As a martial artist I don't think full contact is the only way but semi-contact will do pretty much the same job with less risk of injury.
I am not 100% sure, but Wing-Chun where I live, is usually never full-contact, people wear pads, protectors or stop shortly before the body, which can look and be pretty ridiculous in a sparring match.
I think we can all agree that this way of training is better than no training at all since in a real situation, your body is pumped with adrenaline anyway.
I meant full-contact as in training with a resisting partner. Pads, no pads, some pads, fight club... whatever. There are obviously varying degrees of contact. For example, both MMA and Muay Thai have gloves and are considered full-contact (according to IFMA rules).
But what do you think about the techniques used ?
Tough question, I'm not sure how to answer that. IMO, there aren't really any stand-alone "techniques". So to me, it's like asking what I think about the entire system. In many aspects, it is simply about developing the punch.
Wing Chun at its core is more a way of training for fighting than it is a group of techniques or pre-determined answers. We build skill utilizing all of the concepts and principles of the system in unison, creating what I often refer to as an "action". Some of which are; adapt to the opponent, attack the attack, always pursue center, angle to take position, hands on top, attack and defense in a single action, responsive footwork, direct and efficient, etc⦠All of this is driven by mechanics that start with the vertical punch and proper elbow position.
In this way of thinking, potential applications are directly dependent on a greater and greater ability to implement the skills, concepts and structure of the system into a single reaction.