Guns are flying off the shelves

Journeyman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think people expect a ban on sales like the 1994 ban rather than a ban on ownership. After that, who knows?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Gun rights has been an issue that has historically been extremely costly to the Democrats. Why do people believe Obama is willing to squander his momentum on that?

If there is a true belief that Obama wants to have his whole train jump the tracks just to violate our gun rights, why is everyone buying guns most likely to be the targets of confiscation? Wouldn't a good Mauser or shotgun make more sense?

The AWB grandfathered in essentially everthing before a certain date. Normal capacity mags that ran above 10 bullets/mag were labeled as "LE only" after the AWB passed. But you could still legally own the regular capacity mags, the general public just couldn't buy them anymore. Purchasing more mags or potentially banned guns can actually serve as a potential investment as those guns/mags went up in value after the ban.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
I believe Journeyman and Blindside are exactly right on the money in summarizing the 1994 law, and peoples' expectations of the same.

But why the popular assumption that Obama will attack gun rights when it wasn't a major campaign issue, when he has so many pressing problems to address and when attacks on gun rights have proven politically catastrophic to Democrats in the past?

Turn that around - in selecting a gun for self or home protection, why assume that Obama will be 'only as bad as Bill Clinton?' Recall Sen Feinstein's infamous quote about," If I had the votes, I'd say M/M America, turn them all in."........... well, Obama has the votes...... so why buy guns you think he'll come after?

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gun rights has been an issue that has historically been extremely costly to the Democrats. Why do people believe Obama is willing to squander his momentum on that?

You never know... Bill Clinton and his promises that he wouldn't do anything to affect gun owners, should be a lesson that politicians are not to be trusted.

Some folks get quite bold when they control both chambers of the Congress, as well as the POTUS position. Sometimes, they overreach, and end up stretching into a bad position.

Bill Clinton did this in 1993, first with the tax hikes, and then strong-arming several conservative Democrats into voting for the assault weapons ban.

If there is a true belief that Obama wants to have his whole train jump the tracks just to violate our gun rights, why is everyone buying guns most likely to be the targets of confiscation? Wouldn't a good Mauser or shotgun make more sense?

Stopping lawful sales isn't nearly as difficult as trying for an outright ban.

He wouldn't succeed in trying to get a confiscation order done, since he would have to go through millions of people's homes, and in a Gestapo manner, demand that they surrender lawfully purchased property.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Okay - and let's look at what Clinton reaped...

Clinton's experiences with enraged gun owners should serve as a warning to Obama, and I believe Obama is intelligent enough to take the lesson to heart.

Bill Clinton started with control over both chambers of Congress. After his expedition into gun control, the Democrats took a terrific beating in the mid term elections, and as I recall, Gore later blamed the issue for his loss of at least 5 states in the 2000 election.

So, with gun control not having been a top issue in the 2008 election, and so many pressing other issues to tackle..... I ask why people feel Obama would knee cap his Presidency at the outset; why would he repeat Bill Clinton's course and squander everything he has?

Then again, if people feel Obama is that obsessed with the issue.... why believe he would only go so far as Clinton's half measure. Why not go all the way, break the back of "the gun lobby" once and for all by enforced confiscations?

OP
Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'll say this.

Watch Obama carefully. Watch him like a hawk. The first hint of him doing any 'Executive Order' or other such thing, alert the NRA, alert your represenitives, post it on the internet all over the place, even contact a few news papers like the Houston Chronical and Dallas Morning News.

We HOPE he will not take any action. But remember he is very inexperienced and no telling what his '300' advisors wisper to him.

Deaf

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well in the Senate one Senator can still filibuster a vote as the Democrats do not have the 60 seat Super Majority. I do not think that gun issues in general are very high on the Democratic agenda at this time and if they are one Republican Senator will be able to stop it.
icon6.gif
(Provided there is of course enough other Senators of like mind) Really I think this is a non issue as our country has some super problems that need to be addressed!

David Weatherly

Black Belt
Reaction score
Guns are flying off the shelves where I am too. Ammo is getting more difficult to find on a regular basis. The problem seems to be that the stores just aren't getting the full shipments that they order.

David

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Texas law says a fully auto fires MORE than 2 shots with a single pull of the trigger. Note I said TEXAS law, not federal. Unfortunatly federal law trumps state law in this case.

The Swiss have always let their National Millita people take their REAL fully auto rifles home with them yet low crime rate. They even have fairs where everyone comes and competes with their rifles! How I wish we had that here (we have some, IDPA, IPSC, IHMSA, NRA HP, etc... but not a fair for all to come to!)

Just picked up 100 rounds of M885 5.56 for 9 bucks a box of 20 (sad, used to be 3 bucks!) Happly I reload so the LC brass makes real good reloads.

Deaf
The Swiss require military training for their population, and can field an effective trained military force of round 2.7 million in short order. I don't think the average American is interested in manditory service, even for the optional 1 year the Swiss can do.

OP
Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes Bob, but considering how many National Guard vets we have now with combat experience, I bet our smaller force is alot more effective!

Actually, I kind of wish we had some sort of national service. It would straiten out alot of people who think the government owes them something.

Consider this. Our volunteer military does get their quota full. There may be alot more interest than people think. Not a form of draft, but one where they can serve in many functions, both military and non-military. One year would be fine to me.

Deaf

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good points. Can't say I disagree. Way back when I considered it, but my own semi-pacifist nature wouldn't allow me to do so, though the idea of driving a tank or fighter was "cool" back then. Course, life-long geek I would have been better suited to support than combat.

Bouncing back to the ammo issue, do y'all think that shortage is due to increased demand or reduced supply?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ammo shortages and price hikes are a result of both increased public demand -- and decreased supply because the military has increased it's demand.

We've been having issues getting ammo to train and qualify more than the bare minimum required because we fell behind the curve a couple of years ago.

OP
Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Bob,

Around here I've seen lots of M885 ammo for sale. Federal Lake City. Good stuff. Around $168 for 400 round case. So much of it I think it's more hysteria than real as for a shortage.

Happly I reload and I have LOTS of brass. At a garage sale I picked up some 10 year old CCI primers. Several 1000 round cartons of small rifle, small pistol, large pistol, and large rifle! They go bang and I paid $5 per 1000! Man was that a deal!

Anyway, I just sit back and let others pay the tarrif on the high prices. I've been a shooter since I was 16 and I'm ok.

Deaf

Latest Discussions