Requirements to start Hapkido

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've seen some rather glaring quality control and performance issues with Tae Kwon Do comparatively speaking. It's definitely buyer beware out there. I've met TKD and TSD people that were phenomenal and I've walked into places and turned right around and walked out again. Massive orgs don't guarantee quality. You would think some level of oversight would take place but in my experience it's just not.
Small independents are no guarantee of quality either.

The thing people don't understand with large organizations is that their main purpose is to facilitate things that small independents usually can't. National and international events require large organizations, particularly large sporting events. The WTF, FIE (fencing), and FIK (kendo) are all examples of this, and each has national and local affiliates that feed into the international structure (USAT, USFA, and AUSKF being the United States national governing body for each of these sports/arts). Without competition, there's almost no need for such organizations, though they do exist for arts that don't have that element.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sorry, just saw this. I don't have a video of it, but it may be online somewhere. Like so many things in Hapkido, the feet are very important. I have seen two methods. In one, you push off with your rear foot, either stepping into the kick, or from a stationary stance. The other, you rotate by spinning with both feet. You then drop as you spin around, and hook kick to the opponents ankle, as you support yourself by falling forward on both hands. That may sound odd, but it gives great stability, so more power, and allows one to more easily spring back to an upright position. I think the spin gives a little more speed and power, while stepping forward allows moving with an opponent that is retreating, especially from a kick.

EDIT: Took a quick look and found this.

Low spinning heel kick (?? ????) - YouTube

I love that technique. It was first taught to me by a Kung Fu buddy, it was taught as an "Iron Broom". I used to use it in competition, especially against kickers. (Never once missed with it) Then, of course, times changed, and they outlawed all sweeps. I think they were trying for a milder, nicer style of fighting. In fact I think they wanted us all to wear dresses and wave at each other instead of striking. :)

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sorry, just saw this. I don't have a video of it, but it may be online somewhere. Like so many things in Hapkido, the feet are very important. I have seen two methods. In one, you push off with your rear foot, either stepping into the kick, or from a stationary stance. The other, you rotate by spinning with both feet. You then drop as you spin around, and hook kick to the opponents ankle, as you support yourself by falling forward on both hands. That may sound odd, but it gives great stability, so more power, and allows one to more easily spring back to an upright position. I think the spin gives a little more speed and power, while stepping forward allows moving with an opponent that is retreating, especially from a kick.

EDIT: Took a quick look and found this.

Low spinning heel kick (?? ????) - YouTube
I totally missed this post! At about the 028 mark, where he slows down and shows the rotation/crouch prior to the kick, is how I learned this kick.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I love that technique. It was first taught to me by a Kung Fu buddy, it was taught as an "Iron Broom". I used to use it in competition, especially against kickers. (Never once missed with it) Then, of course, times changed, and they outlawed all sweeps. I think they were trying for a milder, nicer style of fighting. In fact I think they wanted us all to wear dresses and wave at each other instead of striking. :)

I did find that touted as being taught in two other arts when I did my quick search. Since Hapkido acknowledges it is a newer art, I doubt many Hapkido schools would try to say Hapkido invented that. Many/most strikes, kicks, grapples, blocks, whatever, have been around for a very long time, and it would be difficult to impossible to say what art invented it.

Anyway, like you, I really like that kick. Mostly I guess because you don't see it often, it is not expected, and no matter, is difficult to defend against. I was always surprised by the amount of students that didn't seem to feel that was a good weapon in their arsenal. Perhaps it is because as you alluded to, it is a little more difficult to accomplish in a dress. :rofl:

marysson

White Belt
Reaction score
It might be an age requirement instead of a rank thing? That would make sense, but not the rank part.

Shajikfer

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I know not all schools that teach Hapkido will do this but I once knew of a school that taught both Tae Kwon Do and Hapkido. In order to train in Hapkido at that school first you had to get a black belt in Tae Kwon Do there. I do know that Hapkido does use some of the techniques from Tae Kwon Do but to even start as a white belt in Hapkido at that school you first had to get a black belt in their Tae Kwon Do. I wonder if other schools have that same requirement.

My school was very similar; they taught Chung Do Kwan alongside Tang Soo Do, and Hapkido.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
My school was very similar; they taught Chung Do Kwan alongside Tang Soo Do, and Hapkido.

Right, but did your school require any training or rank in any of their arts before you could train in their other arts?

Shajikfer

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yes. Hapkido techniques were introduced around 1st dan, but there was never you HAVE to be a 1st dan. It's just they were gradually implemented at classes. Tang Soo Do techniques were taught alongside Chung Do Kwan.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did find that touted as being taught in two other arts when I did my quick search. Since Hapkido acknowledges it is a newer art, I doubt many Hapkido schools would try to say Hapkido invented that. Many/most strikes, kicks, grapples, blocks, whatever, have been around for a very long time, and it would be difficult to impossible to say what art invented it.

Anyway, like you, I really like that kick. Mostly I guess because you don't see it often, it is not expected, and no matter, is difficult to defend against. I was always surprised by the amount of students that didn't seem to feel that was a good weapon in their arsenal. Perhaps it is because as you alluded to, it is a little more difficult to accomplish in a dress. :rofl:

Hapkido is an art built on the shoulders of giants. I would go so far as to say little or nothing in Hapkido was invented, it's all lifted from other styles. It's the blending of it all into a cohesive set of awesomness that is what makes it special. I love it..

Latest Discussions