Hapkido Schools

phatbway

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
@ my TKD dojan, you start learning HKD when you attain Light Green belt.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
@ my TKD dojan, you start learning HKD when you attain Light Green belt.

You start learning HAPKIDO or hapkido techniques?

There IS a big, BIG difference.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
hapkido is its own separate art. Just as much as tkd and judo are their ouwn.

Tae Kwon Do has 1 and 3 step sparring and so does hapkido. Tae Kwon Do has self-defense......but they are not hapkido techniques.

Like zDom would agree with, in Moo Sul Kwan where I instruct Judo and study Hapkido and Tae Kwon Do. All of our schools teach Tae Kwon Do, 4 schools teach hapkido, and only 2 schools teach judo. I just happen to be the highest ranking active judo instructor.

hapkidonet

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Three "pure" Hapkido schools in San Francisco, and I estimate another 6 in the greater Bay Area. So 9 altogether, and I know for a fact that there are at least a dozen in Los Angeles, which makes me think that the estimate of 30 to 40 in the nation is very low.

True, it's not what most martial arts students are looking for. It's simply too hard, too much work, too much pain. But hey, that's ok. I get more face time with the instructors, and I'm less likely to confront someone who knows my techniques.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Gosh,

I gotta go with my friend z on this. If it hurts it's hapkido. If it doesn't then it isn't.

Hapkido as my father, zDom's teacher, once told me the following:"Hapkido was meant to mangle and maim quickly so you could just walk away."

While in the Marine Corps I used our 1st 25 son mok soo and eui bok soo to save my life I have no idea how many times.

If you want theory, research, and philosophy then that comes. However, you won't start to hit these realizations until upper belt so just rep after rep after rep, called sweat equity is the key.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You start learning HAPKIDO or hapkido techniques?

There IS a big, BIG difference.
Very big. Our school has hapkido and taekwondo with hapkido-ish techniques mixed in. I do both and the classes are very, very different animals. Love them both, and as I have advanced in hapkido (all the way to yellow belt, wooohoooo!!) I have found that I enjoy it more and more, for both some of the same reasons that I enjoy taekwondo and for some different reasons as well.

Daniel

Hapkiyoosool

White Belt
Reaction score
As far I know we have only 2 open(to the public) in the USA schools and multiple people teaching on military bases throughout the world. We have many in Korea. It would be safe to say that 99.9% our our instructors were active duty military or still are.

It is true though, there are not very many pure Hapkido schools out there.

Last edited by a moderator: