Hapkido Schools

OP
D

Disco

My instructor was classically trained for 15 years.

Hollywood, if you don't mind me asking, if you were already training with a Hapkido instructor, what brought you to ICHF?

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
First to Mr. Kodanjaclay,
It was not my intention sir to infer you, however I can see how that inference could be made, for that I apologize. I've found in my dealings on this message board and in the real world, although intent may be good, how it comes off in print can be something very different.

Disco,
I've trained CHKD from the beginning. From what I've gathered, and I by no means speak for him, my instructor found something that worked better for him personaly. And that was the ICHF.

I think in the dealings with the ICHF, I've found that very few people IMO realize what it is for, and what it offers. I know that my martial education has indeed been intense, and complete. I've seen "Traditional" HKD schools with a much smaller grasp on what HKD has to offer then I do. The reason being it's not the "style" although that can have a huge impact, it's the teacher and what they decide to teach.

OP
D

Disco

Hollywood, thanks for the reply. I realize that you would be talking for someone else (your instructor), but has he said or have you heard some of the "found something that worked better for him personaly" aspects of combat hapkido. Just curious as to what he found after all those years of "classical training".

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
One thing I really hate doing is spouting rhetoric. But at the ICHF website, it has a list of some of the things CHKD is and why it's done the way it's done. Many of those would cover it. In addition the ICHF as a federation fits with the way we belive our head organization should be run.

Kodanjaclay

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Apology accepted. Like Disco, I must wonder why someone would go to CHKD if they have had years of traditional HKD. I suppose I can see if for political reasons. Meaning that if for some reason your instructor had been separated from his support structure, he may feel a need for membership somewhere. I cannot see going from traditional Hapkido to CHKD. CHKD is more along the lines of straight hoshinsul as opposed to Hapkido.

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kodanjaclay said:
CHKD is more along the lines of straight hoshinsul as opposed to Hapkido.
So more of a part then a whole? *thinks* Hmm, I've never thought of it like that before. That's rather enlighting. I must think on that :)

OP
D

Disco

From the information listed on the web site, they are affiliated with Master J.R. West of Jackson Mississippi. Always hear nothing but "Good" things about him and the organization. If your thinking about taking instruction, you'd be in good hands. :asian:

Kodanjaclay

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You are refering to Master Jere Hilland. I have had nothing but good things said about him. In fact, he was a voice of support when I was down and out. Hilland Kwanjangnim did not know me, but was willing to be a support anyhow, and made the offer that I could train with him whenever I was in town.

In short, I strongly endorse him and would encourage you to go to his school. The group he is affiliated with is top rate. I say go for it.

OP
W

whalen

phlaw said:
http://www.hapkidoselfdefense.com/

Does anyone know anything about this instructor in Fargo?

I have heard alot of good stuff locally about him.

I have personall not checked him out yet./

Jere is a top notch Hapkidoin i have been on the mat with him several times .

You cannot go wrong with him

Hal Whalen

OP
K

kwanjang

Jere KJN is a good practitioner, and a nice human being. Been on the mat with him as a fellow Instructor at JR West's seminars a number of times. Can't go wrong with Jere and/or USKMAF.

OP
D

Disco

By chodan, in the Yon Mu Kwan, people know about 400 unique techniques.

Bruce, first let me say, glad you enjoyed your trip to Korea. Now if I may, I'm not actually concerned with numbers of techniques, more with what techniques actually constitute a true Hapkido cirriculum. As was stipulated prior, there are many kwans and they all teach differently. Is there a basic core curriculum floating around in the Hapkido world, that is accepted by everyone? If I came to you, looking to join your group and you naturally would want to test me, lets say for 1st Dan and it's a given that I don't know the Yon Mu Kwan curriculum, what would you want to see?

This question is not only for Bruce, but for anyone else that would like to offer their viewpoint(s).

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Gotcha!!

Okay, I think I know where you are going now. In that case, what I would do is take a look at GM Kwang Sik Myungs' book on the WHF hyungs. The reason I mention this book in particular is that it starts of with the WHF/YMK kebonsu, or fundamental techniques. Just about every style of Hapkido comes back to these basic techniques. There are ten of them and some styles may have 12 or 15, but the rest of their curriculum are usualy permutations of these techniques. Think of it a little like the curriculums of Aikido in which various styles have different types of executions and focus but the material all comes back to the same handful of techniques. Even in the shift from the yu sool level of Hapkido to the hapkiyusool level of execution the techniques are essentially the same though the focus and execution have been modified. For what its worth....

Best Wishes,

Bruce

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dear Stuart:

Actually I am going to do better than that. I am putting together an article on the experience which I hope TKD TIMES will pick up. If not I will probably publish it on one of these websites. The goal is to get people to understand how easy it is to get over to Korea and experience things firsthand rather than continue to simply take the report of someone else. I wouldn't trade the experience I have for the last 12 days for anything. I'm just sorry that it took so long for me to make the trip. I would encourage a lot of the youngsters reading this NOT to make the same mistake as did I. Take yer butt in both hands and take the plunge. Its not at all as difficult as people might think. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

OP
M

Master Todd Miller

Bruce is right. It is not as difficult as one might think to go to Korea for training, sight seeing and just experiencing the Korean culture!

Just do some research ask people that have been for any thoughts or advice they might have and most important find the right people to visit. I am a member of the Jungki Kwan in Taegu and they treat me and my students that have traveled to Korea with me as family. Gennerally speaking the Korean people are very family focused and for the most part are very kind and warm.

Take care :asian:

greendragon

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have talked to and seen Jere do Hapkido in person and he is a top notch Hapkido player. If I were in North Dakota and had a chance to train with him I would go for it, he's a good guy and down to earth AND knows his stuff.
Michael Tomlinson
5th Dan Sin Moo Hapkido

alexasha

White Belt
Reaction score
For Minnesota, there's the Combat Hapkido school that I train at in the Minneapolis metro area. There is also a traditional school up north more. I'm not sure about any others.
Can you give me coordinates for this school or any hapkido school in Minneapolis area?

Sambone

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just wanted to say that I attend school here in Wyoming, since this is a thread about where different schools are located. I attend Kyuki-do mainly, but my instructor offers a Hapkido class twice a week as well. It seems you all are very passionate for Hapkido. I must say that I wasn't at first. But after two years of practice now, I love it. I finally found out what all the craze is about. Anyway, just wanted to say hi.

Hapki80

White Belt
Reaction score
I know there is only one hapkido school in IL that is recognized by the KHF and it's in Vernon Hills, IL

Latest Discussions