Ground Fighting

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen this clip trotted around as an example of how a Bjj exponent would fight in a given situation, and it's nonsense. A better example would be how the Gracies or Pedro Sauer fight. In those examples, the Bjj exponent is striking to set up a clinch and then a takedown. The ending position is almost always either in mounted, or rear mounted position, setting up ground and pound, or the RNC. Occasionally you'll see Guard, but that's usually when they fight against experienced grapplers, and need to tire them out.

I find it bizarre that you've seen the inverted Guard a "few times" in a SD situation when its pretty rare even in competition where the rules protect you from getting jacked up in that position. You don't even see it in the UFC, because the guy doing it like that would get punted like a football.

I think it's more from failures to apply a technique or the result of attempts to pull down, or strike to the head sending them down, I see my kids do this all the time. I've seen scraps like this very often in pubs, pool halls outside nightclubs at night etc. Commonly fueled by alcohol, but not always.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think it's more from failures to apply a technique or the result of attempts to pull down, or strike to the head sending them down, I see my kids do this all the time. I've seen scraps like this very often in pubs, pool halls outside nightclubs at night etc. Commonly fueled by alcohol, but not always.

You're seriously saying that you've seen people fighting from inverted guard in real fights, not in BJJ tournament competition?

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're seriously saying that you've seen people fighting from inverted guard in real fights, not in BJJ tournament competition?

yeah seriously, they were nowhere near as graceful as you see in the clip. They never started there, but went down after the first contact.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
yeah seriously, they were nowhere near as graceful as you see in the clip. They never started there, but went down after the first contact.

Not buying it, sorry. Inverted guard is an advanced, specialized skill for grappling in a position that most people aren't comfortable even being in. I train at a well established BJJ gym with several black belts. Only a few people at our gym play inverted guard at all and most of them use it just as a transitional tool. None would use it in a real fight. Inverted guard is not a natural position to fall into and no one is comfortable fighting in it without serious training.

You may have seen some drunk person fall down and flail their legs in the air, but that's not inverted guard.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would be really surprised as well ever to see it in a fight anywhere. More like what Tony said someone falling with their legs up but that is not an inverted guard.

Could I see someone transitioning through utilizing an inverted guard for a micro second. Maybe! Now as to the inverted guard itself. It is stupid! Stupid in competition, stupid in self defense. Just not a high probability and I cannot believe anyone would waste time on it! Not all thoughts or advances in BJJ is good. This is one!

While I agree that any sane BJJ practitioner would not utilize it during a fight. Unfortunately you fight like you train. His instincts might take him there and that would be unfortunate for him as he would probably get stomped!

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What would be the best method to get around this from the standing kids point of view. I'm thinking he felt pressured into the position from the ref, what approach should he have taken?

stand up straight and drop him on his head :)

you might be able to stand up straight and then collapse to the side so that you end up on his back with his legs round your head from where you'd be able to squeeze out and put an ankle lock on him - maybe......

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not buying it, sorry. Inverted guard is an advanced, specialized skill for grappling in a position that most people aren't comfortable even being in. I train at a well established BJJ gym with several black belts. Only a few people at our gym play inverted guard at all and most of them use it just as a transitional tool. None would use it in a real fight. Inverted guard is not a natural position to fall into and no one is comfortable fighting in it without serious training.

You may have seen some drunk person fall down and flail their legs in the air, but that's not inverted guard.
Nothing to be sorry about. If the guys in the fight wanted to be in that position by choice or not, I wouldn't know. As to their skill level, it's irrelevant to me as well, it's just something I've seen.

Drunken failings or not I've seen this, alcohol has been involved as I've said. But if they are in that position and try to, or attempt to, get a hold and stay down with opportunity to get up. They are doing it in my opinion, if they are a blue belt, just found themselves there or read it in a magazine I don't know. You may know better than to try this in real life as a tactical decision in an encounter, but I'll assume you understand the risks involved more and naturally go for other options.

I have to say I'm really surprised people have not seen it happen more. It's not overly common definitely, but I've seen it enough that it's been topical when talking with mates. I've seen it been successful as well.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

you might be able to stand up straight and then collapse to the side so that you end up on his back with his legs round your head from where you'd be able to squeeze out and put an ankle lock on him - maybe......

You'd do that in a grappling tournament?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Once again, we are talking about a sport with rules. This isn't a fight. Your suggestion is roughly equivalent to suggesting the batter in a baseball game should try to win by turning around and smashing the catcher in his head with the bat.

There are those within the BJJ community who would like to see grappling competition stay closer to combative realities, but as it stands it is a sport and you can't blame the people who want to excel at that sport for finding different ways to win within the confines of the given rules.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I went to the ground on a guy again last night. Some big angry dude come out of prison with no social skills.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KX3BacOqEik

Its a good one for if they are right up in your face threatening to bash you.

Mine was nowhere near as impressive as that. But bad guy wound up on his back with me on top. So winners are grinners.

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I went to the ground on a guy again last night. Some big angry dude come out of prison with no social skills.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KX3BacOqEik

Its a good one for if they are right up in your face threatening to bash you.

Mine was nowhere near as impressive as that. But bad guy wound up on his back with me on top. So winners are grinners.

You're a bad dude Drop Bear. I couldn't pull something like that off even if I tried.

I prefer the more subtle (no-gi) Judo hip throws;

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qJh-CcyRgDI

In anycase, I'm glad you're okay.

Latest Discussions