Habemus Papam! we have a Pope

Status
Not open for further replies.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
Habemus Papam! we have a Pope! Pope Francis and it will be interesting to see how the Swiss Guard will have to adapt. They are very very well trained in Unarmed and armed combat of course!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ah well - I rather hoped they'd all come to their senses and realise that so much blood had been spilt and time wasted in the name of the Holy Roman Empire (sorry, Catholic Church) that it was time to admit it was all just rewritten pre-Babylonian myths. Maybe next time.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Ah well - I rather hoped they'd all come to their senses and realise that so much blood had been spilt and time wasted in the name of the Holy Roman Empire (sorry, Catholic Church) that it was time to admit it was all just rewritten pre-Babylonian myths. Maybe next time.
:rolleyes: :lfao: $smoking.jpg

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nope - can't think of anything witty to say to that. Tell you what, let's just agree that all religion is based on fear and ignorance and leave it at that.

Actually, after a bit of reflection ... nope ... still can't think of anything witty to say :lol:. 'Cos Elder's right :D.

By the way, in my usual English way, I just want to point out that much as I genuinely do have real problems with the political structures of organised religions, individuals spiritual beliefs are their own affair. Some of those beliefs might tickle my funny bone on the inside but, usually, I will not lambast a person just because they believe something that I, personally, find unsupportable or ludicrous. It is only when those beliefs lead to the "kill the unbeliever!" that I have a tendency to get up on my hind legs.

Addendum: Cap'n Bob - please get a proper spell checker on this site that recognises English words :D.

Last edited:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sell the Vatican. Feed the poor. What would the aggrandized version of Jesus that was written into the Bible do?

Ediaan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Habemus Papam! we have a Pope! Pope Francis and it will be interesting to see how the Swiss Guard will have to adapt. They are very very well trained in Unarmed and armed combat of course!
Yes. I wonder how well they can fight in those funky uniforms....?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Maybe we can keep the Catholic Church Bashing in the Study and focus on the Swiss Guard which seems to be the OPs intent?

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fine by me - didn't mean to start the thread off down the 'wrong' road. I was guilty of a 'stream of consciousness' post-what-you-are-thinking-right-now moment :eek:.

To knock it back on the rails, from another martial arts forum I used to frequent I actually 'know' (in the internet sense of the word) one of the Swiss Guard. There seems to be something of a tradition that the job is generational as I think he is following in familial footsteps. I seem to recall him telling me that they are firearms trained as well so that they can do more 'ordinary' body-guard type duties as well as the ceremonial ones.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
OK, not wanting to go down the off the rails course with Surekin but i would not say all religions are based on fear and ignorance, I certainly would not apply that to Budhism. Where is the fear there? And surely that is more about self-enlightenment in all respects rather than propogating ignorance?

As for the Vatican guards, yeah they are meant to be great at H2H etc but maybe not at actual guarding, I see some clown/imposter almost got into the voting room in a fake bishops costume and got past those Swiss guards.

Ediaan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
OK, not wanting to go down the off the rails course with Surekin but i would not say all religions are based on fear and ignorance, I certainly would not apply that to Budhism. Where is the fear there? And surely that is more about self-enlightenment in all respects rather than propogating ignorance?

As for the Vatican guards, yeah they are meant to be great at H2H etc but maybe not at actual guarding, I see some clown/imposter almost got into the voting room in a fake bishops costume and got past those Swiss guards.
Well, he would have been outnumbered by quite a bit of cardinals, that fight would have been EPIC!

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard wrote:
"Maybe we can keep the Catholic Church Bashing in the Study and focus on the Swiss Guard which seems to be the OPs intent?"

To late Bob, this thread needs to be moved to the study section. Pity

Regards
Brian King

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To my anonymous Neg rep drive-byer ... are you sure you meant me? If you did then please sign your name so that at least I know whose sensitivities I have to take into account next time. It does little good to Neg Rep if you don't sign it because people do not then know what they can do, if anything, to try to correct the problem.

Regardless I am not quite sure how I was being a "Son of a *****" with my first post above, let alone habitually being one whilst disagreeing with someone (other than in general at the basic underpinnings of the Christian religions perhaps). I am also not sure that abusive language, even relatively mild, is proper in the context of the Rep system.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Agreed :nods:. It was just a general off-the-cuff statement without any caveats. I would try to say in my defence that in my mind Buddhism is a personal philosophy rather than a religion but I know it's more than a little grey over in that area :).

Now, noting Brian's fears on this matter, let's guide the thread back to a martial arts footing as best we can.

Status
Not open for further replies.