd like Silver Star Web Designs to help me build a presence on teh interwebs. :D

I'll be around most of the day. Buzz me whenever is good.

When mounting on foam board, practice, practice, practice, or pay to have a pro do it for you. They seemed to deduct points for a lot of nitpicky but understandable things. We're considering MPix for this right now, haven't ordered any samples yet though.
http://mpix.com/Mounting.aspx

Latest Discussions

Back